Buying advice - Kia Forum

 4Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Canada
Posts: 6
Drives: Sorento 2019 EX Premium V6
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Thread Starter (Thread Starter)
Question Buying advice

Hi All,

Sorry if this was discussed before, and im sure it was.
Looking to buy a 2019 Sorento EX premium V6 (canada). Price and finance are good compared to the Japanese ones. For the 20 anniversary, it is discounted 2500$, 0.9% for 84 months.
Only thing I'm worried about is the reliability. It is for the wife + kids and she drives around 10000KM a year (6000 miles), and this to keep for 10 years at least.
This is the 1st year of that 8 speed transmission, should i be worried about it? what about this 3.3L engine? i heard thy did some changes to the 2019 ones? even with the 5 years warranty.
I'm used to Hondas reliability, never had issues with them, regular maintenance, wear and tear.
Honda latest engines sucks, plenty of issues with that 1.5 turbo 4 on the crv, and Pilot is out of question due to high price (same equipment almost) and interest rates 4.49%, and Toyota Highlander 7.24%! ( they are crazy).
Any advice is welcomed.
Thanks.

grabbat is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 11:46 AM
Expert
 
CrazyBiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Fremont, CA
Posts: 812
Drives: 17' Sorento SXL V6 AWD, 14' Mazda6 GT w/ Tech, 16 Aprilia Tuono V4 Factory, 14' BMW S1000R
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)

Pretty darn reliable at par with Toyota. At 6k per year the factory warranty has got you covered!
briar14 likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
CrazyBiker is offline  
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 11:59 AM
Full Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Santa Fe, NM
Posts: 170
Drives: 2018 Sorento LX V6 AWD Conv. Pkg. Tech Pkg.
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)

The powertrain warranty in the US is 10 years for the original purchaser, is it only 5 years in Canada?

Consumer Reports rates the Sorento predicted reliability as above average, with above average owner satisfaction as well.
JohnH123 is online now  
 
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Canada
Posts: 6
Drives: Sorento 2019 EX Premium V6
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Thread Starter (Thread Starter)
Yes 5 years, and sales rep said the radio is covered 3 years only.
grabbat is offline  
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 12:54 PM
Full Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Canada
Posts: 86
Drives: 2019 Sorento SXL
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabbat View Post
Hi All,

Sorry if this was discussed before, and im sure it was.
Looking to buy a 2019 Sorento EX premium V6 (canada). Price and finance are good compared to the Japanese ones. For the 20 anniversary, it is discounted 2500$, 0.9% for 84 months.
Only thing I'm worried about is the reliability. It is for the wife + kids and she drives around 10000KM a year (6000 miles), and this to keep for 10 years at least.
This is the 1st year of that 8 speed transmission, should i be worried about it? what about this 3.3L engine? i heard thy did some changes to the 2019 ones? even with the 5 years warranty.
I'm used to Hondas reliability, never had issues with them, regular maintenance, wear and tear.
Honda latest engines sucks, plenty of issues with that 1.5 turbo 4 on the crv, and Pilot is out of question due to high price (same equipment almost) and interest rates 4.49%, and Toyota Highlander 7.24%! ( they are crazy).
Any advice is welcomed.
Thanks.
I assume you've test driven the Sorento, so you know that on pavement, it drives and rides better than any current Honda product, save for the top trim MDX / RDX with the magnetic shocks.

That said, I'm also in Canada and moved from a 2016 MDX Navi to a 2019 Sorento SXL. I've done so much extensive research, both online and during test drives. I've compiled spreadsheets comparing various cars. Really nerded out way more than most people would. At the end of the day, I only shopped cars that got TSP+ on the IIHS crash test ratings, so obviously never even considered the Highlander. So, for me the Sorento was an obvious choice, but only in the SXL trim, as that's the only trim in Canada that comes with active safety features. I also intend on keeping this car for 10 years, and I wouldn't buy anything that comes without active safety.

Honda bundles active safety in almost the bottom trim of most of their products. If that's not a factor for you, you will love the Sorento. I certainly have zero regrets.
briar14 likes this.
philharmonic is online now  
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 01:07 PM
Full Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Chicago
Posts: 137
Drives: 2019 Sorento SXL AWD
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)

The 8 speed trans has been used (tested) in another Kia model so it's not brand new. The doors of the Sorento are the heaviest I have felt and was told it would be more protective in an accident. I trust that information and am not looking to find out for myself ! Consumer Reports shows Honda's reliability has gone down a lot, and (for example) the Odyssey minivan received great road test scores but well below average reliability so it's no longer recommended. The 3 row Sorento is bigger than the 2 row HRV & CRV but smaller than the Pilot and has a lot of room inside. The extra 3rd row room is good for lugging stuff but not for adult seating. It is grouped with the larger (also 3 row) Pilot and Highlander, one major reason it falls short of being the top model in that class.

Last edited by Chicago2018; 03-14-2019 at 01:09 PM.
Chicago2018 is offline  
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 03:07 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: NY, NY
Posts: 25
Drives: 2019 Sorento
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Agreed with most comments here. I would not hesitate on the 2019 Sorento, both the engine and trans have been tweaked and not fully redesigned, so your'e not dealing with a new trans or engine. The current Sorento has been in the market since MY16 and most data sources (at least the ones that matter, like CR's reliability) shows the V6 Sorento at above average reliability. The Highlander does show better reliability, but I think the Sorento is actually a better car based on safety, feature set, and near luxury refinement.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago2018 View Post
The 8 speed trans has been used (tested) in another Kia model so it's not brand new. The doors of the Sorento are the heaviest I have felt and was told it would be more protective in an accident. I trust that information and am not looking to find out for myself ! Consumer Reports shows Honda's reliability has gone down a lot, and (for example) the Odyssey minivan received great road test scores but well below average reliability so it's no longer recommended. The 3 row Sorento is bigger than the 2 row HRV & CRV but smaller than the Pilot and has a lot of room inside. The extra 3rd row room is good for lugging stuff but not for adult seating. It is grouped with the larger (also 3 row) Pilot and Highlander, one major reason it falls short of being the top model in that class.
jimmystiff is offline  
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 06:22 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 227
Drives: Sorento LX V6 2018
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)

I bought a 2018 to avoid the eight speed transmission, just because I always worry about first year deployment of anything, even if it's been used in other vehicles before but that's more paranoia than anything else. My wife came from an uber reliable 2012 Accord, the 6th Accord we had owned and they had all been dead reliable. Then they changed to the direct injected, turbo engine and decided to look around. Researched for over a year, here and other forums, talked to owners in parking lots, owners in our community and read every automotive publication I could about the vehicle. I was convinced that it was a solid, reliable, if uninspiring car (and nothing is more uninspiring than the Accord but as reliable as a rock). Only six months into ownership but so far it's been completely trouble free, very quiet and comfortable ride and decent gas mileage for its weight and the V6.

Knowing that Hyundai/Kia had to replace 168,000 4 cylinder engines wasn't a particularly encouraging statistic so one of the strong reasons I went with the V6. We are more protected here in the US with the warranty period which was also a big plus for us although I've recently heard that parent company Hyundai is rethinking that 10/100 warranty for their future vehicles - they feel as if they've developed enough of a quality reputation to abandon it in the US although the engine recall problem may set that timetable back a ways.

The only other advice is to look carefully at the new Telluride (Kia) and Pallisades (Hyundai). Larger than the current models but not huge, similar fuel mileage and pricing not terribly out of line although they probably wont' be discounting them early on. I kind of figure to keep my wife's Sorento k5 yers and then trade up to one of the larger ones. Some hints that the Sorento/Santa Fe XL may actually go away with the introduction but nothing from Kia supporting that.
tom4416 is offline  
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Canada
Posts: 6
Drives: Sorento 2019 EX Premium V6
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Thread Starter (Thread Starter)
Thank you gentlemen for your inputs, much appreciated. I also did my share of search, did a test drive as well.
We're set on the ex premium v6. sx and sxl is out of our price range, but the ex premium has plenty of options over the LX v6 and the ex v6. I have attached the PDF specs doc that shows the trims difference.
Now choosing the color is a challenge . Between Titanium, Passion RED and Blaze Blue
they are premium paint, don't know what they mean by that, could be high quality paints.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Specs.pdf (170.8 KB, 44 views)
grabbat is offline  
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 07:37 PM
Full Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Canada
Posts: 86
Drives: 2019 Sorento SXL
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grabbat View Post
Thank you gentlemen for your inputs, much appreciated. I also did my share of search, did a test drive as well.
We're set on the ex premium v6. sx and sxl is out of our price range, but the ex premium has plenty of options over the LX v6 and the ex v6. I have attached the PDF specs doc that shows the trims difference.
Now choosing the color is a challenge <img src="https://www.kia-forums.com/images/Kia-Forums/smilies/tango_face_smile.png" border="0" alt="" title="" class="inlineimg" />. Between Titanium, Passion RED and Blaze Blue
they are premium paint, don't know what they mean by that, could be high quality paints.
I got the Titanium as it’s the lightest colour they have closest to silver. If you’re in the GTA, private message me and I can connect you with a dealer that will go pretty much cost price.
AnneLeBo likes this.
philharmonic is online now  
Reply


Top

  Kia Forum > KIA Models > Kia Sorento Forum > 2016+ Sorento



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



  Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Considering Buying a 2012 Rio, Any Advice? nicholasprete 3G (2012 - 2017) Rio 3 01-03-2018 10:27 AM
Buying advice on used Borregos with 100k+ miles htioki Kia Mohave & Borrego 1 08-04-2016 01:57 PM
Buying in a few days...advice needed gbar70 2016+ Sorento 5 12-09-2015 12:40 PM
New member looking for buying advice slayerfaith1982 Kia Cerato, Shuma & Spectra Forum 4 04-22-2009 07:15 PM
New member looking for buying advice slayerfaith1982 Cerato (2003 - 2008) & Spectra5 (2004) 1 01-22-2009 07:04 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On