No Problems only Solutions! - cannot turn over the engine. It seems to be seized - Kia Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

Drives: 2012 Sedona LX
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Thread Starter (Thread Starter)
Wink No Problems only Solutions! - cannot turn over the engine. It seems to be seized

For nearly forty year I did not have a bad day - it is a disposition of the mind - if the creator of the universe call me HIS son - how can I have a problem. Yes, I had some interesting day, even as I right this little note. Read: My 2012 Sedona does not start.

Last edited by ron1004; 05-30-2019 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Descriptive title added
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

My car is a 2012 Kia Sedona LX with 145 k miles – no oil consumption, very reliable, in very good shape. I bought it a year ago, a repossession by the bank, key chip function is disabled, driven 24 k miles without any trouble. Although a few weeks ago only one time it did not start. I cleaned the starter relay contacts and it was fine about 6 weeks. Then I drove about 10 miles to a meeting, parked it (it idled perfect for 30 sec. before I turned it off) and after 45 min. the car did not start I simply heard the solenoid click. After towing it home (I am a former mechanic and always repaired my cars) I replaced the starter after checking the relay, even bridging the start contacts. Still it did not start. Checking into it further I found that I could not turn over the engine. It seems to be seized. It does not add up for me nothing unusual before I had turned it off, full synthetic oil level with about 4500 miles, no noise or vibration.
Here is my question: What does the theft protection (IMS or IMP) do? Is there also a mechanical lock on the engine controlled by the electronic theft protection? Is it possible that in the process to void the key chip protection after the repossession the computer now remembers and blocks even the engine. Please let me know what you know even your opinion on the matter.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator

Drives: 1999 Kia / 기아 Elan, 2017 Ford Edge Sport, 2015 Ford Mustang, 2008 Harley Nightrain
Gallery: 13
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopsob317 View Post
My car is a 2012 Kia Sedona LX with 145 k miles no oil consumption, very reliable, in very good shape. I bought it a year ago, a repossession by the bank, key chip function is disabled, driven 24 k miles without any trouble. Although a few weeks ago only one time it did not start. I cleaned the starter relay contacts and it was fine about 6 weeks. Then I drove about 10 miles to a meeting, parked it (it idled perfect for 30 sec. before I turned it off) and after 45 min. the car did not start I simply heard the solenoid click. After towing it home (I am a former mechanic and always repaired my cars) I replaced the starter after checking the relay, even bridging the start contacts. Still it did not start. Checking into it further I found that I could not turn over the engine. It seems to be seized. It does not add up for me nothing unusual before I had turned it off, full synthetic oil level with about 4500 miles, no noise or vibration.
Here is my question: What does the theft protection (IMS or IMP) do? Is there also a mechanical lock on the engine controlled by the electronic theft protection? Is it possible that in the process to void the key chip protection after the repossession the computer now remembers and blocks even the engine. Please let me know what you know even your opinion on the matter.
What method did you use to confirm that the engine would not turn over?

Quality and not quantity counts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sig image is 500X100 at 11.7 kb

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

2012 Sedona engine does not crank

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron1004 View Post
What method did you use to confirm that the engine would not turn over?
First I used a wrench on the crankshaft pulley bolt. Not to over-tighten the crankshaft bolt I made a 4 prong wrench from a 2" steel pipe to reach into the crankshaft pulley holes. I could not even feel a bit of movement using a 4' long handle.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

Drives: 1999 Kia / 기아 Elan, 2017 Ford Edge Sport, 2015 Ford Mustang, 2008 Harley Nightrain
Garage

Quote:
First I used a wrench on the crankshaft pulley bolt. Not to over-tighten the crankshaft bolt I made a 4 prong wrench from a 2" steel pipe to reach into the crankshaft pulley holes. I could not even feel a bit of movement using a 4' long handle.
Try the same with all the spark plugs removed.

There's a chance that an injector did not shut off and the cylinders are hydraulic locked, or a head gasket allowed coolant to fill the cyclinders.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Try the same with all the spark plugs removed.

There's a chance that an injector did not shut off and the cylinders are hydraulic locked, or a head gasket allowed coolant to fill the cyclinders.
This is an interesting point but it is quite involved to remove the spark plugs. Before I do that, please comment on my question if there is a mechanical engine lock in the theft prevention system. If you are not sure, your opinion is also valuable.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 08:12 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
This is an interesting point but it is quite involved to remove the spark plugs. Before I do that, please comment on my question if there is a mechanical engine lock in the theft prevention system. If you are not sure, your opinion is also valuable.
There is no theft prevention equipment that incorporates an engine lock.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 02:46 PM

Drives: 2009 Kia Sedona LX
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

If you had no CEL, no low oil pressure light or no sounds like the timing chain was going or valvetrain sounds like the engine was oil starved, I'd say the likeliest candidate is hydrolock.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Ok, this is very helpful, thanks. Now I will take out the spark plugs and go from there. I will report on the outcome.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
There is no theft prevention equipment that incorporates an engine lock.
Thanks. In the meantime I have removed the new starter - see my beginning note. I found the new starter motor is a wrong type. Yes, it had a bit bigger solenoid but it fit well. I thought, ok, that is the needed improvement. But when I counted the teeth it had one tooth less than the old starter. Now after removing the wrong starter the motor is free. I returned the wrong starter for exchange. Thanks for your effort and to help me think through my problem. We enjoy the minivan again.

Kia Forum > KIA Models > Kia Carnival & Sedona Forum > Kia Carnival & Sedona 2006+