post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Drives: 2008 Kia Sorento V6 Base 3.3L
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Thread Starter (Thread Starter)
2004 Kia Sedona intermittent shudder while driving

I have a 2004 Kia Sedona with 80k miles on it. Its primarily used to pick the kids up from school and maybe 10 miles to/from the grocery store once a week. The engine still sounds pretty smooth (not loud at all). Lately there seems to be an intermittent jolt/shudder somewhere around the 3rd or 4th gear on occasion after the vehicle has warmed up. What is weird is I can drive 5 or 6 miles and the shifting feels so smooth I have to look at the RPMs to see that is shifted. Then out of the blue I'll get a jolt/shudder usually when shifting from 3rd or 4th gear. It's beginning to get more frequent so I was hoping someone could assist me in trouble shooting. If it's the transmission, I'm just going to donate the car as it wouldn't be affordable to fix vs what it's worth. However if it's something else small <$500 then I would look at fixing it. I'm about medium level automotive technical (can change alternators, water pumps, etc.) but won't touch transmission work and know it's costly. If anyone has an idea or items I can check before giving up on it I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2016, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

Drives: 2008 Kia Sorento V6 Base 3.3L
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Thread Starter (Thread Starter)
Can't figure out how to edit my post above, but just to add to it. When you just start up the vehicle and let it warmup and then drive - it is fine. It's not until you have put 8-15 miles on it until it will do the sudden jerk/jolt/shudder. It then seems to work fine and then maybe a few miles later will do it again. Once it starts then it does begin to get more frequent but not all the time. Always around the 30mph-50mph range.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 10:41 AM

Drives: Kia Sedona, Hyundai Elantra
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)

Hi Beltline,
First. Its seems you may not be driving the van enough. It needs to be driven often under optimal engine temperature for the injection system to burn off carbon deposits. I'd start here, and clean the throttle body too.
Second. Be sure the trans service is up-to date, your van has low miles, but it may need a trans drain and refill anyways. Use the SP-III fluid only, per the owners manual.
Lastly, i had similar issue with engine shuddering under load (heavy acceleration), my issue was the LH axle. I lifted the car, and the inner CV joint was very wobbly. I replaced both axles and the issue went away. Upon inspection of the bad CV joint, it was too dry (not enough grease there).
MV

Last edited by mvkma; 04-27-2016 at 10:44 AM.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2016, 03:22 PM

Drives: 2005 Kia Sedona, 2001 Dodge Intrepid
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

I know I'm resurrecting this a bit but didn't want to make a duplicate post for a very similar issue.

My van has ~63k miles on it. The rear end was damaged and repaired before I bought it.

The whole van shook when I first got it but the alignment was never done after the rear end repair. So I got an alignment, balance and rotation. This helped CONSIDERABLY. However, I have the following problems:

1. The ride is very rough -- I live in Illinois and our roads are awful for any vehicle but it seems highly exaggerated in this van
2. When I leave work, I travel through town for a few minutes before I get to highway speeds. When I get to highway, there is almost always a lot of shudder and rattling which generally continues for my whole ride home.
2a. It is like this to some degree when I leave home in the mornings which requires less travel to get to the highway

I drive almost 100 miles a day, most of it is highway with quick jots through smaller towns.

Is the suspension generally tight on this van or should I do something about it?
Also, I had my father-in-law look at the struts/cv joints and he thinks they're fine. Most of the shudder I feel comes from the rear end and is so dramatic that it's nerve racking to pass a slow driver so I often end up just following them.

It also seems to be worse if I have to break quickly because someone decided to wait till the last second to slow down for their turn. If I go a mile or two after quick breaking, it seems to even out to a 'normal' shudder/vibration.

Is any of this normal? Am I being too paranoid? What should I check/inspect/replace?

This is a 2005 Sedona
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 10:08 AM

Drives: 2 kia sedonas 2.9 1 partner van
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJerrell View Post
I know I'm resurrecting this a bit but didn't want to make a duplicate post for a very similar issue.

My van has ~63k miles on it. The rear end was damaged and repaired before I bought it.

