The Wizard
Expert

Drives: '15 Sorento EX
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 154 Post(s)

Thread Starter (Thread Starter)
It's a Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited RWD with the Luxury II package and the towing package. That includes leather seating, heated and ventilated seats, navigation, panoramic roof, automatic wipers, HID headlights, LED fog lights, and an Alpine sound system. The 3.6L V6 is plenty peppy - surprisingly so... it startled me the first few times I drove it.

The navigation system is by Garmin so it is very good. Still, it talks a lot and doesn't seem to have a setting to reduce the number of times it talks. I would prefer having it announce upcoming turns but then just chime at the intersection. But it's so much faster recalculating that you don't even notice it doing so. And no big black box covering up the map while it's thinking.

The steering feel is similar to the Sorento and has the same three settings but it doesn't seem to wander as much. I had the alignment done several times on the Sorento but it still seemed to need constant small movements of the wheel to keep it in the center of the lane. The Jeep just goes where I point it without any fuss. Neither one has any significant road feel through the wheel but they're not sports cars so that's not an issue. I will miss the under-floor storage space in the Kia - the Jeep has a full size spare in that area.

I have seen the reliability rankings but I don't put much stock in them. Sometimes it's just the luck of the draw whether you get a gem or a lemon. I have an eight-year-old Mustang which also had terrible reliability ratings yet, other than maintenance, it hasn't cost me more than a couple hundred bucks in repairs (needed one of the automatic climate door motors replaced for $150). The available air suspension on the Jeep is reportedly a big source of problems but I didn't get that. Still, I was able to get an 8-year, 100,000 mile Mopar bumper-to-bumper extended warranty for a reasonable price so I hope that will take care of any expensive issues. The jury is still out on dealer service but I have several to choose from locally.

Jeep owners tend to be very loyal - some are fanatics - so I think that says something about the product. There's also a large enthusiast community and lots of aftermarket parts and accessories available. I've already installed side steps/running boards because the floor height seems more of a stretch than it was in the Sorento.