post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Drives: 2008 Sedona
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Thread Starter (Thread Starter)
sedona sudden pulling when accelerating

We have a 2008 sedona. For a while now we've noticed that when you're in 2nd or 3rd gear accelerating, the van will pull to the left. It's not like an alignment issue where it's a constant pull but a sudden jerk to the left where you have to pull to the right to correct... and then it's gone and fine. It doesn't do it all the time, but a lot of times and only when accelerating. Any idea what might be going on?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator

Drives: 2015 KIA Sorento LX 2.4L & 2018 Chrysler 300 Limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)

well its called torque steering as the drive shaft is smaller on left than right do a search most of the time its not a problem.

Torque steer
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Torque steer is the unintended influence of engine torque on the steering, especially in front-wheel drive vehicles. For example, during heavy acceleration the steering may pull to one side, which may be disturbing to the driver. The effect is manifested either as a tugging sensation in the steering wheel, or a veering of the vehicle from the intended path. Torque steer is directly related to differences in the forces in the contact patches of the left and right drive wheels. The effect becomes more evident when high torques are applied to the drive wheels either because of a high overall reduction ratio between the engine and wheels,[1] high engine torque, or some combination of the two. Torque steer is distinct from steering kickback.

Last edited by jetech00001; 04-21-2019 at 03:32 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Drives: 2008 Sedona
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Thread Starter (Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetech00001 View Post
well its called torque steering as the drive shaft is smaller on left than right do a search most of the time its not a problem.

Torque steer
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Torque steer is the unintended influence of engine torque on the steering, especially in front-wheel drive vehicles. For example, during heavy acceleration the steering may pull to one side, which may be disturbing to the driver. The effect is manifested either as a tugging sensation in the steering wheel, or a veering of the vehicle from the intended path. Torque steer is directly related to differences in the forces in the contact patches of the left and right drive wheels. The effect becomes more evident when high torques are applied to the drive wheels either because of a high overall reduction ratio between the engine and wheels,[1] high engine torque, or some combination of the two. Torque steer is distinct from steering kickback.
Thanks. Sounds like something above my pay grade and I'll have to have the mechanic look at it.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-21-2019, 11:03 PM
Super Moderator

Drives: 2015 KIA Sorento LX 2.4L & 2018 Chrysler 300 Limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gswartz View Post
Thanks. Sounds like something above my pay grade and I'll have to have the mechanic look at it.
as i stated you might not have a problem as its normal in a front wheel drive vehicle do a search on torque steering .
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 04:12 PM

Drives: 2019 Kia Sportage. SX with AWD. 2.0L Direct Injected Turbocharged & Intercooled Gas.
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Garage

jetech is correct! What you feel is torque steer.
But, torque steer can be exaggerated by underinflated tires.
Please check the pressure of all four tires, cold.
Inflate to 1 psi over the recommended pressure on your door jam sticker.
For example, my sportage tires state 35 psi cold. I inflate them to 36 psi.
That little bit of stiffer tire gives a better ride and better handling. Plus a little safety margin on gauge error.
Let us know if this helps!

Last edited by Lou O.; 04-24-2019 at 04:13 PM. Reason: grammer
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 05:30 PM

Drives: Sedona 2010
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

If after checking your tire pressure and it still does it check the tie rods for play. While your are at it check the entire front end components. Bushings in the control arms, ball joints, inner and outer tie rods. Good Luck.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-28-2019, 09:40 PM

Drives: 2009 Kia Sedona LX
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

There's a lot of things that can contribute to exaggerated torque steer. I would start with checking all the tires for proper wear, inflation and size... then have a full alignment done. Be sure to tell your mechanic what your experiencing so he can inspect for bent or worn parts in the suspension which is where I'd bet your problem is.

Here's a good article...

https://www.aa1car.com/library/torque_steer.htm

Kia Forum > KIA Models > Kia Carnival & Sedona Forum > Kia Carnival & Sedona 2006+