post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-19-2019, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Drives: 2008 Sedona, base model.
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)

Thread Starter (Thread Starter)
Trouble codes?

(Note: Am I posting this question on the best forum?)

I just got a code reader and it turns up this:

P0171 "system too lean (bank 1)"

P0174 "system too lean (bank 2)"

PO741 (converter clutch problem)

B3B01 "body"

C01E0 "chassis"

U20BB "network"

How do I find out what these really mean in the context of my Kia Sedona 2008?

Thanks!

Last edited by amuller; 04-20-2019 at 10:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 01:43 AM

Drives: 2009 Kia Sedona LX
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I'm assuming your CEL came on, why wouldn't you take it in to the dealership since it's a 2018 and still under warranty?

System lean typically is a vacuum leak of some kind. However, there are a number of components that can throw a system lean DTC.

The P0741 is a problem in your transmission, typically the torque converter - but you probably already knew this. I honestly don't know enough about transmissions to comment any further on that.

Sometimes a DTC can prompt the ECU to throw other codes. I've personally have had this happen on a cylinder misfire code Solving the primary problem (trouble code) often clears up these ancillary trouble codes.

But your vans too new to be throwing codes (it's not like a 10yr old car with 150k miles on it). Take it back to the dealership..

(if you're wondering how long you can drive with those codes, I'm not gonna say. You really should take it in as soon as possible.)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for the response. But, I don't know how I gave the impression of asking about a 2018 vehicle. It's a 2008 as stated in my profile. Yes, if it was that new I would take it to the dealer.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 10:39 AM
Expert

Drives: 2011 Forte SX 2.4L (thankfully MPI) A/T 131K miles
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amuller View Post
.... But, I don't know how I gave the impression of asking about a 2018 vehicle. ....
Whenever there's a question about what I wrote, I go back and reread it.

Quote:
... How do I find out what these really mean in the context of my Kia Sedona 2018?....
If you're asking what the actual problem(s) is, that would take diagnosis. It's nothing other than guesswork (and a waste of everyone's time), without hands-on testing.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

I am sorry to have missed that typo.

But is it unreasonable to want to know what those codes are supposed to mean?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 11:07 AM
Expert

Quote:
... is it unreasonable to want to know what those codes are supposed to mean?
Not unreasonable at all, in fact it's a good thing to do. However, there's lots of information available online about what codes mean, along with a list of possible causes and solutions. So it's unreasonable to expect anyone here to spend their time posting information which is easily available with just a few simple searches. And if you're thinking that the problem and solution would be the same as someone else who had the same codes/vehicle as you, be advised that it often doesn't work out that way.

Codes basically provide starting points where diagnosis should begin. But in order to diagnose, you need to be capable and willing to DIY. A typical exchange of information here would be for someone doing hands-on work on their vehicle, and who has problems and/or questions. If you're not a DIYer, then you will have to take it a shop for professional diagnosis and repair. As I wrote previously, it's all just guesswork until proper diagnosis it done.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

I spent a while online and what I found is that the "P" code translations are fairly available but the others apparently are not, which is why I posted a query here. I can see that KIA has apparently curtailed access, or at least free access, to technical information. That's their right as the vendor but it doesn't make a good impression.

I used to be a mechanic but I hope I have not posted any replies as patronizing and unhelpful as some here. I will look for another forum.

Thank you.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 11:56 AM
Expert

Quote:
... I used to be a mechanic ....
Well you certainly did fake me out on that. And I hope you're able to find a nice friendly place where they don't patronize you.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 01:12 PM

Drives: 2009 Kia Sedona LX
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Sorry aMuller, my bad. I thought I read it was a 2018. I'm getting kinda old and the eyes just aren't what they used to be.

Kia guy is right. Trouble codes are a starting point. There are a lot of things that can cause a system lean condition.

I pulled this from a website, this'll give you some idea of what you're dealing with. If you're not comfortable trouble shooting components or systems like fuel delivery, I'd recommend biting the bullet and paying a good mechanic to troubleshoot for you otherwise you can waste a lot of time and money not getting anywhere.

***********"" "" ""
"A lot of times, cleaning the MAF sensor and finding/fixing vacuum leaks fix the problem. If you're on a tight budget, start there, but that may not be the fix for certain.

So, possible solutions include:

-Clean the MAF sensor. Consult your service manual for it's location if you need help. I find it's best to take it off and spray it with electronics cleaner or brake cleaner. Make sure you are careful not to damage the MAF sensor, and make sure it's dry before reinstalling

-Inspect all vacuum and PCV hoses, replace/repair as required. Inspect all hoses and connections in the air intake system Inspect and/or test the intake manifold gaskets for leakage

-Check for a dirty fuel filter and proper fuel pressure Ideally you'll want to monitor short and long term fuel trims using an advanced scan tool

-If you have access, you may want to run a smoke test"
*************" ""
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

This rather frustrating board keeps telling me that "The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters." so I am adding this as padding.....

[quote=rrrchavez;1991298]Sorry aMuller, my bad. I thought I read it was a 2018. I'm getting kinda old and the eyes just aren't what they used to be.

No, it was my fault. There was a typo saying 2018 in the body of my original post.

Kia guy is right. Trouble codes are a starting point. There are a lot of things that can cause a system lean condition.

Yes, of course. But I just asked if people had a translation of those codes, and did not mean to invite a lot of rhetoric from people who didn't have answers to my question.

I do not know whether that report necessarily indicates the system is *actually* running lean, as opposed to *reporting* lean .... I will clean the MAF, and pull a spark plug to check appearance. And a new fuel filter is likely appropriate at almost 200,000 miles.

I pulled this from a website, this'll give you some idea of what you're dealing with. If you're not comfortable trouble shooting components or systems like fuel delivery, I'd recommend biting the bullet and paying a good mechanic to troubleshoot for you otherwise you can waste a lot of time and money not getting anywhere.

Thanks again.

Alan

***********"" "" ""
"A lot of times, cleaning the MAF sensor and finding/fixing vacuum leaks fix the problem. If you're on a tight budget, start there, but that may not be the fix for certain.

So, possible solutions include:

-Clean the MAF sensor. Consult your service manual for it's location if you need help. I find it's best to take it off and spray it with electronics cleaner or brake cleaner. Make sure you are careful not to damage the MAF sensor, and make sure it's dry before reinstalling

-Inspect all vacuum and PCV hoses, replace/repair as required. Inspect all hoses and connections in the air intake system Inspect and/or test the intake manifold gaskets for leakage

-Check for a dirty fuel filter and proper fuel pressure Ideally you'll want to monitor short and long term fuel trims using an advanced scan tool

-If you have access, you may want to run a smoke test"

Kia Forum > KIA Models > Kia Carnival & Sedona Forum > Kia Carnival & Sedona 2006+