Kia Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my daughter was driving it and the engine died, got it towed home checked it out and I can only turn crank about a 1/16th of a turn, took it to kia and they refused to warranty it (I had just paid it off) any ideas. looks like I have to do it myself.

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,117 Posts
is the timing belt still intact?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Remove the Camshaft and check the HLA's. They are probley damaged and siezed, in which case you will not be able to turn the cam, even when the head is on the workbench.

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,117 Posts
how would this happen without the timing belt breaking or skipping teeth? seems to me it has to do with the timing belt.

THat is what usually happens in these motors when the belt breaks or skips

·
Registered
2006 Kia Spectra5
76 Posts
I take it this is a high-mileage engine?
Did the camshaft seize? or the T/belt strip the teeth off at the crank sprocket?
or is the engine simply not rotating 360' ?
I agree..........if the valve "Heads" are broken off = piston/valve contact. Period.
now just need to isolate why.
Check the timing marks before disassembly. If the T/belt was loose it may have jumped time...............then Crash!
If the cam seized...........same result...........Crash!

the timing marks will verify this before disassembly.
Unfortunatly check the valve guides to ensure thier not cracked/split.
this is common.
this happens when the valve is approaching full lift and contacts the rising piston.
the valve stem will bend, crack the guide then snap off the head of the valve jamming it into the piston crown and combustion chamber. locking the engine.
Check and make sure the #3 piston isnt damaged.
In addition to replacing the broken valves you will likely need to replace the valve giudes as well.
Worst case.................
If there is more wrong than just a flopping loose T/belt, find out now before investing any $$$ first in this engine.
If the exhaust cam is indeed seized in the cylinder head.........sigh, I would be replacing the head and checking the oil pan for aluminium debris.
AND.........oil pump, HLA's, piston rings, etc.......

This is where a "Longblock" becomes appealing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts