Kia Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I have a 2001 Kia Sportage 4 WD. It has been not accelerating well for a few months. Like when I turn it on sometimes it tries and then shuts off (like maybe once every other day or so) and when I start driving it takes FOREVER to get to even like 20 mph. The 1st time I drive it after a few hours it literally crawls for 2 minutes and then picks up slightly. Anytime I accelerate from a stopped or a slowed position it takes ages to get up to speed. The car will eventually get to 3500 or 4000 RPMs then back down and be at a normal speet. I can feel it shake a little and hear a thunking noise when I accelerate. At first we thought it was because there was a hole in the muffler so we had that replaced. No improvement. It is throwing crazy codes apparently and the guy at Meineke recommended that as a starting place but had no idea. The service engine light will blink then go solid. Its truly bizarre. Any ideas?

·
Super Moderator
1995 Procharged Mustang Cobra -- 2006 Grand Cheorkee limted Hemi.
4,426 Posts
Have you looked at the spark plugs? When was the last time you did a tune up? You need to get some one to hook up a scaner to see what is causeing the check engine to be on.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Hi! I have a 2001 Kia Sportage 4 WD. It has been not accelerating well for a few months. Like when I turn it on sometimes it tries and then shuts off (like maybe once every other day or so) and when I start driving it takes FOREVER to get to even like 20 mph. The 1st time I drive it after a few hours it literally crawls for 2 minutes and then picks up slightly. Anytime I accelerate from a stopped or a slowed position it takes ages to get up to speed. The car will eventually get to 3500 or 4000 RPMs then back down and be at a normal speet. I can feel it shake a little and hear a thunking noise when I accelerate. At first we thought it was because there was a hole in the muffler so we had that replaced. No improvement. It is throwing crazy codes apparently and the guy at Meineke recommended that as a starting place but had no idea. The service engine light will blink then go solid. Its truly bizarre. Any ideas?
Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

If the service engine light is flashing, that means the ECM (Engine Control Module (computer) ) is detecting a mis-fire condition:

There are several causes for this, but a common cause of this on our Sportys is a restricted exhaust system / failed pre-Catalytic converter, which is mounted directly under the Exhaust Manifold.

This "pre-Cat." has a ceramic honeycomb chamber inside, coated with noble metals (platinum), which converts exhaust gases to ( CO2 and H2O) ..
--
What happens is if the ceramic honeycomb (breaks), pieces of the ceramic block the lower exhaust port, restricting exhaust flow.

Without knowing anything else about your Sporty / what codes are being reported by the ECM (engine computer), above is just (1) of the items/areas that should be checked: make sure the engine is breathing ok, so exhaust restriction (backpressure) is not causing the mis-fire codes.

--
I'd print this and take to the meineke shop to discuss w/ them.

Hope this helps & Regards,
GottaCruise

1 - 3 of 3 Posts