Kia Forum banner

Crank Shaft gone 25,000k miles

10K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  picantoice 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi There

Wondering can anyone help me on this...basically my car is just 3 years old Kia Picanto EX 2004, had full service done in Aug...2 weeks later its losing power brought it back and they told me theres nothing wrong with the car...6 weeks later again i bring it back they tell me my crank shaft is gone it'll prob cost me 3 grand but my car was only out of warranty by 6 weeks as i had brought it for the service in August....
My car has 25,500 miles on it, i've always had a full service done on it in the dealership where i bought it...and they still want me to pay for it...Kia are willing to pay €1,500 but i'm supposed to pay the other €1,000 which i don't think i should as I didn't do any wrong to the car. Can anyone please tell me in your opinion why a crank shaft goes and should this go with the mileage i have. Hope someone can shed a bit of light as i'm without a car now the last 2.5 weeks as they won't give me a replacement car coz it was out of bloody warranty.

Cheers

#3 ·
Is your concern about why a crankshaft goes or is it really the cost? 25K miles is low for a crank failure but I'll address the cost as a crank can go for several reasons despite the service history and would be very long winded.

It's a touchy subject and regardless of what's said/suggested, someone always gets the wrong idea. Regardless, I'll wade in.

First it must be remembered or at least realized a warranty is a contract. Once the contract expires, the warranty is no longer valid.

However, it appears, from your comments, that Kia is willing to pickup over 1/2 of the bill. These goodwill gestures are not to be taken lightly and in this case, mileage is likely part or most of the reason for them offering anything.

During my 35+ years of service and fleet maintenance, I wrote warranty claims for almost 20 of those years. During this time period I went to bat for the customer, when I thought it was appropriate, amd won more than I lost because I usually had "just cause".

How you got your goodwill gesture you didn't state and is important. If it was done thru your dealers service department, odds are you should take what was offered. In this case the odds are fairly high that if you fight it and ask for more, the inital offer might be rejected & you'll then end up spending a whole lot more on lawyers and in the big picture loose whatever you've already gained. This is something I've seen in the past.

As per a loaner, again, the warranty contract has expired.

Until I have a great deal more info, the above is all I can say.

Good luck with your decision.

#4 ·
I'm suspicious about your crank problem !
Its just too much of a coincidence that you have a problem just after the service. Now only one of a few things is possible here. You had a problem before the service anyway. Or -the dealer (mechanic) did something during the service. Its possible that the guy doing the change was distracted and started engine up with the new oil not added to engine.This is dead easy to do. Phone call, coffee, fire alarm practice -you name it. I know it sounds remote, but modern engines and oils mean a crank problem (bearings) is quite rare. However if you are the type of person who treats an engine with lack of respect, very hard driving, very high prolonged revs, you may just have over stressed it anyway ? These Kia engines are quite tough and forgiving.
So only you can comment, but its such a close timing of service and problem to be unconnected don't you think ? - But you will never prove anything I guess. Maybe go with the offer and cut your losses - but change dealer anyway 'Once bitten twice shy.
Regards

#5 ·
Interesting reply from otnacip4. Two things I will learn from this; 1. Take my car in at least two months before the warranty runs out. (If the dealers are honest, they will tell you, if they are not, or they have wrecked your car, you have time enough to discover it. 2. If I have a problem and take it to the local dealers and they say nothings wrong, I will take it to an independent dealer to verify the diagnosis. Unfortunately, Erniedaisy, you have been the loser in all this.

#8 ·
Hi Thanks a mil for your replys...I have gone to my solicitor already...Kia have said as its only 25,000 miles thats why they will pay for 70% but I paid over €400.00 on my service in Aug and the most expense now is labour from the dealership like i'd have no prob paying €320.00 for parts but they want me to pay over €600.00 on labour.. Its more the principle of the thing like I don't drive hard I haven't even got it three years yet well not til November. I always brought it for a service to them rather than go to a local mechanic so I thought that would be better. I'm getting an engineer in for them to have a look ...like they haven't explained to me why this happens I've been told oil is a problem but they put oil in on the last service...It wasn't jumping or losing power before I went in for a service.

This is what they have told me:-

Connected Hi Scan diagnostic tool. No faults recorded. Checked timing found to be incorrect. Resetting timing noticed found wear on crankshaft pulley and crankshaft.

The wear resulting in vehicle timing to be incorrect, Causing the lack of power.

What does this mean in my terms??? they told me that these things just happen and have given me no reason as to why it broke down...

Thanks again for all the replys i'll keep you posted as to what happens

#13 ·
if the crankshaft has for some reason possibly be design or blockage not been lubricated properly it can wear out. also if you drive the car hard and did not run it in then this too would wear it out. £1000 seems a fair price for a new one. The whole engine needs stripping down to replace it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.