Kia Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there:

My 2001 Sephia was running OK, it seemed to be a bit slaggish sometimes under load, kind of a slight hesitation in the throttle response. Right before it died it seemed to be idling low and I was keeping the motor up in the revs. When it died I was doing about 40.

I replaced the fuel pump stupidly b/c I was sure this was the issue. Still wont start. Battery is fine, alternator is fine, starter is fine.

Going to check plugs tomorrow and replace if nessesary.

What else, I was thinking Mass Air Flow sensor?

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,928 Posts
I was thinking timing belt.... (died doing 40).
Commonly ignored by the owner until it breaks... I believe you are relatively lucky as this should be a non-interference engine. Later KIAs when ignored require very expensive repairs or total engine replacement when the belt breaks. Idling low usually means a dirty IAC (idle air control) valve.
Dave

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nah I can see that the belt is still good, I did it at 100k.

Didnt get around to checking plugs but am going to do it tomorrow.

It wasnt a consistent low idle, but would drop every now and then while in traffic.

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,121 Posts
You can see it without doing anything? Where is the cover? Or did you take it off? These belts have been known to fail, even within 30-40k miles. Are you sure... Sound to me like tbelt, or a loose battery ground.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the help guys.

Yes, the belt is good i checked it of course

However, I did notice, that when the ignition is on the IAC valve is emmiting a small buzzing noise, is this normal?

Going to take it apart, clean and put back together. Would a faulty IAC prohibit ignition?

Need to get this car fixed, cant afford to tow into santa rosa! :eek:

Edit: I should also note, I had a vacuum leak code for a long time, but was never able to find the leak. Now that the car doesnt run, should I go ahead and replace hoses?

·
Registered
1985 Subaru Loyale (wagon), 2000 Kia Sephia (sedan), and 1969 Mercury Comet (coupé)
2,881 Posts
... I should also note, I had a vacuum leak code for a long time, but was never able to find the leak. Now that the car doesnt run, should I go ahead and replace hoses?
Yes! ... is good time to change the Hoses, specially if they're Old or the original ones; the Buzz noise is normal in these engines.

Once I fixed similar issue on a friend's Sephia, it has a loose terminal, the one that plugs to the coil pack has a craked plastic housing and it leaded to misfire and sometimes the engine died... I Kindly suggest to check the plugs / terminals around the coil packs.

Have you scanned the Codes? ... Do you know if there is any new Code?

Kind Regards.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts