Oz Headunit - Kia Forum
 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-06-2018, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 5
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Thread Starter (Thread Starter)
Oz Headunit

Hi guys & Gals,

Brought a 2016/17 Kia Sorento in late 2016 with the older head unit that doesn't support Android Auto/Apple Carplay etc.

Apparently the head unit I have is no longer supported and no more updates are being released for it including for the map side of things. This is despite being told we should get three updates or something.

So I"m wondering if anyone has tried putting in the head unit from a 2017/18 model sorrento into the previous model sorento. Does anyone have any details on the head unit such as model numbers, pictures etc??

Thanks

Stewart

Sjmclean is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 09:37 AM
Full Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Sudbury, Ontario
Posts: 95
Drives: Kia Sorento SX+ 2016
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjmclean View Post
Hi guys & Gals,

Brought a 2016/17 Kia Sorento in late 2016 with the older head unit that doesn't support Android Auto/Apple Carplay etc.

Apparently the head unit I have is no longer supported and no more updates are being released for it including for the map side of things. This is despite being told we should get three updates or something.

So I"m wondering if anyone has tried putting in the head unit from a 2017/18 model sorrento into the previous model sorento. Does anyone have any details on the head unit such as model numbers, pictures etc??

Thanks

Stewart
I bought a Canadian 2016 with the headunit that doesn't support Android Auto/Car play but got the update from a map update (had to purchase it). Works great now.

Mine is the SXL model though; I can't speak for other versions of the car.

You don't say if you are Canadian; and getting updates seem to be an ordeal. However I have since updated again after the map update with this site.

https://www.kia.ca/softwareupgrade

I can't comment how to manually get the updates if you aren't Canadian.
frayedsew is offline  
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 5
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Thread Starter (Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frayedsew View Post
I bought a Canadian 2016 with the headunit that doesn't support Android Auto/Car play but got the update from a map update (had to purchase it). Works great now.

Mine is the SXL model though; I can't speak for other versions of the car.

You don't say if you are Canadian; and getting updates seem to be an ordeal. However I have since updated again after the map update with this site.

**Removed quoted link as I don't have sufficient posts

I can't comment how to manually get the updates if you aren'
t Canadian.

I swear I posted this only moments ago but anywhoo....

Thanks frayedsew for your response. I should have mentioned that this is for a 2016 Australian SLI Sorento.

I believe i can infact purchase updates or at least map updates for around $250 per update. At least that is what I have heard from others. However when I purchased the car i was told I'd get three updates over the course of the next three years for free. This turns out not to be the case and I won't received any updates for free and the headunit is no longer being supported by the manufacturer. There is no update for the headunit to add in Android Auto/Apple Car Play.

So that is one reason why I was interested in find out if I can put in the 2018 model head unit from an Australian Sorento into my 2016 so I can use apple car play etc. However I haven't been able to find anyone who has done it or knows if its possible. Infact I don't even know who the manufacturer is of the unit so I can see if I can get a third party harness of something to get it working.

I do know its not compatible OTB , at least according to Kia Australia. Apparent they are incompatible hardware wise.

So looking for any inforamtion of anyone who has done it, or knows more about the 2018 head unit.

Thanks

Stewart
Sjmclean is offline  
 
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 07:58 PM
Veteran
 
josuet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 1,498
Drives: 2016 Sorento EX 2.0T AWD
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjmclean View Post
Hi guys & Gals,

Brought a 2016/17 Kia Sorento in late 2016 with the older head unit that doesn't support Android Auto/Apple Carplay etc.

Apparently the head unit I have is no longer supported and no more updates are being released for it including for the map side of things. This is despite being told we should get three updates or something.

So I"m wondering if anyone has tried putting in the head unit from a 2017/18 model sorrento into the previous model sorento. Does anyone have any details on the head unit such as model numbers, pictures etc??

Thanks

Stewart
Can you please post a pic of your current head unit? Unless market specific, all 16 models with nav should be able to upgrade to android auto. If you have a nav model...you could try creating an account in kia.com/us and using a fake sxl vin, dowload the android software...better off finding out the feasibility. Lets begin with the pic.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 Sorento EX 2.0T AWD
josuet is offline  
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 08:08 PM
Veteran
 
josuet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 1,498
Drives: 2016 Sorento EX 2.0T AWD
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjmclean View Post
So that is one reason why I was interested in find out if I can put in the 2018 model head unit from an Australian Sorento into my 2016 so I can use apple car play etc. However I haven't been able to find anyone who has done it or knows if its possible. Infact I don't even know who the manufacturer is of the unit so I can see if I can get a third party harness of something to get it working.
1) is the Aussy 2018 Sorento the new facelifted model? Or same as 2016?

