post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-08-2019, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

Drives: 2006 Kia Sedona EX 3.8 V6
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thread Starter (Thread Starter)
06 Kia Sedona Louder Noise

Lately my wife's 06 Kia Sedona has been sounding "louder" than normal. On startup/idle it sounds fine, but seems to run louder when going down the road. Idling or revving while in park sounds fine but when driving down the road or accelerating from a stop it is noticeable outside the vehicle. Also, when accelerating slowly I don't hear anything but when doing a moderate or hard acceleration I hear a sound, for lack of a better term, that sounds like "air sucking" even from inside the vehicle (Not sure that is the best explanation for how it sounds, might try to get a recording of it). So it seems like the issue is only occurring when there is a true load. Also doesn't seem to be dependent on gears or RPMs as it starts on acceleration, any gear, and goes away before a gear shifts.

Anyways I started poking around and found a leaking front valve cover and thanks to the forums here was able to replace it and all spark plugs without issue. Thankfully it didn't destroy the alternator but it sure was covered.

My next plan of action is to check through the exhaust but wanted to try and get some feedback on other ideas.

Other notes:
- I did find a hole in the breather nipple located near the left spark plug and plan on replacing that but don't think that would be enough to cause what I am hearing.
- Air Intake Hose has been replaced previously.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 10:03 PM

Drives: 2009 Kia Sedona LX
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Are you getting a CEL at all?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 10:12 PM

Drives: 2009 Kia Sedona LX
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Sometimes a bad torque converter will make a "whirring" sound. Google torque converter failure symptoms and see if those symptoms sound like what you're hearing/seeing.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 08:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrrchavez View Post
Are you getting a CEL at all?
The only Code I have is P0051 for the Oxygen Sensor. I found cut wires when I replaced the valve cover gasket and am planning on fixing that today. I also looked up the torque convertor and I don't think that is the same sound, I'm probably just bad at explaining noises... I tried doing a recording from inside the vehicle and that didn't work so going to try again today outside the vehicle.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Unread Today, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Just following up on my previous posts. I replaced the hose and fixed the oxygen sensor without any real improvement. I would say that maybe the sound is more sporadic now and less consistent.

I did have a development on another front though. About a month or two ago I had a caliper lock up and took it to a shop to get it replaced. About a week ago Wife complained of a hot rim and burning smell in front driver wheel, but i couldn't replicate when I got home. Then when I was getting ready to work on it last week I had the same issue in passenger side. Took it back in and at first they said nothing was wrong. Took it home and immediately had the same issue, took it back and they said its the wheel hub but was sporadic. Said it was over 400 degrees! Quoted me $500 for one side to which I said no thank you. Parts arriving today to do myself. Maybe this is part of the issue. Due to this I wasn't even able to check exhaust yet but will soon...

Kia Forum > KIA Models > Kia Carnival & Sedona Forum > Kia Carnival & Sedona 2006+