post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Drives: 2012 Kia Sedona LX
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thread Starter (Thread Starter)
Question Button on shifter knob won't depress, stuck in park

I know what the issue is, but am not sure how to fix it.

2012 Sedona -

When I pressed the shifter button to move the car into park, I felt something pop, then it was hard, but not impossible to get into park. For the next couple of hours as my wife and I ran errands, moving form park to drive was, again, not impossible, but didn't "feel" right.

When we pulled into the driveway, suddenly it wouldn't go into park, no matter how hard I pushed that button! I found the cover on the top of the shifter seemed to be loose, so I pulled up on it and it came right off in my hand.

With the cover off, I pressed the button and saw a white tab moving down. I pressed on the tab with a pen, and was able to slide the shifter into park very easily. I tested the shifter without the pen, and it seemed to now be working fine, so I left the shifter in park and replaced the cover.

Before I replaced it, I looked at the underside of that cover, and noticed there should have been three tabs holding it in place...but one was missing. My guess is it broke off and fell into the button mechanism, causing the initial jam. It probably moved and allowed me to shift normally a few times, but now has moved again, where I can't see it, is blocking the button so I can't take the car out of park.

My next step, I think, is to remove the shifter knob to see if I can dig that broken tab out. My fear, before I do that, is there may be other moving parts that will spring apart when I remove the knob, and I won't be able to get it back together properly.

Any videos, pictures, or advice out that can walk me through this? I'd hate to have it towed and spend a fortune for something that seems so very simple on the surface.

Thanks in advance for anything you can throw my way. BTW, 99,500 miles, so no warranty for this kind of thing, I'm sure.

Last edited by rhodesmk; 09-13-2015 at 03:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Drives: 2012 Kia Sedona LX

Thread Starter (Thread Starter)
Thumbs up Fixed...

Ima gonna answer my own questions, but thought I'd let you guys know what I did.

I first paid 19.00 to the KGIS folks (something that used to be free...so now that we have to pay, are the powers that be gonna let Haynes and Chilton start publishing Kia repair manuals?) just to find the shifter knob is basically one piece. There is one part inside that fell out (something KGIS pics didn't show) but it was pretty easy to figure out what it was and where it went (white plastic with slanted top...this is what I was seeing from the top down and thought it was a tab the button was pushing on when depressed).

Next I removed the knob, dropped the white piece, figured out what it was and where it went, then shook the knob to test my theory that a broken plastic tab was somewhere inside. Yep, like a baby rattle, it made all kinds of noise!

I shook it for almost five minutes, alternately pressing and releasing the button on the side. Sometimes the button would fully depress, sometimes not.

Finally the tiny little black tab fell out. I checked, it matched the missing tab from the cover, and the button depressed fully every try after that. I then replaced the knob, and all seems to work well. Probably gonna check the dealer or a salvage yard to get a new cover. I'd hate to think another tab is gonna break off and I would need to go through this again anytime soon!

Thanks, folks!

As Esso/Enco/Exxon said back in the day, Happy Motoring. :-)

Michael R.

Last edited by rhodesmk; 09-13-2015 at 03:43 PM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 07:33 PM

Drives: 2007 Kia Spectra EX
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

is anyone still monitoring this thread?

I had EXACT same problem on my 2007 Spectra. The cover on the automatic shift knob had four (4) little dingies that held it in place, all four of which had broken off and one fell inside the cavity where the button on the left side of the knob is, causing it to not be allowed to depress all the way.

It first happenned to my wife when she was out and about, when it momentarily got stuck in PARK, causing he to freak out as she was some distance from home. She lucily managed to get it out of PARK and bee-lined straight home, where it would no longer go into PARK (or LOW).

On the 2007 Spectra, the knob is held on to the shaft by two screws on the front of the knob near the bottom. It came off very easily; I was able to pry the plastic bushing in which slides the button out - lo and behold was a little broken piece of plastic that was lodged inside the button. Now fixed, works fine, lasts a long time (hopefully). Had to glue the cover back on, wife wouldn't let me just pitch it. No problem - if any future failure mode requires removal of that cover, it should still pry off fairly easily.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 01:27 PM

Drives: Kia sedona 2012 & Kia Soul 2016
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Garage

Same problem just happened

I was wondering how much did this cost you to fix? I just recently had the same thing happen to me... while I was backing up into a parking spot I noticed something felt weird when I moved from drive to Reverse. Once I went to put it in park it would move up into park. I wonder if the button like you said it was the problem is. I kept thinking that it is something in the actual shifting box that is going to require me to lift the whole gear shift box out and stuff.

Also is there a thread for the rear door "tail gate" not unlocking at all... even though the fuses are fine....
thanks,
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 05:01 PM

Drives: 2007 Kia Spectra

Do you know if you can buy the white plastic piece or does it come with the knob. That is what broke on mine.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 09:45 PM

Drives: 06 Grande Carnival
Gallery: 13
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

The white plastic part is not available from the dealer as a seperate part, I would try a breakers yard. or a shifter arm from a dealer. It comes as part of the shifter arm/lever part number 467104D000 google the part number for the best price,
Regards
Brian
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 05:21 PM

Drives: Sedona 2012

Question same issue

Hi,

So i seem to have the same issue as you all. Are you saying that a small black tab holding the cover onto the shift assembly fell in there and is causing the disruption?
And are you saying that you can just remove the shift assembly handle and shake the small tab out to make it work correctly again?
I have a 2012 Kia Sedona.

thanks in advance,

the repair shop quoted me $700 for parts/labor to replace the whole shift assembly
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 10:16 AM

Drives: 2007 Kia Sedona (2 of them)

So just to be clear, you're talking about the thing you wrap your hand around with the button on the left, correct? If I remove the two screws and pull that apart I'll see what you're talking about?

I'm more or less having the problem right now, but it's only hard to shift, not impossible. But I think it's getting a bit worse over time.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 07:48 PM

Drives: 06 Grande Carnival
Gallery: 13
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

Is the shifter button hard to press in , or is the shifter hard to move once the button is pressed?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 07:17 AM

Drives: 2007 Kia Sedona (2 of them)

It's hard to press the button in. I bought it used (and have two other Kia Sedonas) and its button does not travel as far as the other two. That said, the button feels about the same but it's harder to move out of gear.

Kia Forum > KIA Models > Kia Carnival & Sedona Forum > Kia Carnival & Sedona 2006+