Low Oil Pressure at Idle When Warm-P0011/P0021 Codes After Oil Change - Kia Forum

 2Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 29
Drives: 2007 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Kia Sedona, 2005 Infiniti Q45, 1971 Buick Centurion Convertible
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Thread Starter (Thread Starter)
Low Oil Pressure at Idle When Warm-P0011/P0021 Codes After Oil Change

My 2007 Sedona with 150,000 miles all of a sudden started to have low oil pressure at idle when warm and set DTCs P0011- "A" Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance (Bank 1) and P0021 - "A" Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance (Bank 2). This occurred within an hour after an oil change at Walmart. I provided the oil filter to be used in the oil change. I use the Auto 7 brand which is Korean OEM. The crankcase has the appropriate amount of oil in it and the filter housing shows no leakage. When warm the "Low Oil Pressure" instrument panel light comes on at idle and stays illuminated until about 1,000 RPM.

Could this problem be a result of the oil change somehow? Is is possible that the filter could have been installed incorrectly causing a low oil pressure condition or that some super thin oil was installed instead of the 5W-20 that the window reminder sticker says was used? After all the oil changes I've had in my Hyundai/Kia vehicles of this generation with no ill effects, I'm thinking not but stranger things have been known to happen.

Could it be that a VVT oil control valve is stuck open by a dislodged screen as has been mentioned in other threads and the timing of this happening right after an oil change is purely coincidental?

Of course, a weak oil pump is also a possibility but oil pumps are famously durable.

Any suggestions anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

BadDog42 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 07:46 AM
Expert
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Northeast
Posts: 956
Drives: 2011 Forte SX 2.4L (thankfully MPI) A/T 137K miles
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadDog42 View Post
... This occurred within an hour after an oil change at Walmart. ....
I'd prefer to be less critical, but frankly you're just asking for something bad to happen by having your oil changed at Walmart (or any of the fast lubes for that matter). Yes, the timing COULD just be coincidence, but IMO it's highly likely that some serious mistake was made during the oil change. It's pointless to speculate on what they did wrong, because what's done is done, and it's likely that permanent damage has already been done to the engine.

So you need to decide if you're going to go after Walmart. If you have plans to do that, then I highly recommend that you take the vehicle to an quality independent shop, in order to get their opinion. Perhaps they can find a smoking gun, or tell you how much effort (i.e. $$) it would take to try and prove a mistake on the part of Walmart.
ron1004 likes this.
kiaguy002 is online now  
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 07:57 AM
Super Moderator
 
ron1004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 8,466
Drives: 1999 Kia / 기아 Elan, 2017 Ford Edge Sport, 2015 Ford Mustang, 2008 Harley Nightrain
Gallery: 13
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadDog42 View Post
My 2007 Sedona with 150,000 miles all of a sudden started to have low oil pressure at idle when warm and set DTCs P0011- "A" Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance (Bank 1) and P0021 - "A" Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Advanced or System Performance (Bank 2). This occurred within an hour after an oil change at Walmart. I provided the oil filter to be used in the oil change. I use the Auto 7 brand which is Korean OEM. The crankcase has the appropriate amount of oil in it and the filter housing shows no leakage. When warm the "Low Oil Pressure" instrument panel light comes on at idle and stays illuminated until about 1,000 RPM.

Could this problem be a result of the oil change somehow? Is is possible that the filter could have been installed incorrectly causing a low oil pressure condition or that some super thin oil was installed instead of the 5W-20 that the window reminder sticker says was used? After all the oil changes I've had in my Hyundai/Kia vehicles of this generation with no ill effects, I'm thinking not but stranger things have been known to happen.

Could it be that a VVT oil control valve is stuck open by a dislodged screen as has been mentioned in other threads and the timing of this happening right after an oil change is purely coincidental?

Of course, a weak oil pump is also a possibility but oil pumps are famously durable.

Any suggestions anyone has would be greatly appreciated.
If it was me, with all the unknowns and the poor reputation of Walmart (most quick lube places), I'd be getting some good brand name full synthetic oil, a Kia filter and install this ASAP.

The lube oil pressure is used as hydraulic oil for the VVT, so not surprised at the codes.

I would not drive it like this.

