Kia Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Kia Sorento LX V6 AWD
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I’m new to Kia and bought a CPO ‘17 Sorento LX V6 AWD last week. Absolutely love the vehicle.

I test drove three of them... decided this one was definitely for me... and didn’t even bother to check the radio out as I did with the previous two.

The radio appears not to have the antenna connected... or the antenna performs poorly. No AM reception and I can only receive strong FM stations within 5-10 miles. Switching to Sirius gives an “antenna problem” message on the screen.

The Kia dealer has been awesome throughout the entire buying experience and promises to diagnose / fix next week... but I was just wondering if this might be a common problem or has anyone else had such an issue?

Thanks much!

Joplin-Kia

·
Registered
2017 Sorento LX
52 Posts
Hi all,

I’m new to Kia and bought a CPO ‘17 Sorento LX V6 AWD last week. Absolutely love the vehicle.

I test drove three of them... decided this one was definitely for me... and didn’t even bother to check the radio out as I did with the previous two.

The radio appears not to have the antenna connected... or the antenna performs poorly. No AM reception and I can only receive strong FM stations within 5-10 miles. Switching to Sirius gives an “antenna problem” message on the screen.

The Kia dealer has been awesome throughout the entire buying experience and promises to diagnose / fix next week... but I was just wondering if this might be a common problem or has anyone else had such an issue?

Thanks much!

Joplin-Kia
No problems here with AM or Satellite except in areas if poor coverage.

Sounds like an antenna issue. I'm sure the dealer will fix you up. Could be a bad ground issue also.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SX V6, Regency Red, Built in Georgia March 16, 2016 - Bought it April 28th, 2016
462 Posts
1st time I've heard of this issue, not common IMO.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Took my ‘17 Sorento in for service today. Antenna wiring and connections are fine. Tech determined that the antenna unit is bad. Should have a warranty replacement in house by Tues-Wed next week.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,246 Posts
Will be curious to know if that solves anything. Once you're past the coax, the FM should pick up fairly well regardless. There's no separate amp up there for that of which I'm aware.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will be curious to know if that solves anything. Once you're past the coax, the FM should pick up fairly well regardless. There's no separate amp up there for that of which I'm aware.
New antenna assembly did the trick. Dealer had to drop the headliner to install. Took a few hours. AM, FM, and Sirius all work like a dream now. Warranty covered everything.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,246 Posts
Good to hear. Got in under the 30K mile electronics warranty. Have always wondered why they're so nervous that they don't cover all of that with the 5/60.

·
Registered
2016 Kia Sorento SXL AWD V6
3 Posts
Just recently purchased my Sorento. I love the car but it has the same problem as above -no AM and weak FM reception. I'm assuming it's just a faulty antenna and an easy fix. I have a shark-fin style antenna that I believe is AM/FM/GPS and satellite all in one.

Brought it into the dealership and after charging a $130 diagnostic fee, determined that I did need to replace the antenna. However, they wanted over $800 to replace it. WTF?

From what I can see it's a fairly simple replacement process -pull the back of the headliner loose, pull the wiring and a wrench on the mounting bolt. Anyone know why they want so much or have a P/N for the antenna module.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They’re about $120 shipped on eBay. Search for “2016 Sorento antenna”. Make sure you get the GPS version. Factory OEM... but looks like the main supplier offering them is in Korea... so may take a few weeks to receive. Still MUCH cheaper than the dealer.

Kia’s audio warranty is only 3/36... so unfortunately this one is on you.

Just recently purchased my Sorento. I love the car but it has the same problem as above -no AM and weak FM reception. I'm assuming it's just a faulty antenna and an easy fix. I have a shark-fin style antenna that I believe is AM/FM/GPS and satellite all in one.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,246 Posts
A recommendation, often forgotten ... try a junkyard. Failures on these isn't common, so your chances of pulling a good one are near 100%, and may be cheaper yet. More to the point, you'll get the experience of dealing with the headliner on a junker first, and will have that working for you when you pull your own headliner loose.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for the reply's. First mistake was taking it to the dealership. I'm hoping that my bad experience was due to THAT dealership and not indicative of them all. They were WAY over priced on everything. As I said, they wanted $800 to replace the antenna. After saying no, I swung by their parts department and they told me the part alone was $399 -WAY over the highest price I can find anywhere. That stil means they added nearly 4 hours labor for a 20 minute repair. The specific P/N for my vehicle antenna is 96210-C6110IM.

Since it was suggested that this is not a high failure item, I think I'm going pop the headliner and check/clean the connections, etc. I had to pay that dealership a $130 'diagnostic fee' but at this point I fairly certain they did zero actual diagnostics other than 'yup, radio station has a weak signal'. While I'm not opposed to doing a junkyard, I there are several different models of antenna so finding this specific one could be a PIA. First, Ill do my own diagnostics.

That service center also wanted to flush/change out my brake fluid ($150) and said it's REQUIRED to be done every 15k miles. Second, they said there's a 30k mile REQUIRED "Fuel Induction Service" for $290. Add in new tires and an alignment (which was done when I bought it) and they were pushing almost $2600 worth of service. I have a feeling that I will NEVER be back there again. I'm surprised they didn't add in changing the headlight fluid on realigning the battery electrons.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,246 Posts
While I noted that this isn't a high failure item, when the symptoms you supplied exist, it's the antenna system that has proven to be the culprit more often than not. That said, assuring that the board has power up there is worth a look, and you're going to have to get into your headliner one way or the other. The GPS, XM and AM/FM leads and connections are separate, and having both fail concurrently is unlikely apart from a board failure.

While you're up there, pay special attention to the green wire that supplies power to the board. In fact, if you're handy with a meter, make sure you HAVE power there.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,246 Posts
That service center also wanted to flush/change out my brake fluid ($150) and said it's REQUIRED to be done every 15k miles. Second, they said there's a 30k mile REQUIRED "Fuel Induction Service" for $290. Add in new tires and an alignment (which was done when I bought it) and they were pushing almost $2600 worth of service. I have a feeling that I will NEVER be back there again. I'm surprised they didn't add in changing the headlight fluid on realigning the battery electrons.
Those are the ones we all wish were recorded. You could have a field day with a video of an event like that.

If nothing else, I'd at least let Kia America know. And no, I would never return to that dealer.
Whatever you do, don't let them align the spin on the battery electrons. That will turn it into a giant magnet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
They gave me an impressive full written inspection report that states that the brake fluid change is in the 'Urgent' category. If I fail to change the fluid my brakes could fail.
Same with the Fuel Induction Service that my gas mileage and engine power will suffer and my emissions will increase significantly. I'm surprised they didn't shame me on contributing to global warming.

·
Registered
2016 Sorento SXL
1,246 Posts
Your part number will be 96210-C6110, with the color code appended to the end (e.g., EM for black, IM for silver, WP for white, etc.) The part you specified is correct for AM/FM/XM/GPS in silver. You won't find one new much under $250.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts