Kia Forum banner

2009 Kia Borrego multiple warning lights

14K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  HavasuPaPa 
#1 ·
We have 36,000 miles on our Borrego. Last week multiple warning lights came on - ABS, 4 wheel drive system, ESC off, Brake & DBC. When I pulled over, the vehicle would only shift into neutral from drive. It would not shift into reverse or park. I shut the vehicle off, waited a couple of minutes and restarted it. All the warning lights were gone and I was able to shift into all positions. I took it to the dealer and they couldn't find anything wrong. Last night it happened again as well as this morning. But this morning the malfunction indicator also appeared. As I drove my kids to school and returned home, the lights popped on and off several times. When the lights are on the speedometer doesn't work either. The vehicle operates normally other than the shifting issue, the speedometer and now the cruise. It seems like it has to be some kind of computer module glitch. Anyone else with similar issue???

#8 ·
Yes....if a speed sensor goes out all hell breaks loose with the 4wd and traction control...
in my case, a front right wheel bearing was replace under warranty by KIA and it went bad and it caused damage to the sensor that then had to be replaced.
All those lights..one wheel sensor.

#9 ·
If it is a V8 then the mechatronic assembly is faulty. Basically the brain inside of the transmission. Hopefully you're the original owner and it's covered power train.. Just replaced one the other day and it was about 4700.00 warranty cost. Found out that particular trans is a bmw product. Had to wait 2 weeks for the part and had to replace it twice first one was faulty. Almost a 9k Kia warranty claim.. Fun stuff

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.