Quality and not quantity counts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sig image is 500X100 at 11.7 kb
ron1004 is offline  
 
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 29
Drives: 2007 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Kia Sedona, 2005 Infiniti Q45, 1971 Buick Centurion Convertible
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Thread Starter (Thread Starter)
kiaguy2002/ron1004 - Thanks for the quick replies. Since discovering the problem, I have parked the van until I figure out what's going on. The engine does not exhibit any valve train "clattering" or overheating so maybe it hasn't been destroyed (yet). I think Ron's suggestion of draining out whatever is in the crankcase and putting in a new filter is probably the first thing to do. Who knows, maybe the Walmart techs filled the crackcase with power steering fluid.
BadDog42 is offline  
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 09:13 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Washington
Posts: 65
Drives: 2009 Kia Sedona LX
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

I had this problem when I put in a stop leak additive. It thinned out the oil too much. I drained the oil and the CEL went away almost immediately. I suppose you could have a bad sensor but I'd say it's too coincidental having it occur after the oil change.
rrrchavez is offline  
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 09:20 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Washington
Posts: 65
Drives: 2009 Kia Sedona LX
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Fwiw, I've never used Wally's for an oil change but I have used Valvoline when I don't feel like doing it myself (which is rare). Never had a problem with the local Valvoline shop changing the oil - I've used them a couple times. It's pretty hard to f#$k up an oil change. Most of the times people mess up an oil change is by stripping the threads on the plug and I've had a shop do that to me on a previous car I owned. That's why I do it myself 99% of the time.
rrrchavez is offline  
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 29
Drives: 2007 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Kia Sedona, 2005 Infiniti Q45, 1971 Buick Centurion Convertible
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Thread Starter (Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrrchavez View Post
Fwiw, I've never used Wally's for an oil change but I have used Valvoline when I don't feel like doing it myself (which is rare). Never had a problem with the local Valvoline shop changing the oil - I've used them a couple times. It's pretty hard to f#$k up an oil change. Most of the times people mess up an oil change is by stripping the threads on the plug and I've had a shop do that to me on a previous car I owned. That's why I do it myself 99% of the time.
rrrchavez - I figured the oil was too thin as well and drained it, put in proper weight (5W-20) replacement oil and a new filter and still get a low oil pressure light on the dash at idle/low RPM. It's possible that it could be the sensor and that it's just coincidence that it went bad after an oil change at Walmart. I'll replace it and see what happens. I've only driven it a couple of miles since the oil change so I don't know if it will set the P0011 and P0021 DTCs as originally described (I reset these codes after I changed the oil).
BadDog42 is offline  
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator
 
ron1004's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 8,466
Drives: 1999 Kia / 기아 Elan, 2017 Ford Edge Sport, 2015 Ford Mustang, 2008 Harley Nightrain
Gallery: 13
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadDog42 View Post
rrrchavez - I figured the oil was too thin as well and drained it, put in proper weight (5W-20) replacement oil and a new filter and still get a low oil pressure light on the dash at idle/low RPM. It's possible that it could be the sensor and that it's just coincidence that it went bad after an oil change at Walmart. I'll replace it and see what happens. I've only driven it a couple of miles since the oil change so I don't know if it will set the P0011 and P0021 DTCs as originally described (I reset these codes after I changed the oil).
Your best bet would be to get an oil pressure gauge fitted to find out where the oil pressure really is.

The stock pressure switches aren't very accurate, but normally quite reliable, and typically indicate low pressure when its actually dangerously low.

Quality and not quantity counts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sig image is 500X100 at 11.7 kb
ron1004 is offline  
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 10:36 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: NSW
Posts: 24
Drives: 2010 Grand Carnival/Sedona 3.8
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

If the problem started immediately after an oil and filter change I would think that something
may have gone wrong there. I bought an oil filter from a Kia dealer once and was told that there are
three different length ones for this engine depending on the size of the canister.
Even after giving them my VIN they gave me the wrong one.

Double check that the filter bottoms out in the canister and that the top and bottom o rings are in good condition.
If the oil filter is not seated properly it will cause low oil pressure. After oil is pumped through the filter it
goes to the camshafts where the OCV are located which may be causing your codes.
discoken is offline  
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 10:30 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Washington
Posts: 65
Drives: 2009 Kia Sedona LX
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

.

Getting the pressure checked is an excellent suggestion and is what I would do at this point.

Just curious, you didn't do an engine flush before the change did you?
rrrchavez is offline  
Reply


Top

  Kia Forum > KIA Models > Kia Carnival & Sedona Forum > Kia Carnival & Sedona 2006+



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



  Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
All Of The Kia Trouble Codes! 1fastkia Do it Yourself 15 12-03-2015 10:36 AM
new 2004.5 spectra ex owner thefishGuy Cerato (2003 - 2008) & Spectra5 (2004) 10 11-05-2007 11:58 PM
Error Codes Raven1210 2G (2006 - 2011) Rio & Rio5 0 06-20-2007 12:15 AM
Error Codes Raven1210 1G (2001-2005) Rio 0 06-19-2007 11:57 PM
Help Needed.!!!!!!!!!! JaGGeR21 2G (1998 - 2001) Sephia 1 12-11-2006 10:42 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On