Warranty Management - theory, expectations, and this Severe State thing... - Kia Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-09-2006, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

Drives: 2010 Forte SX 2.4L Manual 6 speed-& If long posts bore ya, just jump to the blue text in my posts :)
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thread Starter (Thread Starter)
Warranty Management - theory, expectations, and this Severe State thing...

OK so yesterday at service,

I just came right out and asked service guy-

Who came right out and told me,

'Yup, Florida is listed (by mfr) as a 'severe' state (in terms of which level of service is required to not void your warranty)."

And I now know, that means I have to go by the service manual (or any updated info on the dealer's sign posted on the service office's wall)-

I don't go by the list in the manual where it says for 'normal (states)',

but I need definitely go by the list called 'severe (states)'.

My service guy came right out with this info (didn't even hesitate to admit Fla was a severe state)-

yet in other posts elsewhere I've read where their impression of this 'severe' versus 'normal' State list is some big secret, like pulling teeth to get from anyone... Some said, they found out the difference *after* some major repair put their car on the lift - and that they felt it was likely just a reason not to cover some repairs under warranty (because a person in a state on the 'severe' list went by the 'normal' state requirements, and voided their warranty without knowing it).

I mean, I'm covered best I can be either way now because I know--

and by my way of thinking,
by the same token that I'm never going to use a non-Kia-mfr made key to drive this car-
I'm going to go by the book using the 'severe' state list with regard to warranty-servicings.

Just out of curiosity though, anyone know any States, which in fact are listed/designated by Kia mfr, which are officially on the so called 'normal' states list? Just thinking to self, is there in fact any state without some form of severe weather challenge or other 'severe' conditions risk?

And-
With regard to warranty repairs-
do you have to do both the 'required' and the 'recommended' to keep the entire warranty in force?

Or can you keep the warranty good, by only doing the 'required' - do you automatically void the warranty, if you don't do the 'recommended'?

And lastly,
to get a feel for what I need be aware of ahead of time,

when we say 'voiding the warranty'-

is a warranty either 'completely good' or 'completely voided' ?

Let me be a bit clearer on that last question there-

Envision for example owner X going in for a required service visit -
and that particular service visit lists 10 'required' things be addressed (which he has all done of course)
and
it also lists 5 'recommended' things (which he does four of them, but does not do for example a timing belt change let's say)

If,
one is required to do both 'required' and 'recommended' items at each required service visit,

and

one has done all the 'required's
and has done all but one of the 'recommended',

In our example theoretically here,
does one void the entire warranty on all parts in the car flat, forever?

Or does one risk voiding *only* the part on the car, which 'recommended service' was not performed (in our example here, the timing belt and any damage elsewhere which can be pinpointed to be relative to any timing belt failure in the future would be voided only, where the rest of the parts in the car would still be covered after that service visit so long as they could not in any way be pinpointed relative to timing belt failure) ?

Anyone willing to give at least a feeling on what one should expect/plan?

(I'm thinking asking the dealer for advice on this is kind of like asking your teen if it's wise you let them stay out past 2am lol.)

Thanks for any input!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-10-2006, 07:39 AM
Premium Member

Drives: 2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

My dealer in specific goes by the servere matinence anyways. they told me all dealers do.... dunno if thats correct or not but its what they told me.
Yes you need to do all the service whether its required or recommended. Like for say if you dont do the timing belt they will void the whole warrinty.

2015 Buick Verano Leather Group
2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
1987 Mazda RX-7 GLX

The Old
99 Sephia, 01 Spectra, 05 Spectra, 08 Sportage
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 12:54 AM

Drives: Current: 2007 Kia Rondo LX I4. Former: 2006 Kia Spectra5
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastkia
Yes you need to do all the service whether its required or recommended. Like for say if you dont do the timing belt they will void the whole warrinty.
That would not stand up in court. They could not refuse warranty on your transmission (for example) if you had previously had a timing belt failure.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 05:36 AM
Premium Member

They do it.... Trust me on that one.. Happened on my sephia...... In the service book it does statethat if any required maintence is missed the warrinty will be void, its legal if its in writing... Your thinking of aftermarket parts.... example:
if you were to go and put a cold air intake on, and the tranny went, that would (with the right dealer) not void that part of warinty.. But like I said with maintenece it is different as it is in writing..

