Kia Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I.have a 2001 kia sephia and yesterday it just died on.the way home, now all it does is turn over but it sounds very weak like the whole motor isnt turning over i took the top timing cover off and the belt looks fine and tight cannot figure it out any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,924 Posts
I wish I could help you more... but with the little information given...I can only guess...
What's the mileage on it? What kind of maintainence has been done on the car?
Has the timing/cam belt been replace and how many miles ago and how many years ago?
If it is weak turning over i'd suggest getting the battery and/or the alternator checked..
A weak battery (below 12.5v) won't have enough energy to run the ECM (engine control module) and it supplies the spark coils, fuel pump, and engine sensors.
If the alternator is not charging properly the battery will loose it's charge and you will have the above problems.
You may not be able to see missing teeth by just removing the top cover and if the timing has jumped a few teeth (missing teeth on the belt) the engine won't run...
How old is the timing belt?. They SHOULD be replaced every 60k miles... Your Sephia engine is a non-interference type engine so "if" the belt breaks or jumps teeth it won't run BUT the engine is not damaged...Newer versions 2004.5 Spectra engines will be damaged...
I would look at the teeth on the belt and move the engine and look again. the teeth could be missing on the belt where you can't see...
This is a starting point to work from...
Dave

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,127 Posts
Check the tbelt, then we can proceed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi,
frequently when im on a ramp to the hwy or stop sign/light for more than a minute or so,as i proceed to take off the car seems to not accelerate with some minor shaking for a short period, then it picks up and drives fine. ...i have a trouble code of p0705 and am wondering will replacing the trans range sensor circuit eliminate this problem or could it be the plugs and wires and if not what would cause this to happen? my husband is able to change plugs and wires but he never dealt with (coil pack)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts