post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

Drives: Sorento 2018 SX
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Thread Starter (Thread Starter)
2018 SX vs SXL in 8 seat configuration

I had assumed that SXL was only available with the 7 seat captain chairs but just found out that it is only on the limited option.

I am trying to decide between SX with the advanced tech package and the base SXL.

The only differences I notice are 19 inch wheels, chrome handles, fancy bumpers, different fog lights. Both don't get sunroof in 8 seat option.
The mpg seems lower on SXL (probably due to the wheels?)

Any other differences?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-19-2018, 12:37 PM

Drives: 2018 Sedona SXL
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I have a 2018 8 passenger SXL.

You are correct, the Limited Prestige package knocks it back to 7 passenger (first class lounge seats) and adds a sunroof. I think in addition to your list, SXL gets acoustic glass for the windshield, chrome trim side-sill and some stainless steel trim plates front and back (your description of fancy bumpers?). I'm not sure if the wood/leather trimmed steering wheel is on the SX-adv touring.

When I bought mine 5 weeks ago, the 8 passenger SXL's were much less available than the 7 passenger SX-L prestige models.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 07:41 AM

Drives: 2015 Kia Sedona SX Limited with Tech Package and Pursuit Remote Start New Beige/Beechwood Pearl
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

Tough decision, I have the 2015 Sedona with the Captain's Chairs and people have commented on how they are the most comfortable car seats that they have ever sat in. So it comes down to back seat comfort or more passengers/configuration flexibility. I didn't have the 8 seat configuration when I bought mine but I'd probably get the Captain Seats again if I had to make the decision today.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-13-2019, 05:07 PM

Drives: 2019 Sorento SXL
Quoted: 43 Post(s)

Hope I’m not hijacking the thread, but how is third row access with two seat belt installed car seats in the captains chairs?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 10:32 PM

Drives: 2016 Kia Sedona SXL 8-Pax, 2012 BMW 335i (F30), 2005 Lexus RX330
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles2go2go View Post
I had assumed that SXL was only available with the 7 seat captain chairs but just found out that it is only on the limited option.

I am trying to decide between SX with the advanced tech package and the base SXL.

The only differences I notice are 19 inch wheels, chrome handles, fancy bumpers, different fog lights. Both don't get sunroof in 8 seat option.
The mpg seems lower on SXL (probably due to the wheels?)

Any other differences?
I will only speak of the 2016 through 2018 Sedonas, I cannot speak for the new 2019 refresh, especially since there is no more SXL version for 2019.

If you are short on cash, need a van for your young family with small kids, and are willing to buy used, which I highly advise you (these vans depreciate despite their goodness and principally due to the general population refusing to recognize how good the Sedona are...), Continue to read:

1) I would have, and most people (if not @//) would be perfectly fine with the SX version, it has everything that you need and nothing that you don't. The only reason I got the SXL is because I wanted to splurge for myself for the additional cosmetic and bling bling bits...
I wanted the 8pax in the highest trim because this is a car/van we are planning to keep for 10+ years. (I don't like chrome wheels on the SXL, but I like the other chrome bits on the exterior).

2) I dont how many child car seat (if any) that you are planning to use on the 8pax configuration, but the Sedona UNFORTUNATELY and ONLY has 3 spots with anchors (BOOOOO!!!) The Other vans in the segment all have at least 4 or more....
The Sedona has two anchors in the middle row and only ONE on the right side of the 3rd row. (BOOO)

I wish my 8pax Sedona has sunroofs, 8speed, electric hand brake rather than the archaic foot/hand brake, auto rain sensing wipers, and at least 4 anchors for child seats, then it would have been the perfect van.... (A three pedal manual shifting option would be ideal, but I am in dream Land now)

I truly believe the Sedona is highly underated by EVERYONE and is unfortunately / sadly so easily dismissed by members of the auto press....

I test dove the Pacifica before buying the Sedona, I do not regret my choice.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

Proud owner of an awesome and cool (not-so-mini) MPVan: '16 Sedona
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 08:04 AM

Drives: '15 Kia Sedona SX
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I have the SX and love it. Chose the SX for the reasons above (plus marginally better MPG).

That said, I kinda wish I had captain's chairs and the surround camera (vs just backup).
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 10:33 AM

Drives: '14 Cadenza SX-L '16 Sedona SX
Quoted: 31 Post(s)

For '16 they added the surround camera to the SX (that's why I bought '16 over '15).
I had wished for 8-pass w/ sunroof, but since they're mutually exclusive I went with 8-pass.
SedonaXL8 likes this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 01:22 PM

Drives: '16 Sedona SX, '09 Genesis
Quoted: 29 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kia-Driver View Post
For '16 they added the surround camera to the SX...
That was part of the optional tech package. Mine does not have it.
SedonaXL8 likes this.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 02:03 PM

Drives: 2016 Kia Sedona SXL 8-Pax, 2012 BMW 335i (F30), 2005 Lexus RX330
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volfy View Post
That was part of the optional tech package. Mine does not have it.
The tech package is well worth it for both SX and SXL....

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

Proud owner of an awesome and cool (not-so-mini) MPVan: '16 Sedona
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 05:29 PM

Drives: '16 Sedona SX, '09 Genesis
Quoted: 29 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedonaXL8 View Post
The tech package is well worth it for both SX and SXL....
I like every feature in the the Tech package... except the 8-passenger seating.

My kids have outgrown car seats now so we need easy access to the 3rd row. That 2nd-row center tumble seat gets in the way and is useless to us. Taking it out leaves the 2 outboard "captains seats" without inside armrest.

Why they insisted on lumping the 8-seat option with the Technology Package is beyond me.
SedonaXL8 likes this.

Kia Forum > KIA Models > Kia Carnival & Sedona Forum > Kia Carnival & Sedona 2015+