Join Date: Jun 2019
Drives: MY17 Kia Sportage SLi AWD
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Car starts with high-volume static radio frequency playing. Help!
I've recently bought an MY17 Kia Sportage SLi AWD (Australia) and I have a query about the stereo that I'm hoping someone can help with.
Each time I start the car it turns on the radio (I never use the radio). Usually AM radio (never used AM in my life). Usually a frequency that is just static at high-volume. I exclusively use Apple CarPlay and want to go straight into CarPlay or even start up with no sound from the stereo at all. Occasionally it starts with an FM station playing but the behaviour isn't consistent. While the stereo/satnav is going through its super slow startup + warning about safe driving, the buttons to change station or volume don't work. Sometimes I can tap the 'Agree' button fairly quickly and then get rid of the static sound. Mostly, the button is greyed out for much longer. This makes the high-volume static even more annoying.
Is there any way to either:
- change the default source to CarPlay
- change the default to the stereo being off?
- change the default radio frequency to an actual tuned/saved station?
- change the default to FM instead of AM
- disable the radio completely?
I've tried turning the following:
- turning the ignition off before I unplug my iPhone and while car CarPlay is running
- plugging the iPhone in before I start the ignition
- turning the ignition off with an FM radio station tuned in (and saved)
- turning the stereo off before I turn the ignition off
- using the startup volume setting set to low so I'm not blasted with high-volume static (does nothing)
None of those things make a difference at all.
Any help would be much appreciated!