10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Drives: Sedona 2018
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Send a message via AIM to botbswco Send a message via MSN to botbswco Send a message via Yahoo to botbswco
Thread Starter (Thread Starter)
Grappling with 2018 Sedona vs Odyssey

We are a 70 year old couple that have been driving a Sienna that we bought new in 2005. Great car. We started out looking for a new van in order to get all the new safety features which might make us geezers a little safer. We have eliminated the Sienna from consideration because of their proprietary take on cabin electronics and the latest facelift makes it look like a large mouth bass coming at you.

After hours of research, I put together the attached comparison of a Sedona SLX vs the Odyssey Touring, because there is no perfect car. Each has stuff we want and stuff we don't.

I would appreciate the guidance of anybody owning a 2017 or 2018 Sedona. I've never owned a Kia before, and a few things, like crappy mileage, scare me. Butttt.....my bride likes it better than the Ody. I could go either way and buy whatever I can get the best deal on. In the interests of "Happy Wife, Happy Life", I'm trying to get as much info as I can. Posted pretty much the same thread, except toyo vs ody on the ody forum.

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Kia vs Honda.pdf (27.4 KB, 247 views)
SedonaXL8 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 03:05 PM

Drives: Kia Soul!, 2011
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)

You don't like the gaping mouth of the Sienna (I don't do either), but you don't notice the Odyssey rear that looks like a mortuary hearse?
They made it slightly "floating" this year, but it still looks bad IMO.

Kia Sedona looks better, has a great warranty (10-year/100,000-mile limited powertrain warranty), more comfort features (at the same price level), tested top safety, non-turbo engine (a plus to reliability-wise in my opinion).
The Start-Stop system will be a pain (more expensive battery, more wear on alternator, starter, and even on the engine). 10 speed transmission is un-serviceable IMO and unnecessary complication/point of failure.
Also, on your pdf, Kia has better (higher) gas mileage but you give ++ to Honda? You want to use more gas?
You didn't research the window's solar UV blocking. Some cars don't have that and it might not be scary for you, but skin cancer is real for some:
https://www.autoblog.com/2013/09/06/...ainst-uv-rays/
Quote: "South Korean automakers Hyundai and Kia use window glass with an SPF between 44 and 48 in those vehicles they assemble in the U.S."

Did I say Sedona looks better too?

SedonaXL8 and k2hat like this.

Last edited by SoNic67; 01-17-2018 at 03:22 PM.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

Drives: Sedona 2018
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Send a message via AIM to botbswco Send a message via MSN to botbswco Send a message via Yahoo to botbswco
Thread Starter (Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
Also, on your pdf, Kia has better (higher) gas mileage but you give ++ to Honda? You want to use more gas?
Ooops! Got the gas mileage bassackwards! The Ody does have better mileage.

Thanks for your reply and the tip on the UV glass, I'll follow up on that.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 04:52 PM
Veteran

Drives: 2016 Soul SX - Caribbean Blue
Gallery: 38
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Garage

I put a comparison list similar when I'm looking for a vehicle. I would check out these two vehicles on Alex on Autos on YouTube as he can give you quite a thorough review (usually 25-30 minutes long) and point out specific features that you may overlook or not be aware of.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 06:13 PM

Drives: 2016 Kia Sedona SXL 8-pass with Tech Package, 2013 Chevy Volt
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

This is my first Kia and it has been a great car so far after 20K miles. I think if you don't have kids the Sedona is an even better choice than the Odyssey as the 2nd row infotainment and third row comfort are not as good as the Odyssey.

The major plus for the Sedona are the 360 camera (once you start using it, it really becomes a must have for larger cars) and you can probably get $10K off MSRP on the Sedona. Not sure what kind of deals Honda is giving for the Ody.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 09:15 AM

Drives: '16 Sedona SX, '09 Genesis
Quoted: 29 Post(s)

Impressive compilation! I think you are over-analyzing this just a tiny bit, though. Doesn't sound like any of the differences are a "drop dead" issue for y'all, so I would let the one who is going to be driving it more make the final call. Sometimes the most important deciding factor isn't one that you can quantify and write down on a list.

For us, not following the herd is a major factor. My wife calls the Odyssey the "school bus", because so many of her friends drive one.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-18-2018, 10:35 AM

Drives: 2016 Sedona SX
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Garage

You might want to look at the Sedona SX with the advanced touring package. It has less chrome than the SXL (18" machined wheels and body color door handles), has 8 passenger seating, and keeps most if not all of the safety features from the SXL. And it's probably a little cheaper than the SXL.

