Software update for 2016-18 Sorento - Page 19 - Kia Forum

 29Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #181 of 199 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 11:43 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 62
Drives: 2016 Sorento EX 2.0T
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom4416 View Post
168,000 motors and counting is enough to give anyone pause.
I am curious where you got that number from? I assume it includes hyundai and kia?

I am concerned, don't get me wrong, to the point where I am installing a heat alarm in my garage. However there are millions of these engines on the road, many with hundreds of thousands of miles with no issues (at least this is what I am telling myself to make me feel better).

A family member had an optima for 7 years with the 2.0T with over 100,000 miles with no issues before they traded it for a sportage. I am going to roll the dice and hope I am as lucky as them.

I will also be keeping my eyes on the status of the class action here in Canada.

recon9 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #182 of 199 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 05:09 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 208
Drives: Sorento LX V6 2018
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by recon9 View Post
I am curious where you got that number from? I assume it includes hyundai and kia?

I am concerned, don't get me wrong, to the point where I am installing a heat alarm in my garage. However there are millions of these engines on the road, many with hundreds of thousands of miles with no issues (at least this is what I am telling myself to make me feel better).

A family member had an optima for 7 years with the 2.0T with over 100,000 miles with no issues before they traded it for a sportage. I am going to roll the dice and hope I am as lucky as them.

I will also be keeping my eyes on the status of the class action here in Canada.
I got the number from Consumer Reports where they recap existing recalls and Hyundai/Kia have a new recall out for the 168,000 motors that were already replaced because a fuel pipe may have been routed incorrectly during the replacement. I have since seen this additional recall in other media.
tom4416 is offline  
post #183 of 199 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 09:21 PM
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Florida
Posts: 112
Drives: 2016 Sorento SXL-Turbo
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincin06 View Post
Hi, Majic24 I have had my Sorrento 17 lx in the shop now for 2 and a half months. They said I need a new engine. Kia motors keeps telling me it's coming but subject to change each time that started on 3/22. I called my dealer yesterday to ask a few questions hung up looked at my email saw I had received one from kayla at kia motors stating that now my engine will not be in till 5/3. I called back to the dealer and to my disbelief they said great news we did a test and we think it's just the harness not the engine. Just doesn't seem right to me. Any insight would be great because if they do the test and the harness works and I finally get my car back I'm nervous the whole thing will happen again and was wondering what happened in you situation?
Cincin06, good to hear back from you. I have asked two different Kia service managers and advisors and their take is. A small percentage of people have had issues after doing the update, both dealers said theyíve done over a 1000 updates each.Mostly older models 2012-2014 optimaís were most common. I have been very happy with my Sorento as I said before the build quality is outstanding and I love the performance of the turbo engine. Iíve had zero problems to date. So I bought out my lease last week and plan and keep it for a very long time. Iím done dealing with car dealerships but thatís another issue.Look forward to hearing how things work out for you with the wiring harness fix. Cheers
Majic24 is offline  
 
post #184 of 199 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 10:28 PM
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Florida
Posts: 112
Drives: 2016 Sorento SXL-Turbo
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)

Iím keeping mine too. My neighbor has 2.0T at almost 70k miles no problems. My research online and from dealers, engine failure is from a small percentage. A comparably equipped 4runner is almost $50,000 and itís not finished as nicely as Sorento. No Michelin tires etc.
Majic24 is offline  
post #185 of 199 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 10:50 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 40
Drives: 2017 Sorento LX
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

Add me to the victim list. I had the update done a couple of months ago. As I was accelerating onto the freeway I was sent into limp mode. I pulled off the road to a side street and cycled the engine off and on but the light would not clear. I drove home, scanned it and got a P1326 code per my Torque app which says its related to knock. I am going to see about dropping this off tomorrow. Good thing I have a second car.

EDIT: I called the dealer and advised I had the update done and pulled a P1326 knock code he sounded aware of the issue. He told me they would run some tests. Guess we will see..

Last edited by timaishu; 04-22-2019 at 12:14 PM.
timaishu is offline  
post #186 of 199 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 06:33 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: VA
Posts: 298
Drives: 2017 Kia Sorento LX AWD
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by timaishu View Post
Add me to the victim list. I had the update done a couple of months ago. As I was accelerating onto the freeway I was sent into limp mode. I pulled off the road to a side street and cycled the engine off and on but the light would not clear. I drove home, scanned it and got a P1326 code per my Torque app which says its related to knock. I am going to see about dropping this off tomorrow. Good thing I have a second car.

EDIT: I called the dealer and advised I had the update done and pulled a P1326 knock code he sounded aware of the issue. He told me they would run some tests. Guess we will see..
How many miles do you have?
brsexton is offline  
post #187 of 199 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 07:17 PM
Member
 
Wayne Pfeiffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Fairfield Township, Ohio
Posts: 54
Drives: 2016 Sorento SX-L, 2018 Stinger GT2
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Garage

I have had the update now for about 10,000 miles, just had the 65k maintenance done and have had no problems with my 2016 2.0T. Will be trading her in soon on a Telluride.

2018 Stinger GT2
2016 Sorento SX-L
2012 Mustang Convertible
Wayne Pfeiffer is offline  
post #188 of 199 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 10:28 PM
Expert
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Canada
Posts: 726
Drives: 2016 Sorento SX 2.0T (sold)
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Pfeiffer View Post
I have had the update now for about 10,000 miles, just had the 65k maintenance done and have had no problems with my 2016 2.0T. Will be trading her in soon on a Telluride.
Good choice. All it needs is a 3.3 TT option and it will have enough power to get out of its own way.

2019 Nautilus Reserve, 2.7 V6, Twin Turbos
2012 Mustang Brembo GT, 5.0 V8, Roush 2.3 TVS Supercharger
"Go blown or go home"
hand-filer is offline  
post #189 of 199 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 11:56 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 40
Drives: 2017 Sorento LX
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brsexton View Post
How many miles do you have?
Just rolled over to 45,000.
timaishu is offline  
post #190 of 199 (permalink) Old 04-23-2019, 05:07 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3
Drives: Sorrento LX 2017
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Yeah really, Liars!
Cincin06 is offline  
Reply


Top

  Kia Forum > KIA Models > Kia Sorento Forum > 2016+ Sorento



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



  Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Latest kia soul software update with android auto issue tdemarco34 Kia Soul Forum 14 09-21-2016 06:28 PM
Kia Sorento Crankshaft Pulley Bolt Shawn 2003-2010 Sorento Forum 17 05-20-2011 09:07 AM
An Update on the Sorento Spec SX Image and Video Gallery 4 10-21-2010 07:52 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On