Kia Forum banner

Full size spare tire 2016 Sedona

17K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  CochiseG 
#1 ·
Would anyone happen to know if a full size spare tire fits in the spare tire area under the van? I want to replace the donut that comes with the van with a 17" full size spare.

#2 ·
Welcome to the site!
I don't think it will fit. I would measure it to see. I hate to have someone say yah it will fit, and then you go buy a tire and wheel only to see that it won't fit.....

#6 ·
Thanks cobra259!

You may have to do more than measure it. There may be a fitment issue that you cannot measure for. Surefire way would be to take a wheel off and then try to mount in the spare compartment.
just remove one of the rims off the vehicle and try it.
I would try removing my wheels and see if they fit, but my van came with the 19" wheels. I was hoping someone with 17's tried to fit a wheel in the spare tire well.

My initial thought is that the full size is much wider than the temporary, so it would hang too low under the middle of the van.
Also, they give you a plastic bag to put the flat in to put inside, which would tell me the full size won't fit. Just take a quick look underneath and you'll probably answer your own question.
I guess my best bet would be to jack up the van and take some measurements. I'll keep you guys posted :nerd:.

#5 ·
My initial thought is that the full size is much wider than the temporary, so it would hang too low under the middle of the van.
Also, they give you a plastic bag to put the flat in to put inside, which would tell me the full size won't fit. Just take a quick look underneath and you'll probably answer your own question.

#7 · (Edited)
Quick and dirty rough estimation:
The first time around i measured over an inch and half of the width of my 19" would be hangin beyond the lowest point of the car.

The second time around i used a metric tape and measured the width of the tire to be 24cm

The width of the spare in position is at most 15cm, flush with the underside of the van.
Which means if it was possible to hook up the blown tire, it would hang out below over 9cm...

Might as well keep the spare where it is

sent from my LG Leon via Tapatalk

#8 ·
My question to folks who worry about the temp spares is this. When was the last time you had a flat tire?

I take good care of my vehicles, wash them weekly, watch the tire pressures and all...if something has a nail or a leak I know before the tire is flat. Modern tires are much better at resisting blowouts and such at speed.

For me I think it was about 10 years ago, I had a flat on my wife's then Toyota Prius. I put the temporary spare on and drove it 3 miles away and had the tire patched. That means I've had multiple cars between that time and now that the spare tires have gone completely unused on.

So I really wouldn't stress over the temporary spare.

#10 ·
. When was the last time you had a flat tire?
Had just purchased super-duper Contis; wife ran over something in the road that put a big ole hole in the tire (went in between the treads). Fortunately, the tires were still under road hazard warranty.

That said: Didn't use the spare: used AAA.

Oh, and there's this: In my old 2004 MPV (which my Sedona replaced), I had a flat. Lowered the spare (same setup) and it was flat and rotted...

#9 ·
I want a spare and I have had a nearly a full tire on its location. Bascially my spare tire was 205/70 but now fitting original 225/70 it does not fit (at least with full pressure in tire)

Any hints where to get a Kia Sedona/Carnival spares as I have not found any in car parts dealers in Finland. I even do not find a spare part number for that to ask from local dealer.

So question - do you really have a smaller size spares in your Sedona/Carnivals or have you simply fitted bit smaller tire in original rim and kept that on its hole?

#11 ·
I can count with one hand the number of times I actually had to use the spare tire/wheel on any of my vehicles in the past 30yrs. And I'll have fingers left unraised.

I've had plenty of punctures, but I always carry a string fix flat kit + a compact 12V inflator. It is almost always quicker to fix the flat on the spot with the tire/wheel still mounted, than it is to pull the spare... especially when the spare is tucked in like on the Sedona. Front tire is especially easy to get to, since I can crank the steering wheel to one end to expose a good part of the tire tread.

The only times I had to go to the spare were when the tire damage were beyond roadside repair, which have been exceedingly rare. In those instances, the spare worked just fine. Yeah, I couldn't drive on the compact spare like I would normal tire/wheel, but I've yet to drive to places where it took me longer than a few hours drive to a tire shop.

I'm sure I'll change my mind when I have to cross the Saharan Desert or Siberian tundra. ;)

#12 ·
A full size spare will fit, but due to the width of the tire it goes within 2" of the ground. I just purchased a 2015 Sedona and it only had a full size spare loose in the cargo area. When they installed it underneath for me, I found it didn't leave much ground clearance. I chose to take it out and keep it in my garage and I will purchase a temporary spare for underneath.

Attachments

#13 ·
I have wanted to carry a full size spare in previous vehicles but the space problem was present in all of them, Times I have needed a spare are at 1 for my expedition that actually had a full size spare from factory. maybe get a full size and carry that on top if you are going on a trip that will leave you in the absolute middle of nowhere where you would benefit from the range a full spare offers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.