Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed good running engine from my 01 auto into another 01 manual and can roll over but no spark. Changed crank sensor but didn't help. Chased down basics of everything I could think of such as a potential anti-theft issue but that seems to be working. I was VERY careful with all the wiring and connections so I don't think that is the issue. Any ideas? Any inherent electrical problems with this swap? Thanks!

·
Registered
'96 Camry v6 XLE, '00 Camry LE
2,174 Posts
Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

Some questions:

Did you swap & re-use the complete intake and exhaust manifolds from the 01' manual (original) motor on the 01' auto (donor) motor?

Do you have an OBDII scanner that you can hookup to the diagnostic port to see (what) values the ECM is reading from the sensors on the motor?

Have you re-checked the engine harness -> ECM connections (lower passenger side engine compartment -> below battery tray),

and the Ignition harness lead connector ( back of the motor -> goes to the coil packs? )

Have you confirmed the ground cable is fully connected to all connection points, including the battery tray ground point?

Did you reinstall the motor ground strap from the battery tray ground point to a clean connection on the Intake manifold, upper plenum (usually on the last or second-to-last stud on the upper plenum from the back of the firewall?)

If above checks out, then would (re)verify all fuses are good in both the engine compartment and passenger cabin fuse boxes - and that the main and fuel pump relays are in place..

Hope this helps,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick comeback. Answers, best I can:

Did NOT use exhaust from the manual due to the cat appearing to have great damage... melted? Previous owner advised he thought his motor issues involved a plugged cat and I think he was right.

My neighbor's scanner, as I understand, can only read codes after or while a motor is running, was no help so that may be something I need to do.

I did not recheck all connections but I was paranoid about this when I installed it and really, really took my time to make sure I had them all and had them connected firmly. And, as I got down to the coils I did recheck that harness at the back of the engine. I knew it would be difficult to get to the connections with the engine completely installed so I really took my time.

Ground connections. Did make sure the battery tray one stayed connected and I know there was one more on the bellhousing, same side of the motor. Did not see any other grounds.

Ground strap to manifold, last stud, check.

Checked all fuses visually. Did notice both cars used a "main" relay in the spot where the fuel pump relay should be. Since mine was running fine when I pulled the motor, I didn't think this was a problem, however initially I wasn't getting any fuel either til I swapped one relay out and made sure the anti-theft was working properly. Neighbor (decent mechanic) thought the anti-theft would shut down spark and pump.

Since you mentioned the exhaust, do you see a problem there? They looked the same, maybe O2 sensors are different?

Really appreciate your input. I have not done an engine swap in many years. I come from the era where you unhooked the fuel line and the ingnition from the coil and the rest were bolts! Any thing you suggest will be of great value, thanks!!!!!

·
Registered
'96 Camry v6 XLE, '00 Camry LE
2,174 Posts
re: neighbor thought ant-theft would shut down fuel, I think that is correct also, the antitheft, when active, sends a signal/code to the ECM - but I'd have to re-check the ETM schematics to confirm this..

** re: relays - I'd be suspect if you had to swap (any) relays to get progress..
(If it was me), I would be considering replacing (both) relays with new, as a diagnostic step..

Crank/Cam sensor:

I would put the (original) crank sensor back in *the 5spd one,
and (swap) the cam sensor from the (original 5spd) motor over to the (new/donor) motor..

Did you have to disturb / remove the flywheels and crank position sensor ring from the motors during the swap?

That info may be important.

re: O2 sensor: -Providing the ECMs from both vehicles are from the same family-, then no, the o2 sensor should be fine: my '00 Sporty 5spd is running the exhaust manifold and o2 sensor from the '01 auto Sporty parts car here.

Fuel/Spark:
--
If you have confirmed fuel, next would be pulling the top cover over the coil packs, hooking Intake plenum back up, and confirming you are getting spark w/ an in-line test light,

If fuel & spark are present, try shooting some starting fluid into the Intake plenum and see if it runs on starting fluid only,

If runs on starting fluid only, would pull the return line at the fuel rail (passenger side, follow fuel filter line down to it, return line is next fuel line), with a helper, jumper the diagnostic port to engage the fuel pump and note if any fuel is flowing through..

And would be using a probe light / NOID light to confirm injectors have positive voltage, and are triggering / firing..

==
re: Old school, I hear you - the OBDII / ECM adds a level of complexity vs. a distributor and points setup...

I'd suggest obtaining an OBDII scanner that would allow you to view real-time data from the ECM.. my sig. has a link to the low cost (laptop/USB-based) one that I use here.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey, thanks. I figured it out. It's a "duh" thing. I know I said I checked all the connections, but someone oughta really point out the the connection to the coils is the same as the one that goes to the O2 sensor. Especially for us newbies! I simply switched them around and it runs great. Whew. Wouldn't want to do this swap every week....... thanks so much for your help!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts