LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 08:15 AM Thread Starter

Drives: 2005 Sedona EX 117,000 Miles
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Thread Starter (Thread Starter)
Transmission leaking inside bellhousing??

Hello all! Currently 133,xxx miles

3 days ago, wife says van is slipping and shifting hard while driving.
I asked if all gears or just 1st to 2nd etc. She says yes, all gears. I said stop driving, pull over in the nearest parking lot, sounds like its low on fluid.

I arrive with fluid and sure enough there is a visible leak that has spread far and wide from wind pressure while driving. Dipstick is not reading any at all.
I put a quart in and moved it around the parking lot, shifted fine at the time and leak was not catastrophic. Put another quart in and drove it home 6 miles, shifted fine until very end, had a hard downshift from 3rd to 2nd on a hard corner. Shifted fine rest of way.

Removed airbox to see too of trans, no leaks at any sensors or cooling lines.

Cleaned and dried up all fluid underneath, put another quart in and only fluid was from 1/2" by 1/4" hole in bottom center of bellhousing. Observed while running as well with same result.

Only code was P0734, incorrect 4th gear ratio. This was illuminated when wife was driving

Any ideas on what is leaking, my guess is a seal at the input shaft/torque converter.

6 months prior drained and filled fluid from topside. Color was dark red, had no problems at the time.

Thanks in advance and apologies for the lenght of the post!

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Kia Forum > KIA Models > Kia Carnival & Sedona Forum > Kia Carnival & Sedona (2002 - 2005)