Kia Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2000 Kia sportage 4x4 4dr
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok a have a few problems. this is my first Kia and so far i like it. but i do have some issues....

1) 4x4 does not work.....it has warn manual hubs but 4x4 not working. lock the hubs in put it 4wd on t-case. the front axles lock and wont turn by hand...with it on ground... but tires dont spin.....any ideas? hubs bad?

2) right side turn signals dont work..left side great. the right side on dash the light doesn't come on but i can hear the flasher going very rapidly...no lights flash at all...even on hazards just the left side blinks...all bulbs been replaced and power checked to sockets...no power. any ideas on this? flasher under dash bad?

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
any ideas on this? flasher under dash bad?

Possibly, but would check -all- fuses for continuity, then recheck at the sockets, they do corrode,

and the wiring under the wheel well has a tendancy to abrade / degrade, so would be dropping the plastic wheel well trim and back-tracing -> testing for power 6"-12" inches from the socket itself..

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok thanks...how about the 4x4 problem?

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
re: 4x4 issue - you will need to verify the front driveshaft is turning in 4x4 mode: you'll either need to lift the frame onto blocks / stands at all 4 lift points securely to observe, or (preferred) take the Sporty to a shop w/ a professional-grade shop lift to check..

If the driveshaft is turning, then it's onto the front diff. -> the front hubs.. I'd pull, clean, and lightly re-grease the hubs as a maintenance item, regardless.

If anyone else has any suggestions, etc. for the 4x4 issue, please jump in..

GottaCruise

·
Registered
2-2000 1-2006ALL SPORTAGES also 96 dodge van to transport dogs and 84 gmc snow plow.
340 Posts
Jack the front wheels off the ground and support with jack stands. With hubs unlocked in 2wd rotate front drive shaft by hand,check if drive axles are turning.
no--- problem with diff.
yes--- lock hubs and rotate drive shaft the tires should turn. if not ,possible bad hub.
The warn hubs are not bullet proof they do fail even if they show there in locked position .
note , don't drive any longer then necessary with hubs lock causing premature wear. i learned the hard way.

Chief

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys, i will try this this weekend. but i did have it in 4x4 and tried to climb a rock hill in my yard and had my son watch the shaft and cv's...all turned but one of the cvs did not turn.

·
Registered
2-2000 1-2006ALL SPORTAGES also 96 dodge van to transport dogs and 84 gmc snow plow.
340 Posts
If your sporty was moving with all wheels on the ground . This is a indication you have a broken axle or cv joint or bad hub. Switch the hubs from side to side an see if the problem also switches . 1 bad hub an no front wheel drive, not a limited slip diff.
Shop were you must but i found that amazon to be the lease expensive.

Another thought - remove the hub stick a screw handle in the spline an rotate it . It should turn freely in free position an lock it the lock position.
chief

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok thanks. pulling it apart this weekend to figure it out.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
too much rain to do anything this weekend so far but i have another issue...the fuel tank is now leaking....how hard are they to replace?

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,961 Posts
There was a recall on bad (rusting/leaking) fuel tanks. Take your VIN to a KIA dealer to see if yours was one that was recalled.
Dave

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
really....thanks i will get over to kia this week. the person i got it from put a screw in the hole with some rubber on it. do you think they will still cover it?

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
It depends if the tank was previously inspected under the fuel tank inspection campaign - if the tank was previously inspected and has the campaign sticker, I dunno if there is any further requirement from KIA on it, e.g. replacing the tank - IIRC if the inspection was done & the Sporty Q/A'd as good, there was no further responsibility on Kia's part for further inspection or parts replacement. But you should call around and check/confirm this.

*Worth mentioning to keep in mind that if the dealer cannot be reimbursed for the recall repair, they will need to charge you, so I wouldn't get angry w/ the Service Mgr. over it - if no dice on the recall repair, (if it was me) I'd try to work w/ them and hopefully get a break on parts if you decide to do it yourself.

If no joy, expect to spend about $200 for a new fuel tank, new fuel pump ring screw set, and about a day's time changing out the fuel tank, if you decide to do it yourself.

*If the filter sock on the fuel pump is rust covered/impeding fuel flow, or brittle, you should change the filter sock also..

Recommend signing up at the kiatechinfo website (see my sig.) using Internet Explorer, where you can view the Service Info. for your Sporty / the repair procedures for removing tank -> swapping the fuel pump over to the new tank -> reinstalling the new tank.

Hope this helps,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
signing up now thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts