Drives: 2005 Spectra
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thread Starter (Thread Starter)
Front & Rear Swaybars

(2005 Spectra SX)
I've read about the RSB upgrades (thanks to those who shared that info). Two questions:
1- I'm concerned that by just replacing the rear swaybar the handling will no longer be balanced (if it is in the first place). If you upgrade the rear, shouldn't the front also be upgraded? And can the front swaybar be changed without major effort? (Sometimes they can't be changed without removing major stuff.)
2- I'm interested in using a set of Tiburon swaybars. Will swaybars from any year Tiburon fit?
Thanks.

BTW, I haven't driven my Spectra yet. Bought it from an insurance auction. Some assembly required. All the front bodywork is off, so I have as much access to my front swaybar right now as I will ever have.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-21-2006, 05:51 PM

my 05 sx actually came with a front strutbar stock. if you were to change it out it is very easy i think its 6 / 8 14mm bolts right on top of the strut towers. i dont know how you would go about changing the rear swaybar the picture does not show the mounts that well. and i dont even know where it would mount to.

if it mounts to the rear strut towers you have to remove the side peices of the rear seats (not the part that folds down) with 1 14mm bolt on each side. i dont know how that would work through. i would try contacting the two people that put up reviews on the rear sway bar on kfxperformance.com

herbd

2005 spec SX black
18" chrome rims
full airride suspension
mystery body kit
NEXT MOD- stageII turbo
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-22-2006, 11:23 AM

Drives: 2006 Kia Sedona

Rear Anti-Sway vs Strut Tower Bars

Dear gang:

I put the front strut bars in last summer, took about 15 minutes at most if I recall.

Am Considering the rear. Have seen the instructions for the rear anti-sway bars and looks to be less than an hour job if not rusty and have all the parts. Have seen pictures of strut tower bars .... which take up space in trunk. What are benifits of one vs the other - or both?

George in Wisconsin.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2006, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

Drives: 2005 Spectra

Thread Starter (Thread Starter)
Well why don't we separate the two items that have been referred to with basic descriptions:

Strut Tower Braces or FSTB & RSTB: Attach to the top of the strut towers, limits unibody flex, sloppy feeling handling (effectiveness depends on the bar or the car).

Swaybars or Anti-Roll Bars: Bolt to bottom of car and bottom of struts or control arms, limits body roll (effectiveness depends on bar diameter and front-to-rear swaybar stiffness balance).

I was questioning the wisdom of only increasing the rear swaybar size while leaving the front stock. With this setup, if you go into a corner too fast and brake hard while turning, the rear end will break loose and the car will spin. Car is dead at best, worse you are hurt, worst you kill other people.

So has anybody addressed increasing the size of the FSB at the same time you put on a bogger RSB?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-24-2006, 12:09 PM

Drives: 2006 Kia Sedona

Sway Bar Article

Have googled a bit and found a decent article (for Saturn enthusiasts). It gives what seems to be enough info to begin understanding the relationship between front and rear bars and handling. The formulas given are not quite enough to understand exactly how under/oversteer would be changed for our Kias, but stiffness related to body roll formula is easily figured out and agrees with the DIY on this board.

Your question about the difference in balance that going from a 13 to 18 mm bar seems to be a good one. Making the rear 3.7 times stiffer would seem to be a huge change in balance if you do not modify the front.

Team scR George in Wisconsin.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-26-2006, 01:13 AM

I increased my rear sway bar from 15 to 19 mm on my Elantra, with a resulting 2.6 times increase in stiffness. The front stayed as is. (In non-GT Sedan Elantras, the stock rear bar is 13 mm, and many have made the jump to 19 with a 4.6 times stiffness increase.) It improves handling considerably. It can result in the rear end breaking loose, but it's only happened to me once and I was really pushing the car hard to try to do it. It was actually kind of fun.

An experienced driver knows when the car is being pushed too hard and when it is within its limits, so I don't think that is an issue for everyday driving.

My front does feel a little soft compared to the rear. However, there is no ready upgrade for Elantras and we just kind of live with it. I think a small gain can occur by changing the soft front sway bushings to hard polyurethane bushings, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-26-2006, 08:03 AM

Drives: 1982 Fiat Spyder, 2007 VW Eos 2L Turbo, 2000 BMW 528i 5 speed

I did the 19mm Tiburon rear sway bar upgrade and highly recommend it. Reduced lean in turns and made the turn in much sharper. Ride was barely affected. It feels balanced and have not had the rear end come out, except on one rainy day when I pushed it hard into a corner. Recovered quickly and was not a problem. Definitely do it. Best $80 and 30 minutes I spent on the car.

Kia Forum > KIA Models > Kia Cerato, Shuma & Spectra Forum > Cerato (2003 - 2008) & Spectra5 (2004)