2) if it's the same, I dont see why it would not work..

3) another option is to get a chandroid (aftermarket android unit) that are compatible with our Sorentos (aliexpress - infidini/asottu)

4) in my previous post, by fake I meant taken from a real SX model (for sale). In NA, it's easy to find the vin number online.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 Sorento EX 2.0T AWD
josuet is offline  
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 5
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Thread Starter (Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by josuet View Post
Can you please post a pic of your current head unit? Unless market specific, all 16 models with nav should be able to upgrade to android auto. If you have a nav model...you could try creating an account in kia.com/us and using a fake sxl vin, dowload the android software...better off finding out the feasibility. Lets begin with the pic.
Thanks for your response! According to KIA Australia, my head unit can't be upgraded to Android/Apple Car play. Whats more no further updates are available. At least according to them.

I may consider getting a Chinese aftermarket version if this fails.....but will have to see....

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 9-2-18, 1 12 47 pm_800x600.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	95666   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 9-2-18, 1 13 51 pm_800x600.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	95674  
Sjmclean is offline  
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 5
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Thread Starter (Thread Starter)
[QUOTE=josuet;1866050]1) is the Aussy 2018 Sorento the new facelifted model? Or same as 2016?

2) if it's the same, I dont see why it would not work..

Unfortunately they are not the same. They changed the design and its slightly different with a new head unit. I have no idea though who makes the head units of either version though, so I can't confirm either way.
Sjmclean is offline  
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 08:38 PM
Veteran
 
josuet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 1,498
Drives: 2016 Sorento EX 2.0T AWD
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjmclean View Post
Thanks for your response! According to KIA Australia, my head unit can't be upgraded to Android/Apple Car play. Whats more no further updates are available. At least according to them.

I may consider getting a Chinese aftermarket version if this fails.....but will have to see....

Thanks
I would give it try to the fake NorthAmerica owner method. But be aware that you might mess up your head unit completely if the sw is incompatible. Chandroids are proven to work just fine and there is enough information is this forum to install it properly.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 Sorento EX 2.0T AWD

Last edited by josuet; 02-08-2018 at 08:48 PM.
josuet is offline  
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 08:43 PM
Veteran
 
josuet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 1,498
Drives: 2016 Sorento EX 2.0T AWD
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjmclean View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by josuet View Post
1) is the Aussy 2018 Sorento the new facelifted model? Or same as 2016?

2) if it's the same, I dont see why it would not work..

Unfortunately they are not the same. They changed the design and its slightly different with a new head unit. I have no idea though who makes the head units of either version though, so I can't confirm either way.
Ok...they new model. The only way to confirm if it is possible or not, is through the service manual. Buy a pdf copy online and compare the pinout of both units...another concern is whether the dashboard shape is exactly the same, you might need to swap the dash face plates.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2016 Sorento EX 2.0T AWD
josuet is offline  
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 5
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Thread Starter (Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by josuet View Post
Ok...they new model. The only way to confirm if it is possible or not, is through the service manual. Buy a pdf copy online and compare the pinout of both units...another concern is whether the dashboard shape is exactly the same, you might need to swap the dash face plates.
Okay thanks, I'll do some more googling and see what I can come up with. Although I think i might just go the aftermarket Chinese versions . Might be easier....
Sjmclean is offline  
Reply


Top

  Kia Forum > KIA Models > Kia Sorento Forum > 2016+ Sorento



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



  Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kia Sorento 2017 GT Line OEM Headunit bahrambidel2234442 2016+ Sorento 6 10-25-2017 12:46 AM
2017 Sportage headunit in 2013 Sportage? eblueskittle 3G 2011 - 2016 Sportage 3 04-05-2016 08:45 PM
Advanced Car DVD GPS Navi Autoradio Headunit For Kia New Sorento 2010 2011 2012 carlman Parts For Sale / Trade 3 09-15-2015 01:09 PM
New Pioneer headunit Spec SX Car Audio, Video & Electronics 8 02-05-2007 09:28 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On