The whole van shook when I first got it but the alignment was never done after the rear end repair. So I got an alignment, balance and rotation. This helped CONSIDERABLY. However, I have the following problems:

1. The ride is very rough -- I live in Illinois and our roads are awful for any vehicle but it seems highly exaggerated in this van
2. When I leave work, I travel through town for a few minutes before I get to highway speeds. When I get to highway, there is almost always a lot of shudder and rattling which generally continues for my whole ride home.
2a. It is like this to some degree when I leave home in the mornings which requires less travel to get to the highway

I drive almost 100 miles a day, most of it is highway with quick jots through smaller towns.

Is the suspension generally tight on this van or should I do something about it?
Also, I had my father-in-law look at the struts/cv joints and he thinks they're fine. Most of the shudder I feel comes from the rear end and is so dramatic that it's nerve racking to pass a slow driver so I often end up just following them.

It also seems to be worse if I have to break quickly because someone decided to wait till the last second to slow down for their turn. If I go a mile or two after quick breaking, it seems to even out to a 'normal' shudder/vibration.

Is any of this normal? Am I being too paranoid? What should I check/inspect/replace?

This is a 2005 Sedona
i would go get your tracking looked at or maybe its call wheel alienment over the pond?
oh and while your at it get them to check your discs as well. if there warped bad enough then im sure this will all reflect on vibration at speed.

PIGLETS its broken.....

Last edited by ed1808; 07-19-2016 at 10:12 AM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 10:10 AM

Drives: 2 kia sedonas 2.9 1 partner van
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beltline View Post
Can't figure out how to edit my post above, but just to add to it. When you just start up the vehicle and let it warmup and then drive - it is fine. It's not until you have put 8-15 miles on it until it will do the sudden jerk/jolt/shudder. It then seems to work fine and then maybe a few miles later will do it again. Once it starts then it does begin to get more frequent but not all the time. Always around the 30mph-50mph range.
first step i would take would be to check your gearbox fluid levels.

PIGLETS its broken.....
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 01:33 PM

Drives: Sedona '02
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beltline View Post
I had similar issues. One of the causes maybe it's misfiring due to bad ignition coil and wire (and spark plug) or due to the transmission speed input / output sensors. I would feel this jerk when going at around 40 to 55mph on highway and the car would jerk. I figured out it's the engine misfiring. You may want to pull the code from the car with a code reader. Mine did not throw a engine check light but the code was there with engine misfire.

All of them can be done without going to a shop (except the rear ignition coil/ wire/ spark plugs). The reason is you have to take off the intake manifold that covers the right three cylinder banks (rear side if looking at from the front). It's a PIA to work on (as any other similarly set up cars are with transverse v6 engines).

Otherwise, the other items are pretty easy. Make sure you are feeling the jerk from the engine / transmission area and not from the rear or bottom of the car. The parts are not expensive. Goto Rockauto.

The transmission input output speed sensors are two and are nearby each other. You have to take off the Air Filter box. And they are right there.

I will bet you it's probably from engine misfiring or the speed sensors. Check the code first.

Last edited by glycine4; 10-28-2016 at 01:37 PM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2016, 01:44 PM

Drives: Sedona '02
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJerrell View Post

This is a 2005 Sedona
You should mention what kind of damage it was.

My car is also not so smooth in ride; never had accident. I just think the suspension is not the best. I recently changed the rear shocks. You can do it yourself, not hard at all, does take some muscle, thought.

Shocks were bought at Rockauto. They are not expensive. Rear has shocks instead of struts (shock with spring around it). So, it's much easier and cheaper.

You do need some tools, mainly good Jack stands and a decent breaker bar because the nuts and bolts are really tight.

The changing of the shocks made the ride a little better than before. But, mine has over 120k miles.

My thought is that your rear suspension might be damaged or bent somehow. That's why it's good to know what kind of damage it was.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-30-2016, 06:40 AM

Drives: 05 sedona
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 05 shuddered during 4th to 3rd down shifts for about 5k miles. Drove it everyday until one day the trans just went up and would move. Replaced with a used junkyard trans and no more shudder.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 09:00 PM
Expert

Drives: KIA's 2000 Carnival, 2008 Magentis, 2005 Optima
Quoted: 27 Post(s)

It is relatively common for torque converter clutch shudder on lock up and in fact most hi-grade ATF's have an additive to reduce or prevent it. First thing is to unsure it has the recommended ATF in the trans and if that doesn't fix it usually the torque converter may need replacing

Kia Forum > KIA Models > Kia Carnival & Sedona Forum > Kia Carnival & Sedona (2002 - 2005)