Kia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok just bought this thing put a water pump in with new idler spring and timing belt. I did not moved the top to gears at all during this install only pulley that got moved was crank pulley itself. Now it won't start. Question is would moving crank pulley and not the cam pulleys screw up timing. I figured that leaving the cams in the same place and not moving them would make it so I didn't have to mess with timing.

Any help would be great beings how all three of my vehicles are down and I need this thing for work on Monday.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Come on guys I really need some help just got done replacing plugs, wires, coils and coil boots still no start. I got fuel I can smell it got spark cause everything is new got air obviously but still no start

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Do you still have the timing covers off?

You need to turn the motor, clockwise, by hand via the crank bolt, and -verify- that the (I)ntake and (E)xhaust cam marks line up with the index on the front plate,

-and- when the (2) cams reach that mark, the (crank) mark matches (TDC) on the harmonic balancer pulley,

if any doubt, pull spark plug for cylinder #1 (CLOSEST TO FRONT OF MOTOR), insert a screwdriver or dowel, and watch rise/fall of as you are turning the motor clock-wise by hand..

DO NOT attempt to turn the crank counter-clockwise! If any doubt / you miss, continue turning the crank clock-wise only around again..

--
Report back that you have -verified- mechanical timing and all marks are lining up,

GottaCruise

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok everything lines up......I crank it over to start then check them again and the intake and exhaust cams on about 3/8 inch left of 12 o clock when crank is at tdc. I'm at a loss I gotta have this thing for work monday

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
It sounds like the crank gear was not aligned to TDC when you reinstalled the belt:

You will need to re-establish proper timing before anything else.. Read the post in the link, see Ron1004's posting of the procedure,

-If- you can hold the cams at the index marks (see my tip and pic about using a piece of flat stock between the (2) cams), you may be able to loosen the tensioner and move the crank pulley only to line up:

remove the harmonic balancer, adjust, and reinstall the balancer to confirm true TDC use the screwdriver in plug hole #1 to visually confirm if any doubt,

once lined up, remove the flat stock, rotate the crank 2x so the "S" position is indexed on the Intake cam, then tighten up the tensioner bolt.

--
Once the tensioner bolt is tightened up, rotate the crank clockwise to -re-comfirm- timing is still correct..

--
Ignition: make sure the short leads at the bottom of each coil pack are positioned over cylinders #4 (at back of motor) and #2 (2nd from the front),

long lead for coil pack on #4 goes to cylinder #1 ( 1/4 )
long lead for coil pack on #2 goes to cylinder #3 ( 2/3 )

--
make sure all connectors are in-place on reassembly if removed (MAF, ECT, IAT)

--
I am assuming you did -not- remove the crank gear and bolt, if you did, and have any questions, post back, will check back this evening, will not be available to help tomorrow / on Sunday..

Regards,
GottaCruise

·
Registered
Caribou, Otter, Buffalo
2,688 Posts
As you report having moved the crank and not the cams, the engine is no longer in sync (static Timing)... In this condition it will never start..

You must start from scratch,

First line the #1tdc(c), then rotate the cams so that the valves are on the cam heals(valves closed)... lock the cams in this position, install the chain....remove cam lock. Rotate engine (by hand) mark should still be on the timing marks

...Philip

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok guys timing wasn't the issue I had a homer Simpson moment connected wrong plug wires to wrong coils lol thanks for all the great info really appreciate it

·
Super Moderator
2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
6,959 Posts
As Homer would say "Doh..."
We all have those moments..
You are a lucky Sportage owner who now knows how to time your car...
I wish we could get more early Sportage owners going.. Some of these cars totally refuse to run even after checking and replacing parts...
We could use a database for common problems and cures for all to use.
Dave...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts