Kia Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, we've spent the last two days looking for ANSWERS/SOLUTIONS on how to eliminated the annoying wind noise that is generated with no luck.

Whenever there is a heavy wind and I am going 25 mph down the road or when I am going 40 to 60 mph (depending on wind speed and direction) on the interstate I hear a loud noise.

I know for a fact that it is created by wind traveling in between the door and the car (where the weather stripping is) because I can pinch the door shut while driving. I drove to a different state the other day and my friend and I each held a door shut (the front two doors are the only ones giving me problems. I am going to be heading to Iowa State again and would like to get rid of the problem so I don't have to deal with it on the trip there.

I understand that there have been other people that have asked this question. However, I looked for a solution to the problem to no avail.

Thanks in advance for any/all help!

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2002 did the same thing for the longest time and occasionaly even still if we are going realy fast (say over 85 mph). It appears to be an issue with aerodynamics, which is a good thing, but darn annoying. The wind realy does whip around the car as such volacitys that it's "sings" so to speak.

After a while you'll get so used to it it's won't even been a worry.

I am pretty sure ours only stopped, save for high speeds, because we wrecked our car and thus threw the aerodynamics of the car out of balance with the dents.

Course I am no car buff by any means, I am just going on what I know about aerodynamics from years of boring science classes. :)

·
Registered
2001 Kia Rio
107 Posts
I have the same problem with my 2001. I just turn the stereo up and continue down the road. :rolleyes:

However, I would be interested in a solution, though I doubt there is one short of redesigning the car.

·
Registered
2002 Kia Rio5
140 Posts
Hi. one question. do you have a plastic hood protector on your car? if you do it will make a **** of a lot of noise in a crosswind or a strong head on wind, especially over 80-85mph. also, on other cars I found it helped to spray the rubber seals with heavy duty silicone 2 or 3 times for a week and the moisture of the silicone expands the rubber and seals air leaks. you should spray seals 2-3 times a year to prevent them drying and allowing air in. I have been spraying with silicone or using Armor All since new and no problems.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 2005 (also live in Omaha Neb)--Really folks the noise is no small squeak it will curl your nose hairs :haha: Does any one know what we can do (aside from the accident fix) to eliminate the strong & loud aerodynamic humm/whistle?

I tried adjusting the door (passenger side) and it didn't help--seems to have something to do with the window or mirror Any thoughts??

·
Registered
2007 Optima, 2007 Sorento
716 Posts
Some wind noise may be due to the crack between the outside mirror and its door mount rubber seal. Some Kia cars have mirrors that do not seal properly and allow wind noise according to a service person I know. Solution is to unscrew part way the mirror so you can get to the seal and add sealant to both sides of the original seal. There is a disfigured mirror issue and not that the seal needs to be replaced. Everything is plastic and overtime shape can be affected by the heat and cold. This may or may not be the cause of your wind noise but worth looking at just the same I think.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, my noise only seems to quite down when my car is wet. I love the rain more and more these days because for the following few days I don't have to listen to that annoying sound as I drive to work.

Anyway, I know this doesn't help but I wanted to say that I have been drying different 'sprays' to try and lubricate the weather stripping around the doors. I will give the name of the product that works the best (I am currently on my sixth product with little to moderate success on most). I have been using different products on different doors.

I was also wondering if people seem to have the most problem with their drivers' doors, which is my case.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Originally posted by byron@Dec 13 2005, 09:41 AM
Hi. one question. do you have a plastic hood protector on your car? if you do it will make a **** of a lot of noise in a crosswind or a strong head on wind, especially over 80-85mph. also, on other cars I found it helped to spray the rubber seals with heavy duty silicone 2 or 3 times for a week and the moisture of the silicone expands the rubber and seals air leaks. you should spray seals 2-3 times a year to prevent them drying and allowing air in. I have been spraying with silicone or using Armor All since new and no problems.
Roger that! :amen: I found the same thing with previous cars and just got into the habit of coating the seals with silicone or Armor All whenever I wash/wax the car (couple of times a year).

;)

·
Registered
2011 Kia Soul Base, 2014 Kia Sportage LX + Pop Package
395 Posts
So would you describe the sound like a "whistle" but more... umm.. I dunno... like a horn noise? I would have that kind of sound when my Rio hit 45+ MPH into a headwind. It was amusing (Wow! This thing is "haulin ****!" lol) to me, but I can understand how it would be annoying. It was a "quirk" to me, I thought it gave the car a personality. lol

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In response to Benjammin...
Oh boy, I just can't stop laughing.

In response to kzoogene...
I have tried just about all the silicone and Armor All-type products I could find. - I haven't had any luck. - I think that my strips might just have to be replaced...I'm not the first owner and, the previous owner lived in Texas and might have just let the things cook (and dry out).

·
Registered
2011 Kia Soul Base, 2014 Kia Sportage LX + Pop Package
395 Posts
I don't cook with silicone. Nasty after taste.

That's my guess too, is that with all the dry air and such... that's a bummer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts