Convert positioning lights to DRL - Page 2 - Kia Forum
 6Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-10-2017, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Full Member
 
mletchworth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: St. Charles, MO
Posts: 79
Drives: 2016 Sedona SX
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Garage

Thread Starter (Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtb001 View Post
Hey mletchworth, hows the converted DRLs holding up? Thinking of doing the same to my van too.

Another issue is that these position lights are not designed to be DRLs, so they are not as bright as DRLs are. Are they that noticeable during broad daylight? Actual LED DRLs are easily visible when say reflected in the rear hatch of the car you are stopped behind, for instance.
6 months later - they're still working perfectly. They are noticeable in broad daylight, but obviously aren't going to be as bright as DRLs. Yes, I can see them reflected in cars ahead of me at a stoplight. But compared to other cars with DRLs, well there just isn't much of a comparison. Bottom line is you can see them if you're looking at the front of the van, and it looks cool. They're not bright enough to have any positive safety benefits during the day though.

If you want to test it, just turn on your headlights during the day. Maybe tape an index card in front of the main bulb to block the light. I could try taking a photo, but that never seems to do lighting projects justice.


new minivan dad born August 2016
mletchworth is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 03:43 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Maryland
Posts: 44
Drives: 16 Sedona SXL
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mletchworth View Post
6 months later - they're still working perfectly. They are noticeable in broad daylight, but obviously aren't going to be as bright as DRLs. Yes, I can see them reflected in cars ahead of me at a stoplight. But compared to other cars with DRLs, well there just isn't much of a comparison. Bottom line is you can see them if you're looking at the front of the van, and it looks cool. They're not bright enough to have any positive safety benefits during the day though.

If you want to test it, just turn on your headlights during the day. Maybe tape an index card in front of the main bulb to block the light. I could try taking a photo, but that never seems to do lighting projects justice.
I just turned the light control to position lights and then looked at the front of the car, and I agree, the lights are noticeable but significantly dimmer than factory LED DRLs, although they are probably as noticeable as halogen DRLs. It's a simple enough mod, even if it requires severing part of a factory wire harness!

Just to clarify how this affects the lighting system and how you did the modification:

1. Normally when you turn the position lights on via the stalk, the LED strips turn on, lights in both the front and rear assemblies turn on, and the interior lights adjust too (the instrument cluster dims, the lights behind all the buttons turn on, although I think during daytime the light sensor in the car will keep the interior lights unchanged).

2. So now that you've cut those 2 wires, the LED strips will always be on as long as the engine is on, but what happens if it is on auto setting or you manually turn the stalk to the position light position? I am assuming that the front and rear marker lights turn on and the interior lights will adjust accordingly?

3. I also don't have radar cruise control, so which particular fuse is that in the fuse box?

4. Which particular add a circuit harness are you using? It seems to have 2 fuses of its own, and the ones I see on Amazon just have one fuse in them. I'm not sure if that makes a difference, or if a specific type of add a circuit harness is needed because there's two output wires coming from it to go to each LED strip.
rtb001 is offline  
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 09:42 AM Thread Starter
Full Member
 
mletchworth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: St. Charles, MO
Posts: 79
Drives: 2016 Sedona SX
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Garage

Thread Starter (Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtb001 View Post
1. Normally when you turn the position lights on via the stalk, the LED strips turn on, lights in both the front and rear assemblies turn on, and the interior lights adjust too (the instrument cluster dims, the lights behind all the buttons turn on, although I think during daytime the light sensor in the car will keep the interior lights unchanged).

2. So now that you've cut those 2 wires, the LED strips will always be on as long as the engine is on, but what happens if it is on auto setting or you manually turn the stalk to the position light position? I am assuming that the front and rear marker lights turn on and the interior lights will adjust accordingly?
That is correct. Same exact function as before. LED strips are already on, and isolated from that circuit, but everything else in the position light circuit works exactly as it did before the mod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtb001 View Post
3. I also don't have radar cruise control, so which particular fuse is that in the fuse box?



Quote:
Originally Posted by rtb001 View Post
4. Which particular add a circuit harness are you using? It seems to have 2 fuses of its own, and the ones I see on Amazon just have one fuse in them. I'm not sure if that makes a difference, or if a specific type of add a circuit harness is needed because there's two output wires coming from it to go to each LED strip.
You need an add-a-circuit that works with ATR or APT fuses https://www.kia-forums.com/2016-soren...ed-micro2.html

I got mine from Autozone but this one from Amazon should work.



If you've never used one of these before, they work by splitting the fuse into 2 circuits. You put the original 10A fuse in the bottom slot and whatever fuse you want into the top slot (10A or less). I think I used a 7.5A, but 5A would probably be fine. LEDs have a pretty low draw.


new minivan dad born August 2016
mletchworth is offline  
 
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Full Member
 
mletchworth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: St. Charles, MO
Posts: 79
Drives: 2016 Sedona SX
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Garage

Thread Starter (Thread Starter)
Oh, and here's what they look like from about 100ft away. Overcast day about 9am. I think they would be more noticeable on a darker van.


new minivan dad born August 2016
mletchworth is offline  
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-11-2017, 09:08 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Maryland
Posts: 44
Drives: 16 Sedona SXL
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Thanks for the detailed responses! Mine's silver and it would be cool to have the LED strips acting as DRLs.
rtb001 is offline  
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-21-2017, 03:42 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Irving, TX
Posts: 6
Drives: 2016 Sedona LX
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Convert positioning lights t DRL

Then I bought one of those Add-a-circuit fuses and ran power wires from that to each of the tapped wires. I found a 10A fuse for Cruise Control Radar in the engine compartment fuse box. It powered on with the engine, and since I don't have radar cruise control on my SX, it would be perfect.[/QUOTE]

Hey there. Came across this thread and I?m thinking of doing this myself. Couple of questions. What size of the add-a-circuit did you get? And how are the LED?s holding up after almost 10 months?
BenW1976 is offline  
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-22-2017, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Full Member
 
mletchworth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: St. Charles, MO
Posts: 79
Drives: 2016 Sedona SX
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Garage

Thread Starter (Thread Starter)
This post has the info for the add-a-circuit https://www.kia-forums.com/1750321-post13.html including an amazon link. The size is for ATR MICRO2 fuses.

The LEDs are still doing great. From what I can find, LEDs have a general lifespan of around 50,000 hours. So if your average speed (including idling) is 20 mph, then these should last 1,000,000 miles. Who knows if that's even remotely going to be true, but I'm confident they'll last me the life of this van. There's also supposedly some decay with LEDs, meaning as they get used they get dimmer. These weren't particularly bright to begin with, but I've not noticed any difference since I did the modification.

new minivan dad born August 2016
mletchworth is offline  
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-01-2018, 07:25 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Sandwich, MA
Posts: 10
Drives: 2016 LX Sorento FWD 7 Pass
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

awesome thread, so im just running 12v power through an add a circuit in the radar cruise spot in the fuse box. Ill be doing this this weekend! (Just purchased a 16 LX and the silly warm blueish color annoys me)
breds2k is offline  
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 09:43 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Addison, NY
Posts: 1
Drives: Sedona 2015
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Just wanted to check in to see if you had any issues with the positon lights since wiring them? I want to do this to our 2015 Sedona, but want to make sure you have not run into any issues since doing it?
Atomi 4877 is offline  
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Full Member
 
mletchworth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: St. Charles, MO
Posts: 79
Drives: 2016 Sedona SX
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Garage

Thread Starter (Thread Starter)
Just an update: No Issues So Far!

They're still just as bright as before, no flickering, no warning lights, etc.

I actually have never gone back and soldered the connections, but I did install a retrofit HID kit (https://www.kia-forums.com/kia-carni...-sedona-w.html) and get some new rims (https://www.kia-forums.com/kia-carni...s-dad-van.html)

new minivan dad born August 2016
mletchworth is offline  
Reply


Top

  Kia Forum > KIA Models > Kia Carnival & Sedona Forum > Kia Carnival & Sedona 2015+



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



  Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DIY - Positioning Lights as DRLs josuet 2016+ Sorento 81 02-04-2019 10:28 PM
Positioning lights "burnt out" 76camaro 2014 - 2015 Sorento Forum 17 12-03-2016 04:12 PM
Brightness of Positioning lights / Loudness of safety systems shabx 2016+ Sorento 2 10-09-2016 12:11 PM
2001 Spectra Interior/Tail lights turn on/off when they like. Linake Shuma & Spectra (1997-2003) 2 12-31-2011 05:25 PM
Problem with Daytime Running Lights - Canadian Sorento Jason_S 2003-2010 Sorento Forum 5 07-20-2008 07:13 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On