Kia Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
Just found the site, and was hoping someone would be able to help me out.
Okay so, my mom has an 01 Kia Spectra, and recently the clock, radio, and dome light don't work. From what I can tell the fuses are good, Ill give them another check tomorrow.
It seems like the lights on the radio turn on with the parking lights and headlights but nothing else. She also said sometimes she'll get lucky and the dome light or clock will come on but when she turns the radio on it goes out again. When I was in the car yesterday, I noticed the clock had some power and I tried turning the dome light on with no luck, and than the clock went out again.
Anyone have any idea of where I should start to hopefully solve this problem? Any help would be great!

·
Registered
'96 Camry v6 XLE, '00 Camry LE
2,174 Posts
Hey all,
Just found the site, and was hoping someone would be able to help me out.
Okay so, my mom has an 01 Kia Spectra, and recently the clock, radio, and dome light don't work. From what I can tell the fuses are good, Ill give them another check tomorrow.
It seems like the lights on the radio turn on with the parking lights and headlights but nothing else. She also said sometimes she'll get lucky and the dome light or clock will come on but when she turns the radio on it goes out again. When I was in the car yesterday, I noticed the clock had some power and I tried turning the dome light on with no luck, and than the clock went out again.
Anyone have any idea of where I should start to hopefully solve this problem? Any help would be great!
Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

Recommend signing up at the kiatechinfo website (see my sig.) using Internet Explorer (see reqs. on main page) where you can access the ETM electrical schematics for your vehicle,

--
This is just a guess, but if fuses are good, then would recommend looking at the ground-side of things: cleaning battery terminals, engine compartment battery -> frame , battery -> motor ground points (as long as you are there..),

* and checking the ground point in the passenger cabin compartment for the dome light / radio / etc.. - many Kia's use a (common) ground point for those circuits.

--
If an aftermarket radio, highly recommend removing / inspecting all connections behind the radio as well,

Hope this helps,

GottaCruise

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,866 Posts
Agreed with GottaCruise...
Try adding an extra wire from the radio frame/chassis to the body of the car and see if the problems go away... You can then search for the bad ground (or) just leave the added wire where it is as it will not hurt anything. The positive leads (power wires) are fused and the return/ground wires are not so an extra wire won't hurt anything.
The dome/radio/clock ground is probably the same wire and corrosion is probably the real problem.. When too much current is pulled through that ground it opens up.
Check all the things that GottaCruise has suggested...They are good tips..
Dave

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wanna say thank you for the quick replies, I was feeling it would be a bad ground as well, since like I said there was still power going to it at times. Ill check this out as soon as I get the chance, probably tomorrow afternoon.

·
Registered
06 KIA Spec5, 2000 HD Roadking
1,515 Posts
It may sound wierd, but check the tail light fuses. In mine if one blows, it takes my dash lights with it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts