HID install information - Kia Forum
 5Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2016, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: NJ,USA
Posts: 3
Drives: 2017 Kia Sportage LX AWD
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Thread Starter (Thread Starter)
Post HID install information

Hey Guys I'm new to this forum and new to the Sportage! so I was looking in to installing HIDS in to my New 2017 Kia Sportage LX AWD (with LED DRLs) Lowbeam/Highbeam is a 9005 HL+ 60W now what has me confused is that it looks like normal 9005 HB3 single filament bulb. Even when I took the bulb out it only has 1 filament. Now my questions is Can it just be replace with a 9005 HB3 HID kit or do you need some special kit/ wiring. has any one done a HID upgrade on the new 2017 Yet that can answer this for me?

Prien1937 likes this.
Klopez1988 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2016, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: NJ,USA
Posts: 3
Drives: 2017 Kia Sportage LX AWD
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Thread Starter (Thread Starter)
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klopez1988 View Post
Hey Guys I'm new to this forum and new to the Sportage! so I was looking in to installing HIDS in to my New 2017 Kia Sportage LX AWD (with LED DRLs) Lowbeam/Highbeam is a 9005 HL+ 60W now what has me confused is that it looks like normal 9005 HB3 single filament bulb. Even when I took the bulb out it only has 1 filament. Now my questions is Can it just be replace with a 9005 HB3 HID kit or do you need some special kit/ wiring. has any one done a HID upgrade on the new 2017 Yet that can answer this for me?
So did some more analyzing of the headlamp and found out that the bulb is not the one that changes voltage to make it brighter and doesn't have a electromagnet like the bulbs in the ford pick trucks. it's actually a little motor that moves a mirror in the housing to reflex the light upwards. so i'm going to give the 9005(HB3) HID kit a shot see if it works.

If anyone is interested in results let me know and i'll post them.
ledfoot15 and Prien1937 like this.
Klopez1988 is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-09-2016, 08:20 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: mexico
Posts: 1
Drives: Kia Sportage
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klopez1988 View Post
So did some more analyzing of the headlamp and found out that the bulb is not the one that changes voltage to make it brighter and doesn't have a electromagnet like the bulbs in the ford pick trucks. it's actually a little motor that moves a mirror in the housing to reflex the light upwards. so i'm going to give the 9005(HB3) HID kit a shot see if it works.

If anyone is interested in results let me know and i'll post them.
Hello I am interested in your results! I just got an sportage with halogens and want to upgrade it to HIDs! did the kit worked? what brand did you use and if it is durable?

Greetings!
Prien1937 likes this.
poxakow is offline  
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-24-2016, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: NJ,USA
Posts: 3
Drives: 2017 Kia Sportage LX AWD
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Thread Starter (Thread Starter)
Exclamation Update!

I ordered the HIDs from ddmtuning they're ultra HID Kit. I haven't installed them yet but as soon as i do i'll update.
Prien1937 likes this.
Klopez1988 is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 10:15 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 5
Drives: 2017 Sportage AWD LX, 2004 Nissan Pathfinder Armada
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

How did the installation go on your HID kit klopez1988??
MenDiesel5 is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-17-2016, 12:14 AM
Full Member
 
mad_sb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: SoCal
Posts: 156
Drives: 2017 Sportage SX FWD
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Garage

Please do us all a favor and don't plug HID bulbs into halogen projector housings. Focal distance is not the same and it just ends up throwing light all over the dam road and into on coming drivers eyes. There are other options for halogen projectors, like upgrading the halogen bulb to a higher output unit(check out the candlepower forums). You can easily increase the light output by 50% with a proper halogen upgrade.

If on the other hand your doing a proper retrofit with new projectors and all, then right on man.

2017 Sparkling Silver Sportage SX FWD
18x8.5 Enkie TS-9's | Sumitomo HTR ZIII's | J5 CoilOvers
mad_sb is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 06:12 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 5
Drives: 2017 Sportage AWD LX, 2004 Nissan Pathfinder Armada
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Which halogen bulb would you recommend??
MenDiesel5 is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 08:19 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: NZ
Posts: 66
Drives: Sportage 2016 EX
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MenDiesel5 View Post
Which halogen bulb would you recommend??
Brightest halogen bulbs => Either Phillips X-treme Power or Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited. Try www.powerbulbs.com . Osram is sold as Slvania in the US I believe.

I use Osram Nightbreaker and there is a noticeable improvement over stock. Perhaps more like 50% and not 110% as claimed. Do note that these performance bulbs do have a shorter life span. Depending on the usage, it may not be a problem.
LimL is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2016, 01:35 PM
Member
 
ledfoot15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: EDMONTON,AB. CANADA
Posts: 27
Drives: 2017 KIA SPORTAGE SX AWD...2006 CHEVROLET C6 CORVETTE...2012 SORENTO SX AWD...2014 SORENTO SX AWD
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klopez1988 View Post
I ordered the HIDs from ddmtuning they're ultra HID Kit. I haven't installed them yet but as soon as i do i'll update.
ledfoot15 is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-19-2016, 06:59 PM
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Costa Rica
Posts: 137
Drives: 2016 Kia Sportage AWD
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad_sb View Post
Please do us all a favor and don't plug HID bulbs into halogen projector housings. Focal distance is not the same and it just ends up throwing light all over the dam road and into on coming drivers eyes. There are other options for halogen projectors, like upgrading the halogen bulb to a higher output unit(check out the candlepower forums). You can easily increase the light output by 50% with a proper halogen upgrade.

If on the other hand your doing a proper retrofit with new projectors and all, then right on man.

thatīs right check this link and the pic ( is a led example but is similar to HID ) https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/for...s-clones/page2

about a halogen with good output try Osram Rally "This 65-watt bulb produces 2100 lumen!! -- THAT IS 700 more lumen than an OEM " but it's not available on 9006 Headlamps Fog Lights and Driving lamps / Bulbs


I put HID for some days on my sportage ( old line 2016) , I have to do a little job to get a good beam pattern ( move the bulb base some mm back and lift it ), but never give me the halogen beam pattern. right now i use a PIAA night tech H7 and give a good output.

About the LED on OEM projectors, at least somebody lend you to try it, donīt buy
kdmcr is offline  
Reply


Top

  Kia Forum > KIA Models > Kia Sportage Forum > 4G 2016-2018+ Sportage



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



  Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kia Forte License Plate LEDs! Plug & Play Install! Same day Shipping! Diode Dynamics Diode Dynamics 1 07-05-2019 04:34 PM
My Dash Cam Install Cubby 2011 - 2013 (XM) Sorento Forum 5 08-28-2017 12:52 PM
The Driver Information Screen Bonzo17 4G 2016-2018+ Sportage 5 05-19-2017 08:28 AM
How-to: Install OEM Puddle Lights on 2016 Kia Sorento bikepoet 2016+ Sorento 3 10-18-2016 01:35 PM
Repair Manual mackedisto 1G (1993 - 2002) Sportage 5 03-07-2007 09:53 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On