Drives: 2016 Sedona SX
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by snyper81 View Post
mletchworth, I just picked up my 2018 Sedona SX+ and this is one of the first mods I'd like to do so I'm very interested in how yours turns out!
I'll definitely post an update when it's installed. I'm in Korea for work right now, but I hope to work on it Friday after I get back home.

new minivan dad born August 2016
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 07:02 PM

Garage

Success!! Some parts were easier than I expected, others harder. Overall it wasn't too bad though.

I started by removing the front bumper cover. I wanted to be able to mount the ballasts to the body and not have to struggle getting the bulbs in. Just a few bolts and plastic retainer pins and it was off.

Next it was time to fit the bulbs in the stock headlight housing. I bought some H7 conversion rings linked earlier in this thread. They didn't work without a little modifications. First, the H7 bulb didn't sit flush like they do in the OEM retainer.

As you can see, the one on the right doesn't let the H7 bulb sit right. The one on the left has been modified already. What I had to do was grind three small tabs with a Dremel. I marked what needed to be cut in silver Sharpie. The center hole needed to be widened a bit as well to fit the largest plug coming from the HID bulb.

Here's what the plug looks like fitting through the hole. I took off a retaining clip from the plug so it was a little smaller.

limited to 4 images per post. See next post for more.
SpicyRed and rougeben83 like this.

post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 07:03 PM

Garage

Next step was grinding off one of the fins from the rear headlight cap.

Once that's done, I drilled a 7/8" hole with a step bit and ground a little more for the tabs on the large plug mentioned earlier.

I ran all the wires through that hole and fit the rubber gasket. It doesn't sit completely flush on the outside, but seals nicely on the inside.

Last edited by mletchworth; 04-22-2018 at 07:06 PM.

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 07:03 PM

Garage

Here's where I mounted the ballasts, after pre-drilling the screw holes.

Here's what it looks like after reinstalling the headlight. It's pretty well hidden and out of the way.

Tested before reinstalling the bumper cover. I actually tested all the new stuff before removing the bumper cover and headlights, but it never hurts to do it again.

The bumper cover went back on as easily as it came off.

post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-22-2018, 07:04 PM

Garage

I went with the 35w 4500k kit. I knew the light was going to be more yellow than the LED positioning lights, but according to what I've read, 4500k is the brightest color in terms of lumens.

I was feeling good about how well this turned out, so I went around back and did some debadging. Waiting on some black new-style K logo emblems with red carbon fiber inlay. I think I need to do something about that chrome horizontal trim piece above the license plate. It's either going to be matte black or Snow White Pearl.

SpicyRed and snyper81 like this.

post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

Drives: 2017 Sedona LX+
Quoted: 19 Post(s)

Thread Starter (Thread Starter)
I'm glad there are more people trying this mod. It helps for future owners looking into doing the same upgrade.

Just an update, after 1 year of ownership, the HID's are still doing fine. No degradation in light output, the same cannot be said for the upgraded halogen highbeams, which have started to dim slightly even with just occasional use in that position (not surprising as that's how most of these upgraded halogen bulbs work).

2017 Kia Sedona LX
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 09:27 AM

Drives: 2018 carnival
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mletchworth View Post
Here's where I mounted the ballasts, after pre-drilling the screw holes.

Here's what it looks like after reinstalling the headlight. It's pretty well hidden and out of the way.

Tested before reinstalling the bumper cover. I actually tested all the new stuff before removing the bumper cover and headlights, but it never hurts to do it again.

The bumper cover went back on as easily as it came off.

Hi can you show me the beam output of your hid? im from philippines

Kia Forum > KIA Models > Kia Carnival & Sedona Forum > Kia Carnival & Sedona 2015+