2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
1987 Mazda RX-7 GLX

The Old
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 08:57 AM

So you basically have to do dealer service? There are so many things under the severe maintenance schedule that are just inspections. I can inspect belts, hoses and brake linings just as well as any dealer tech. The difference is that the stealership will be making $85 a hour to do it.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 11:55 AM
Premium Member

You can do actual maintence yourself IE: oil changes (keep the recipts for everything you do) but when it comes to the inspect this and that they cant take your word for it... You can get it done by any shop, it doesnt have to be kia stealership. hell I got my 15K service done for 25.00. kia wanted 200.00... it was mostly inspect this and taht but I do have it in writing (the shop recipt) that a ase certified tech inspected the parts..

2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
1987 Mazda RX-7 GLX

The Old
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 02:26 PM

What if you take digital camera pictures of the inspections that you make?

For that matter, what does ASE certification cost?
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Drives: 2010 Forte SX 2.4L Manual 6 speed-& If long posts bore ya, just jump to the blue text in my posts :)

Thread Starter (Thread Starter)
Hi all!

So-I think what I'm hearing is,

*you have to do both the 'required' and the 'recommended'*

*following the 'severe state' warranty list*

*and if you can save money at a non-dealer-service-shop and want to do so,
be certain that shop will certify on the receipt-
by name exactly what they did (=what's on the maintenance reqd & rec'd lists for that service visit)
and to be on the safe side be certain they certify on the receipt that all work was done by an ASE certified tech*

Is that what I'm hearing?
Would that be the safest way to approach it-well, other than flatly just taking it to service and saying here's-my-checkbook?

And I think I understood we're all in agreement then in expectations about:
if *one single part,
of any service required or recommended item,
is *not* done as it should be done,
then the
entire
warranty
is voided for the entire car on every single part etc?

I'll tell ya,
like I was talking to a friend of mine earlier today-
these insurance/warranty companies-
they're like vegas man-
they gamble that your car won't ever break, or that you'll never be sharp enough to figure out what you *should* have done to keep your warranty good until *after* it's too late. Story after story of that one online ref: kias, it's very sad. But honestly, and that's why I'm asking now about alot of this stuff-these companies are in business to find any reason they can force legally *not* to pay a claim.

I remember Blue Cross one year, refused hundreds of dollars of state-mandated health insurance reimbursement coverage for my son when he was born. Oh man, I was a green hornet that day. I popped off a detailed letter to the state insurance commissioner, and cc'd at the bottom of it every single senator/rep in the state, and every single federal rep/senator who sat on any health insurance committee, and the three largest and most well-read newspapers in the state. Started getting calls at my desk at work four days after sending them all out certified, from senators offices and the like, and in 7 business days I had a check from Blue Cross in my hot little hand - Certified lol. It's just the way companies try to stay in business sometimes, totally frustrating, but welcome to the new world I guess *shrugs*. I always resent being forced to pull out my dog-eared 'Art of War', but itiz what itiz.

So it's an all-or-void warranty right? If one of twenty things, on any one of the required visits isn't done (and provable on paper by an ASE certified tech), then the entire warranty is void on every single part in the entire car?

If you get the extended warranty-and the 'entire thing is void' because you didn't get just a single thing done in one of the service visits - is the extended warranty then worthless too you think?

Last edited by ssssspectra06; 09-11-2006 at 04:52 PM.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-11-2006, 10:29 PM
Premium Member

Yes both have to be done.. its in the manual. More than once. You can do it where you wnat if they are a certified tech.
You know look at it this way.. to keep yourself healthy you need to keep in shape, get medicine when sick.. kinda the same thing as a car you gotta keep it tip top...

2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
1987 Mazda RX-7 GLX

The Old
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-14-2006, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastkia
They do it.... Trust me on that one.. Happened on my sephia...... In the service book it does statethat if any required maintence is missed the warrinty will be void, its legal if its in writing... Your thinking of aftermarket parts.... example:
if you were to go and put a cold air intake on, and the tranny went, that would (with the right dealer) not void that part of warinty.. But like I said with maintenece it is different as it is in writing..
Just because it's in writing does NOT mean it's legal. You got hoodwinked.

Kia Forum > KIA Models > Kia Cerato, Shuma & Spectra Forum > Cerato (2003 - 2008) & Spectra5 (2004)