LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 07:37 AM Thread Starter

Drives: Sedona 2012
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thread Starter (Thread Starter)
I need a female connector to plug into my front blower fan.

I own a 2012 Kia Sedona 6 cylinder. Recently my front blower stopped working altogether. I checked all the fuses and they were good. I then decided to pull the blower itself and found that the connector that plugs into the blower was burnt. I searched the internet to find a suitable connector, but have come up empty. I was wondering if anyone here knows where I could buy a new female type connector that will plug into this blower. I did order a new blower just in case my old one was at fault. The new one comes with the male connector connected to wires that lead into the body of the blower. I'm very glad I bought this one, just in case I have to connect the blower directly to the wires that go to the harness. Actually, I'm very surprised I could not track down the connector that attaches to the blower. I'm sure others have had the same problem as me. Thanks for any help that anyone can give!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 08:27 AM

Drives: 2009 Kia Sedona LX
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Try searching for blower motor wiring assembly on one of the dealer websites like KiaPartsNow.com

I don't know that the connector is sold alone. I think it's a harness/assembly.

Or find out what model years that blower motor fits into (usually a range of year's) and see if a junker has that harness/connector.

Is that old connector beyond salvaging???
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

Yes, that old connector plastic is melted and the pins are burnt. I believe they were burnt to the point it stopped the electrical connection to the blower. I will try your suggestions and see how far I can get. If I do wire that blower directly, then I will void the warranty on it. Again that will be my last resort.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 04:49 PM

You had a short in one of the motor windings and it fried your connector and your motor is almost certainly dead.

You said the connector is female, so that means you have exposed male pins on the motor - yes? If you don't want to crack the case on the new motor - solder the leads to the pins and cover each with the appropriate size shrink tubing. Once you put the motor back in, it's not gonna go anywhere/move around. If you get a nice tight fit with that shrink tubing, there's no way you'll get a pin to pin short. You're just basically bypassing the connector.

In the event the motor goes bad and is still under warranty, just de-solder the connections you made before sending it back in.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 06:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrrchavez View Post
You had a short in one of the motor windings and it fried your connector and your motor is almost certainly dead.

You said the connector is female, so that means you have exposed male pins on the motor - yes? If you don't want to crack the case on the new motor - solder the leads to the pins and cover each with the appropriate size shrink tubing. Once you put the motor back in, it's not gonna go anywhere/move around. If you get a nice tight fit with that shrink tubing, there's no way you'll get a pin to pin short. You're just basically bypassing the connector.

In the event the motor goes bad and is still under warranty, just de-solder the connections you made before sending it back in.
Correct I do believe something happened to that motor. Though after pulling it, I tried it on a 12-volt power supply and the motor did spin up. It started slow then it seemed to kick in and then it went to full speed. I tried this many numerous times with the same result. I won't be using the old motor just in case there is a short in it.

The pins that come from the motor go into male type connector. On the original motor, the male connector is built into the body of the motor. On the new motor I bought, the male power connector protrudes from the motor by wires. The connector I need to connect the motor to the harness again is a female type connector. The exposed pins and burnt connector is the female one that comes from the harness. I hope that all makes sense.

On eBay, I did see a female type connector that may be the right fit, but the owner wanted $34.00. Ah, no way. So what I did is I ordered female and male type connectors that I believe will handle the voltage and amperage to make a new connection.

I may take your suggestion and try to solder wires to the pins that are connected to that motor, or find female clips that could slide over those pins and then connect the new connector to those wires. In any case, you hade a good idea with the soldering technique. It may be the technique I will use.

Thank you!!!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 03:38 PM

It's unusual but possible to short windings and still have the motor run. Normally when windings short it pops an internal thermal fuse that kills the motor entirely. It'll likely effect the rpms and overall life as the current draw goes up (that's what killed your connector), so it's really not worth reinstalling because it's a matter of time before it fails completely. If it were my luck, it'd be the next day after deciding to reinstall it!🤣😂

In any event, best of luck on your project, I'm sure it'll work out just fine. Btw, there's no way I'd pay $35 for a connector when I can hardwire it or create my own connection in under 30mins with stuff I already have on hand. Your local auto parts store or Wally's has everything you need to get that bad boy up and running.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 03:46 PM

Ya know, just a thought. I don't have a wiring schematic for that but it may be possible your blower motor resistor (it controls the speed) somehow had a dead short. I think the chances of that is small (like very small) but I suppose it's [possible].

If you haven't already I'd pull the resistor and check it out. You'll know if it's bad, I've had to replace mine and it was all blackened but mine failed open so I had no air flow from the motor. Failing open is what they're supposed to do but I've seen crazy stuff happen in my years... stuff you'd say, "no way"...but it happened. I was a bench tech for an electronics mfg for over a decade.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

So I went to Home Depot today and found these electrical connectors that will fit right over the male terminal clips that come from the blower motor. Each connector has its own plastic insulation so I won't need shrink tubing when I attach them to the blower. These connectors fit nice and snug over the flat male pins that go to the motor. I believe this will be the answer I'm looking for. I bought two different gauge types to make sure I have the right wire size. All I have to do now is cut the old melted connector off, strip the wires and then crimp them on the new connectors. After which, plug them into the connector that goes to the motor. Then if needed, I can just unplug them if a motor change if ever needed again, (Hopefully not while I still own the vehicle).

I want to thank rrrchavez for engaging and brainstorming with me on my post. If he hadn't brought up the idea of soldering wires to the pins of that connector, I may not have had thought about those electrical connectors. Thanks, bro!

Once I make the connections I will post one more time and give the final result. Hopefully, anyone that has the same problem I have had will find this post helpful! Thanks and blessings!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrrchavez View Post
Ya know, just a thought. I don't have a wiring schematic for that but it may be possible your blower motor resistor (it controls the speed) somehow had a dead short. I think the chances of that is small (like very small) but I suppose it's [possible].

If you haven't already I'd pull the resistor and check it out. You'll know if it's bad, I've had to replace mine and it was all blackened but mine failed open so I had no air flow from the motor. Failing open is what they're supposed to do but I've seen crazy stuff happen in my years... stuff you'd say, "no way"...but it happened. I was a bench tech for an electronics mfg for over a decade.
Yeah, I will attach these connectors first and then see if the motor works through all the speeds. If not, that resistor will be next, but as you said, I don't trust that original blower/motor either so I will attach the new one.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 09:57 PM

Nice to see it all coming together. 👍

Kia Forum > KIA Models > Kia Carnival & Sedona Forum > Kia Carnival & Sedona 2006+