Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, my first post here so be gentle. 01 Sportage, key broke off in ignition, anyone know how to retrieve the broken piece? been searching & have found out its difficult to replace the switch because of the airbag. Anyone have experience with this? any help is greatly appreciated:confused:

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Hi all, my first post here so be gentle. 01 Sportage, key broke off in ignition, anyone know how to retrieve the broken piece? been searching & have found out its difficult to replace the switch because of the airbag. Anyone have experience with this? any help is greatly appreciated:confused:
If there is any material to grab onto - a pair of needle-nose pliers, while -gently- rocking the steering wheel slightly, this to ease pressure on the internal steering column lock mechanism,

If no joy on working the broken key piece out, call a locksmith & ask their advise.. if they tell you the entire lock mechanism needs to be removed, either pay to have them do it,

or pull the battery FIRST, remove the column plastics, drop the driver's knee (lower) airbag, remove the steering wheel airbag / the steering wheel, the clock spring as needed, unscrew the ignition switch from the lock assembly, unscrew the auto trans solenoid lockout switch as needed, then -use a dremel tool with cutting wheel- to notch across *the brass screw caps* on the upper ignition lock assembly, so you can use a flat-blade screwdriver to remove them, separate and remove the lock assembly from the steering column.

Best of luck w/ the project,

Regards,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
3 Posts
ok well since it won't let me post new topics yet i guess i'll just post here, ok so i don't know WHAT the hell my mother did but she put my (2000 kia sportage) in park and tried to get the key out but now the key is stuck. You can move the key in and out of the ignition a bit but it won't come out, the ignition turns and everything lights up when you start the car but the engine DOESN'T turn on, and somehow the car is in park but still moves slightly if you're not careful. Any ideas what the problem is?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts