Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Bangkok, Thailand
Drives: 2000 Sportage
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a 2000 KIA Sportage and ran into a problem with the keyless remote shortly after I bought it. The immobilser stopped the car from starting. I called the dealer and was told I would need to have the car towed to the dealer, and I would then need to have had to have another keyless remote programmed. I was quoted a price of about $US 150 for a single keyless remote - not including towing.
I did not buy it. I went to the service department at the dealer and talked to the senior technician for quite a while. Eventually, I paid him some money fopr instructions on how to program a new keyless remote. The instructions I was given follow. They work with all Sportages - 2002. They are supposed to work on other KIA models.
1. Open driver's door. Turn ignition to "ON" position.
2. Locate the programming button on wiring harness pigtail. It is behind the left side of the center console (to the right of the gas pedal). It is next to the RKE module. (feel around under the plastic wall)
3. Press and hold the programming button for 15 seconds. The horn will sound 3 times when it enters programming mode.
4. Press the lock button on the transmitter. The horn should sound once to confirm the transmitter. Repeat for any additional transmitters. You apparently can have up to 4 transmitters.
5. Turn ignition to "OFF" and test transmitters.