Kia Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2000 kia sephia
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, i'm moving this to a new thread as it seems to be it's own problem.

I have a 2000 kia sephia, it has run rough since i bought it 4 months ago and does this sort of 'chugging' thing if you give it too much gas while driving, it sort of loses power and shakes a bit, doesn't like to accelerate, almost sounds like it's missing, but if you ease up on the pedal it goes back to normal and you can accelerate again.

I'm about to move, and i decided to try and fix that problem quick before i did.

I replaced the spark plugs, the plug wires, and my valve cover gasket. The car sounded much better afterward, it ran for about 10 minutes, and then i shut it off for the night. The next morning i was going to take it to my mechanic to get a new wheel stud put in because i don't know how to do it without power tools, and the car wouldn't start.

I'm 99% sure that i did all the work correctly, and after inspecting the car i'm pretty sure it's not anything i did. The plugs and wires work fine, there's no leaks in the new gasket.

So i replaced the ignition coils just to be safe, still nothing. Checked all the wiring around the block, everything seems good. Someone suggested that my throttle body might be clogged up and messing with the iac, so i cleaned it out. The car will now start and run for about 30 seconds, but then it slowly chokes out. If you give it -any- gas at all, it instantly dies.

I have no clue what's wrong, the engine cranks over strong, starts up strong, sounds like it's running better than it was before, but then it dies. It will even go into gear, but if i give it any gas it dies.

Someone suggested i might have a clogged fuel filter, or a malfunctioning MAF sensor, and i'm going to try and check that out.

I just made a discovery; went outside, car had been off for about an hour, and i heard a noise coming from under the hood, just a little hum. Tracked it back to my IAC sensor. It was hot to the touch. I pulled it out to inspect, nothing looks fouled up or burnt or particularly dirty. I don't have a voltage tester, so i don't know how to check it.

Any ideas/suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated. I have 5 days to get this car fixed so i can drive it 1000 miles, otherwise i'm screwed.

·
Super Moderator
99 Kia Elan 1.8L, 17 Ford Edge Sport 2.7L V6, 15 Mustang 3.7L V6, 2013 BMW K1600 GTL
11,234 Posts
It would still start with a clogged Idle Air Control valve, just not idle right.

I'm not sure if your car has an Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) valve - if it does, inspect it and make sure that it's giving a good shut-off.

Also check the valve timing.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,922 Posts
If the car continues to run on starting fluid...I'd look to a blocked fuel filter... Most likely inside the gas tank surounding the fuel pump... Remove the back seat cushon bottom and you should see an access hole with a plate covering it. The gas filter/fuel pump/full-empty sender are located in the tank...Being a 2000 it's 12 yrs old and rust from inside the tank may be restricting the flow of gas...
Something to look at...
Dave

·
Registered
2000 kia sephia
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Solved:

Okay, so after many hours and dollars spent trying to track down my problem, i finally just got the thing into a mechanic and this issue is a fuel pump.

In fact, now that the fuel pump is replaced, the car no longer chugs when i give it gas. It idles smoothly, runs well, and isn't having any of the weird little problems that seemed like sensors or a bad oxygen/fuel mixture. (well, it -was- a bad mixture, caused by that pump) I imagine that the pump must have been slowly wearing out and producing gradually less pressure until it was no longer able to start. I have no idea why it would suddenly fail when i replaced the valve cover gasket, but there it is.

Thanks are due to everyone who helped me get as far as i did with it, you're all awesome, good luck with your future automotive troubles.

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,922 Posts
The old fuel pump was able to pressurize the rail but when asked to supply more fuel under a "load" condition it couldn't keep up with the demand..
Problems seem to come in twos...
Glad you have it corrected...
Dave

·
Premium Member
2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
6,127 Posts
It will start with a bad iacv, mine is starting fine, just idles really strange, sounds horrible at idle, sometimes jerks when coasting, ect.

ALWAYS starts though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts