Kia Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that the oil spot in my drive way is getting bigger and bigger and yes it's new oil I check my oil it was a quart low but sometimes when I check it I can't tell b.c the oil is all up the dip stick (-_-) I really need it to be normal there's no oil on the engine & spark plugs are changed so what could this be its not burning b.c it wouldn't be leaking but evaporating. or is it :eek:

·
Registered
Cerato S Hatch Auto
1,236 Posts
Most manufacturers recommend checking the oil level on a warm engine, after allowing about 5 minutes for the oil to drain down into the pan. Oil does tend to cling to the dip-stick in odd places, making it hard to see the correct level, particularly with a freshly-changed batch of oil.

To make it easier, I always check mine cold (i.e. after standing overnight) and make a slight allowance. When cold, the oil will appear about 3mm higher than the "warm" level. Whatever method you use, make sure the car is on level ground and always wipe the dip-stick first (a cooling engine can sometimes draw oil down the dip-stick access tube and give a false reading). Oil in a really hot engine will expand by about 150 ml, and this will alter the reading, but not by much.

Update: One car in our drive has the oil 3mm above Full after standing overnight, but if checked without first wiping the stick, it gives a reading that is 15mm low. Starting the engine briefly and checking immediately gives a reading that is 20mm low. Checking with the engine warm and after a 5 minute wait, it's spot-on Full. (20mm between Full and Add on the stick = 0.75 litres)

I wouldn't worry about a few drops of oil from an older engine. You will know if oil is burning (blue smoke), and the only time you will see a change due to evaporation will be excess petrol blowing off after "crankcase dilution" (Petrol getting into the crankcase in a worn engine with rich mixture). You will sometimes get a small drop in oil level with a car that has done a lot of city work and is then taken on the highway.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts