2016 Sorento UVO Alternatives - Kia Forum

 29Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Northwest Massachusetts
Posts: 29
Drives: 2016 Sorento LX 3.3 V6 AWD
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Thread Starter (Thread Starter)
Question 2016 Sorento UVO Alternatives

Without spending a fortune, are there any decent alternatives that are an exact replacement
for the current UVO (non navigation) head that I have?

MikeB39A is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 08:25 PM
Veteran
 
josuet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 1,494
Drives: 2016 Sorento EX 2.0T AWD
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB39A View Post
Without spending a fortune, are there any decent alternatives that are an exact replacement
for the current UVO (non navigation) head that I have?
Many in this forum have installed Aliexpress's infinidi android unit now known as Asottu. Check it out

2G 32G Android 7.1 Octa core for kia Sorento 2015 2016 car dvd gps navigation dvd player car radio audio video player 2 din gps
http://s.aliexpress.com/NRnuu2AZ?fromSns=Copy to clipboard
MikeB39A likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 Sorento EX 2.0T AWD
josuet is offline  
post #3 of 64 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 06:37 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Northwest Massachusetts
Posts: 29
Drives: 2016 Sorento LX 3.3 V6 AWD
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Thread Starter (Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by josuet View Post
Many in this forum have installed Aliexpress's infinidi android unit now known as Asottu. Check it out

2G 32G Android 7.1 Octa core for kia Sorento 2015 2016 car dvd gps navigation dvd player car radio audio video player 2 din gps
http://s.aliexpress.com/NRnuu2AZ?fromSns=Copy to clipboard
That looks decent and price is reasonable. I'm not an Android guy though. I'll search for something
that might support Apple Car Play. Thanks!
MikeB39A is offline  
 
post #4 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 08:35 AM
Member
 
Dabruuzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 32
Drives: 2016 Kia Sorento LX+ 2.0T, 2000 Honda Valkyrie Interstate
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Just ordered one of the Dasaita Android 8.0 units (see pic), after a bit of research. PX5 octa-core chip, 4GB/32GB, etc. Not crazy about losing the silver-color trim in my car, but this is apparently plug & play and simple for someone relatively hands-on-adverse to install. They had me send a pic of the current radio (UVO non-nav) and are sending me an extra adapter to retain the stock backup camera as well. On it's way right now, so I will report on how well it fits my '16 LX+ Turbo.

josuet, Richjohn19 and MikeB39A like this.

Last edited by Dabruuzer; 10-01-2018 at 09:19 AM.
Dabruuzer is offline  
post #5 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 08:37 AM
Member
 
Dabruuzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 32
Drives: 2016 Kia Sorento LX+ 2.0T, 2000 Honda Valkyrie Interstate
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB39A View Post
That looks decent and price is reasonable. I'm not an Android guy though. I'll search for something
that might support Apple Car Play. Thanks!
Oh, the unit I posted above will work with Carplay as long as you have the proper USB dongle, like this one.
MikeB39A likes this.
Dabruuzer is offline  
post #6 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Northwest Massachusetts
Posts: 29
Drives: 2016 Sorento LX 3.3 V6 AWD
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Thread Starter (Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabruuzer View Post
Oh, the unit I posted above will work with Carplay as long as you have the proper USB dongle, like this one.
That unit you bought looks great and thanks for info on the dongle.
MikeB39A is offline  
post #7 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 08:17 PM
Senior Member
 
Richjohn19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: California Bay Area
Posts: 225
Drives: 2017 Kia Sorento LX V6
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)

Lol here we go again.....I have the original android head unit that we all installed in the original stereo replacement thread. If this supports Apple iOS then I am likely going to switch to this. What dongle are you talking about?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Richjohn19 is offline  
post #8 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-07-2018, 06:41 AM
Senior Member
 
Richjohn19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: California Bay Area
Posts: 225
Drives: 2017 Kia Sorento LX V6
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabruuzer View Post
Just ordered one of the Dasaita Android 8.0 units (see pic), after a bit of research. PX5 octa-core chip, 4GB/32GB, etc. Not crazy about losing the silver-color trim in my car, but this is apparently plug & play and simple for someone relatively hands-on-adverse to install. They had me send a pic of the current radio (UVO non-nav) and are sending me an extra adapter to retain the stock backup camera as well. On it's way right now, so I will report on how well it fits my '16 LX+ Turbo.



Any updates on the install? Iím also interested in this and they had me send a picture of the stock head unit front and back. Mine is 2017 so Iím just waiting on a reply back from them and pictures of yours installed. Hoping I donít have to rewire my back up camera again


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MikeB39A likes this.
Richjohn19 is offline  
post #9 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 02:40 PM
Member
 
Dabruuzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 32
Drives: 2016 Kia Sorento LX+ 2.0T, 2000 Honda Valkyrie Interstate
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richjohn19 View Post
Any updates on the install? I’m also interested in this and they had me send a picture of the stock head unit front and back. Mine is 2017 so I’m just waiting on a reply back from them and pictures of yours installed. Hoping I don’t have to rewire my back up camera again


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey there! Apologies - I haven't checked the forum in a few days. I am having the unit installed on Friday this week (I am absolutely NOT handy), and I have taken some pics and 4K video of the unit, included wires, box, etc. for an unboxing I intend to post on YouTube eventually. Once it is installed and I can film the in-car portion of the video, I will also do a first impressions vid. As of now, I can't comment more until it is installed and working. Will keep the thread updated.

Last edited by Dabruuzer; 10-10-2018 at 02:55 PM.
Dabruuzer is offline  
post #10 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 02:59 PM
Member
 
Dabruuzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 32
Drives: 2016 Kia Sorento LX+ 2.0T, 2000 Honda Valkyrie Interstate
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richjohn19 View Post
Lol here we go again.....I have the original android head unit that we all installed in the original stereo replacement thread. If this supports Apple iOS then I am likely going to switch to this. What dongle are you talking about?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
THIS is the one they sent me. Now, I only have Android phones in my house, and this dongle apparently has to mirror the screen for AA. But for CarPlay, it is just supposed to work, along with a companion app installed on the head unit. Best I can tell you until I can test it out.
Dabruuzer is offline  
Reply


Top

  Kia Forum > KIA Models > Kia Sorento Forum > 2016+ Sorento



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



  Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Does anyone tow with their 2016 Sorento? Jeff10236 2016+ Sorento 100 02-27-2019 02:50 PM
2016 Sorento EX AWD V6 as our RV tow vehicle Prien1937 New Member Area/Introduction 6 05-30-2017 08:01 PM
2016 Sorento SX AWD Review altaski 2016+ Sorento 60 07-07-2016 10:18 PM
Review of Prod 2/2015 2016 Sorento SX AWD altaski 2016+ Sorento 11 08-09-2015 04:39 PM
From a 2014 Sorento SX to a 2016 Sorento SX frictionfx 2016+ Sorento 10 04-29-2015 12:45 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On