2003 Kia sedona - Page 2 - Kia Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 10:16 AM

Drives: KIA Sedona 2005 EX 3.5L Automatic
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I agree proper troubleshooting is the way to go. Not sure why your friend thinks the ECU is fried. That would be rare but anything is possible. But based on your descriptions, I tend to think that some of your ignition coils / cables have gone bad but just what I think and it is not proper troubleshooting!) . This happens all the time and luckily not that expensive to fix. But depends if the front 3 spark plugs are giving you the problem or the back 3. The front plugs very easy to fix. With rear ones, inlet plenum and a bunch of other components have to be removed for access so it is increases labor quite a bit. Just to give you an idea, a KIA dealer would charge $200+ to change al six spark plugs (material and labor). This is why it would be good to have the specific codes as it will point you to which specific cylinders are having misfires. Then we"ll know if it is front, rear or a combination thereof.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017, 10:41 AM

Drives: KIA Sedona 2005 EX 3.5L Automatic
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I know this is easy for me to say since I know how to do it, but I'm hoping you have friend that could help you. Before you take the car to a shop, a friend could do this:

Download the codes. For example, you might see specific misfire codes, such as PO301, P0304 and P0306 (just examples!). If you see these kind of codes, you know (In this example) that you have misfires in cylinders 1, 3 and 6. The last digit in the P030X indicates which cylinder is having the misfire so you could see any combination of P0301 - P0306 codes.

Next, I would expose all spark plugs, which means that the inlet plenum and a bunch of other components have to be removed. Next I would remove the ignition cools from the cylinders that had a code associated with it and swap it with a good one. So in above example , I would take the coils from cylinders 1, 3 and 6 and swap them with 2, 4 and 5. If the codes remain P0301, P0303 and P0306 and no other codes, you know the coils are good and that likely the cables are burnt. If you see the same codes + P0302, P0304 and P0305 you know now that coils are bad and also cables on 1, 3 and 6 are bad too.

If you see a code P0300, it means that you have random misfires in all cylinders. Then it is likely nothing wrong with coils and cables, and something else is causing it (vacuum leak, etc) and shop would have to troubleshoot / scan the car to find the cause.

Hope that helps.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-24-2017, 10:50 PM
Expert

Drives: KIA's 2000 Carnival, 2008 Magentis, 2005 Optima
Quoted: 27 Post(s)

Before throwing any more parts at it I would ask a competent mechanic to check the battery condition with a hi-rate tester or substitute a know good battery and thoroughly clean the batt terminals and check the cleanliness and tightness of the engine and frame earths, as I think you have a voltage problem in the engine management system.

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-28-2017, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Drives: 2003 Kia sedona
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Thread Starter (Thread Starter)
Thank you. I have had it towed to a mechanic and waiting to hear. I thought he jump pretty quick saying it was main computer. I will keep use posted and again thank you
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 12:19 PM

Drives: 2016 Kia Sedona LX+
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Khvkgry I x
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidner View Post
I know this is easy for me to say since I know how to do it, but I'm hoping you have friend that could help you. Before you take the car to a shop, a friend could do this:

Download the codes. For example, you might see specific misfire codes, such as PO301, P0304 and P0306 (just examples!). If you see these kind of codes, you know (In this example) that you have misfires in cylinders 1, 3 and 6. The last digit in the P030X indicates which cylinder is having the misfire so you could see any combination of P0301 - P0306 codes.

Next, I would expose all spark plugs, which means that the inlet plenum and a bunch of other components have to be removed. Next I would remove the ignition cools from the cylinders that had a code associated with it and swap it with a good one. So in above example , I would take the coils from cylinders 1, 3 and 6 and swap them with 2, 4 and 5. If the codes remain P0301, P0303 and P0306 and no other codes, you know the coils are good and that likely the cables are burnt. If you see the same codes + P0302, P0304 and P0305 you know now that coils are bad and also cables on 1, 3 and 6 are bad too.

If you see a code P0300, it means that you have random misfires in all cylinders. Then it is likely nothing wrong with coils and cables, and something else is causing it (vacuum leak, etc) and shop would have to troubleshoot / scan the car to find the cause.

Hope that helps.
Uh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic boy View Post
Before throwing any more parts at it I would ask a competent mechanic to check the battery condition with a hi-rate tester or substitute a know good battery and thoroughly clean the batt terminals and check the cleanliness and tightness of the engine and frame earths, as I think you have a voltage problem in the engine management system.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-07-2017, 10:02 AM Thread Starter

Drives: 2003 Kia sedona
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Thread Starter (Thread Starter)
I had a mechanic look at it and I'm now driving it. My supposedly friend was supposed to changed the crank shaft sensor changed the wrong part. He changed the cam sensor. So mechanic put on the crank shaft sensor. Also front strut was broke he said my tire was ready to come off. He said now I just need a gaskit in and I should pass inspection. Thank you for the hope. I was really scared at first. I put everything I had into this

Kia Forum > KIA Models > Kia Carnival & Sedona Forum > Kia Carnival & Sedona (2002 - 2005)