LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-21-2011, 08:07 PM

Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

(Thread Starter)
Default 2001 Kia Spectra not starting

Have a 2001 Kia Spectra that is not starting. Wife was in parking lot and started it only to have it die immediately after starting and then it will not turn over.

Battery tested fine. Replaced the starter and still nothing. Battery terminals are cleaned and tested fine. Checked all the fuses for the relays and they were fine. Who knows if I missed one though. I did take off the wire from the starter solenoid and test it from the battery and was not getting anything.

I think this tells me that somewhere from the battery to the solenoid is bad? I've limited that down to either the relays or the neutral safety switch. Like I said I believe I checked all the relays and they looked good to me unless I missed one. I have no idea where the neutral safety switch is or how to get to it?

Anyone have any ideas? Oh the vehicle is just clicking when you turn it over. Lights and all power works fine but won't crank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 06:15 PM

Drives: 2003 Spectra, 2006 Kawasaki ZZR-600

In vehicles I've worked on that have had that problem, it's the starter relay, not the fuse.
#3 (permalink) Old 01-21-2012, 10:21 PM

i would definately check the starter relay. if you have no juice going to solenoid. Im not to sure it would be a bad ground if it was a bad ground you would have juice going into solenoid just none coming out. to your question on the neutral saftey switch. depending on if vehicle is automatic or manual will decide where switch is. if manual u will see the switch under the dash by where the clutch pedal is. usually behind clutch pedal since pushing in the pedal engages the switch so ur vehicle starts. if it an automatic the switch will be inside the shift selector area. not familiar with your car so not sure it there is a consoul there or if it is just a small gear select on floor. either way remove the gear select cover( thing that reads P R N D D2 D3 etc. ) and you will find the switch usually in that area hope that helps.

Kia Forum > KIA Models > Kia Cerato, Shuma & Spectra Forum > Shuma & Spectra (1997-2003)