2001 Spectra Interior/Tail lights turn on/off when they like. - Kia Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 01:23 AM Thread Starter

Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thread Starter (Thread Starter)
Exclamation 2001 Spectra Interior/Tail lights turn on/off when they like.

Hey everyone. I've been having this problem for a few months now, so any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

The problem is this:
Some days when I get into my car (2001 Spectra) I turn it on, and I get no response from most of the interior lights. I say "most" because while the majority of the dash and control lights don't work, the lights that tell me what gear I'm in, and all of the indicator lights (gas light, engine light etc.) still work. However, though they work the dimmer does not effect them as it would if ALL of the interior lights were working.
A friend of mine happened to be following me one night when the lights happened to turn off, and he actually called me while we were driving to tell me my tail lights had just turned off, though my brake, park and reverse lights still worked.
I'd assume it was a blown fuse or two (or three) but my concern is that the lights will randomly click back on again. It doesn't matter what buttons or dials I turn when they are off. . . they won't turn back on. But if I drive for no certain amount of time they will pop back on, or not. It also works in reverse -- I can be driving with them working fine and then they will turn off.

To make a long story short:
The lights that turn on and off randomly are: Gas gauge, speedometer, temp. gauge, A/C buttons and dials, radio controls (but not back-lit display screen of clock), lights in the power window buttons and the tail lights.

My power windows are also generally weak all the time and often slow down and stop before actually closing, so I have to back them up and try again. Is that just a Kia problem?

Could I attribute it all to loose or faulty wiring maybe?

Thanks again ** -- Linake.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 07:49 AM
Premium Member

Drives: 2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

Wire short somewhere. Hard to tell where. Its a hit or miss fix.. Or maybe a loose bulb, or have you changed any bulbs recently & lastley it could be the faulty dimmer switch. If you have a junk yard near you, Id pick up a dimmer switch for a few bucks and see if it fixes it. I know some of the interior lights wont work without the dimmer.

2015 Buick Verano Leather Group
2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
1987 Mazda RX-7 GLX

The Old
99 Sephia, 01 Spectra, 05 Spectra, 08 Sportage
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have a very similar (if not the same) problem. In my case, the dash lights, tail lights, power windows, power locks, keyless remote entry and rear defogger all simultaneously malfunction. They seem to not work when the car is cold and the outside temperature is cold. Once the car has been driven on cold days for about 10 minutes (but sometimes more!), all of these devises will simultaneously begin working. On warm days (temp above ~ 30 degrees), everything usually works. Any help on this will be much appreciated!!!!

Kia Forum > KIA Models > Kia Cerato, Shuma & Spectra Forum > Shuma & Spectra (1997-2003)