post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

Drives: 2008 Sedona, base model.
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Thread Starter (Thread Starter)
Ongoing battery discharge problem '08

In the few months we've had this vehicle, there have been three episodes of dead battery--discharge down to 5-6 volts.

After the first time we've been careful to turn the lights off manually.

Seems to me it must be some electrical load coming on randomly or failing to shut down. for instance, if a heater blower came on by itself that could discharge the battery. Or the fuel pump, or....

After recharging the battery all seems normal. This sort of thing is hard to track down (!). Suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 07:00 PM

Drives: Sedona 2011, LX model
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

If your model has that master elec. rocker switch to the left of the steering column...make sure it is in the off position. There are several videos that show how to go fuse by fuse to find drain. I would take the car in for a free battery/alt. check. Check for corroded terminals/connections.

Last edited by jcoast; 05-31-2019 at 12:29 AM. Reason: spelling
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 03:11 PM

Drives: 2009 Kia Sedona LX
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

For starters, a battery that gets to 5v is shot. 11.5'ish volts is considered dead.

Until you find the culprit consider disconnecting the battery or you're gonna keep having to replace it. Check the usual suspects like switches and relays, alternator, ignition etc. That aside, find a shop manual, grab your meter and roll up the sleeves.

I sold an old Camry because it developed this very same problem and I couldn't find the offending part. I got tired of it killing the battery, that's when I resorted to disconnecting the battery but what a pain in the butt that was to do every time.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 10:10 PM

Drives: Kia Sedona 2008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

On my 2009, the CD player malfunctioned and went into some kind of diagnostic mode that never turned off. Replaced it with a used one off eBay and stopped using the player entirely. You
Could try pulling the fuse for the stereo to see if that stops your battery drain.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator

Drives: 2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)

I have a 2008 Spectra that had the same problem with battery discharge... I found the grounds from the battery negative (-) to the frame and also to the engine block were corroded... Check for voltage from the frame of the alternator to the negative terminal of the battery... There should be very little voltage between these points.. (under .5volts)... With the frame of the alternator "floating" above ground the output of the alternator was 11.3v on my Spectra... Not enough to charge the battery and that allowed the battery to slowly discharge...I clipped a battery jumper cable from the battery negative to the alternator frame and the output of the alternator jumped to 14.3v...That proved a bad ground problem...

Good luck on finding the problem(s)
Dave
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

Drives: 2008 Sedona, base model.
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Thread Starter (Thread Starter)
Thanks for the suggestions.

I have one of those cheap digital voltmeters that plug into the lighter plug. I doubt the accuracy but they are good enough to establish that the alternator is charging the battery. So I don't think it is a charging system problem.

Agree that one workaround is to install one of those screw-down switches on the battery terminal. I've done that before when I couldn't track down a dead battery problem. Or, could use a solenoid/master switch as in a light airplane. But isn't there stuff in volatile memory--fuel trim and such? So this doesn't seem ideal.

It seems futile to check for drains circuit-by-circuit when the problem seems intermittent. I will try pulling the fuse for the audio system.

am
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator

Drives: 2008 SpectraSX, 2014 Optima LX,2006 Jeep Liberty, Linux Mint Mate
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)

A cheap LED charge indicator is just that "cheap" and not a reliable indicator of the actual charge voltage...

Have you added ANY device that did not come with the car?

GPS, Aftermarket Radio, Amplifier, etc...? Some of these cheap devices can start drawing parasitic current even with the car in the "off" position...

The best way to check for a parasitic draw is to remove the positive battery terminal and place an ammeter between the connections... Most cars today draw very little current after a period of around 10 minutes when the electronics "go to sleep"... A current draw of over .015 amp after going to sleep can discharge the battery pretty quick...

Try removing the "ROOM" fuse (usually covered with a colored plastic shield) This eliminates the "standby" current draw for devices like the clock or radio memory...

These videos show how hard it may be to locate the problem...

Dave

Kia Forum > KIA Models > Kia Carnival & Sedona Forum > Kia Carnival & Sedona 2006+