I'll also add that there is no map subscription. You can buy a map update at any time, but it's a one-time charge and it's totally optional. I did buy an update last year because there was a newly constructed highway near me that wasn't showing up. But I don't feel like I need to update it every year, especially because I don't use Nav very often, and when I do I use my smartphone. On your comparison chart, you mention android auto and apple car play - those won't use the built-in Nav maps at all. They will use Google maps or Apple maps software which is always up-to-date.

The Sedona also has HD FM radio, but I don't think it does anything for the traffic updates. Again, use Android Auto/Apple CarPlay and you won't need the built-in traffic.

The Sedona SXL and the SX with adv touring both have heated steering wheels.

Also, be aware that the Honda's push button tranny can cause major problems at automatic car washes. There's a very specific procedure to put it in car wash mode. If you just put it in neutral and get out of the car, it'll automatically switch to park.

new minivan dad born August 2016
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-19-2018, 08:02 AM

Drives: 2017 Sedona LX+
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

I think what it will really boil down to is to test drive the two vans. For example, the Ody is much lower to the ground than the Sedona. Some people prefer the higher ground clearance (I know I do, but that's because I can get over things like snow/plow drifts where other minivans will high-center), some prefer lower for ease of entry/exit from the vehicle. Interior quality and ergonomics are also another issue. Modern Kia's are often praised for the quality and ergonomics of their interiors...Hondas seem to get ragged on for their lack of buttons and touchscreen-only infotainment interfaces.

Also, I'm always weary of first-year vehicles - the Honda Odyssey is no exception. Things like the new transmission are big things to look at for me, and Honda does not have a stellar rep in this department. Sorry, but there's just too many "early adopter" flaws that always seem to pop up in the first year of production, regardless of manufacturer.

Lastly, take professional car reviews with a grain of salt - as much as their "professional assessment" looks at a vehicle, they don't live with one for any long period of time. Case in point, all the reviewers were GUSHING about the Pacifica when it first came out - that is until NHTSA started getting reports of vans losing power while driving on the highway.
k2hat likes this.

2017 Kia Sedona LX

Last edited by rougeben83; 01-19-2018 at 08:05 AM.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 02:32 PM

Drives: 2016 SXL 8-pass.Tech; 2015 Tacoma
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

I like the comparison! My thoughts:

MPG - our 2016 Sedona SXL is doing more like 18-19 combined. Long highway trips, 23-24ish? I tend to speed, but your fuel savings on Honda might be a little better. Probably not enough to offset the difference in cost, as you are likely to get a far better deal vs MSRP on Kia at this time.

Consumer Reports commentary on ride quality - I would put almost no stock in this. Drive them yourself and decide. The ride and handling on the Kia sold me. Much sharper than I expected, but still very comfortable even on the 19"s. And the engine feels and sounds good when you give it the spurs. Honda engines are typically very good too, but I expected the Kia to have "an engine", not a remarkably good engine that actually likes to play.

Arm rest - The Kia does have an arm rest. It's not attached to the seat, because the Kia has the car-like center console as opposed to the open space between that requires an arm rest attached to the seat. But when you sit in one, I don't think comfort will be a concern there.

Removable seats - can't make that call for you, but I suspect many overestimate their real need here for max cargo volume.

Last edited by Daddio; 01-22-2018 at 02:37 PM.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018, 02:35 PM

Drives: 2016 SXL 8-pass.Tech; 2015 Tacoma
Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mletchworth View Post
You might want to look at the Sedona SX with the advanced touring package. It has less chrome than the SXL (18" machined wheels and body color door handles), has 8 passenger seating, and keeps most if not all of the safety features from the SXL. And it's probably a little cheaper than the SXL.

I'll also add that there is no map subscription. You can buy a map update at any time, but it's a one-time charge and it's totally optional. I did buy an update last year because there was a newly constructed highway near me that wasn't showing up. But I don't feel like I need to update it every year, especially because I don't use Nav very often, and when I do I use my smartphone. On your comparison chart, you mention android auto and apple car play - those won't use the built-in Nav maps at all. They will use Google maps or Apple maps software which is always up-to-date.

The Sedona also has HD FM radio, but I don't think it does anything for the traffic updates. Again, use Android Auto/Apple CarPlay and you won't need the built-in traffic.

The Sedona SXL and the SX with adv touring both have heated steering wheels.

Also, be aware that the Honda's push button tranny can cause major problems at automatic car washes. There's a very specific procedure to put it in car wash mode. If you just put it in neutral and get out of the car, it'll automatically switch to park.
Kia now has Apple Car Play (not sure about android auto), but that pretty much obviates any need for map updates. Built-in nav is so quickly outdated, I haven't relied on it in a year, and our car is only 20 months old...

Kia Forum > KIA Models > Kia Carnival & Sedona Forum > Kia Carnival & Sedona 2015+