Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,621 Posts
What is the easiest way to remove the oil pan on a 01 Sportage 2wd
Using the below link, please add location and vehicle (year & model) to your User Account/Profile

eg.
USA
2019 Sportage 2.7L V6 SX turbo AWD

UPDATE: Vehicle Information

Forum Rules

Tip: after updating your info, hit “like” on this post, and it will serve as a prompt to remove it.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 08 Harley Nightrain
10,621 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
632 Posts
Might be a YouTube video, or purchase a repair manual.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
"Best way" is on a professional shop lift - this is not a 'minor' repair, on the 4x4 Sportage it involved dropping the exhaust for the oil pan to clear for removal, use of scraper / removal tools to (separate) the RTV holding the old pan on the motor, etc.

It's a "doable" DIY repair, but be prepared for the vehicle to be down for a day, or three. ... Proper removal (not scratching the block surface), and prep is key to a good repair: I did (2) here on the 4x4 models when owned, took 2-3 days each time to get done, much of the extra time was for carefully removing the old pan, and cleanup/prep to install.

Hope this helps, GottaCruise

·
Registered
2011 Forte SX 2.4L (thankfully MPI) A/T 144K miles
1,318 Posts
… on the 4x4 Sportage it involved dropping the exhaust for the oil pan to clear for removal …
It appears that the OP of this thread is just another 1-poster who has left the building. So we're probably just having a conversation among ourselves at this point, but I'm curious about what you wrote above. By 'dropping' in this case, does that mean just removing the exhaust system hangers and letting it pitch toward the ground (supported by blocking of course). Or for the two you did, was it necessary to detach the system at the cat or header?

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Hi kiaguy002,

It was easiest to disconnect the pre-Cat. converter @ the exhaust header, remove the front pipe clamp, -and- drop the exhaust hangers -> get the exhaust "out of the way", to gain the needed clearance here.

It should be easier / less "intensive" on a professional shop lift though - I only had the vehicle lifted w/ about 2 feet clearance total (give-or-take), when doing each repair.

·
Registered
2011 Forte SX 2.4L (thankfully MPI) A/T 144K miles
1,318 Posts
Hi kiaguy002,

It was easiest to disconnect the pre-Cat. converter @ the exhaust header, remove the front pipe clamp, -and- drop the exhaust hangers -> get the exhaust "out of the way", to gain the needed clearance here.

It should be easier / less "intensive" on a professional shop lift though - I only had the vehicle lifted w/ about 2 feet clearance total (give-or-take), when doing each repair.
Thanks for posting the info, and it was just about what I was expecting. Who knows, although most of these 'signups' don't ever return, perhaps this OP will come back, and get some help from what you wrote. (or think better of it and have it done by a shop) But regardless, I'm sure that others will make good use of it in the future.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts