#1 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 01:11 PM

Drives: 2013 soul plus-2013 soul exclaim
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thread Starter (Thread Starter)
Default code 1404

My 2002 spectra ls 1.8L has the ck. engine light on with a code 1404 "heater module leak detected". Car runs great, just the ck. engine light stays on. Can't find this 1404 code explanation anywhere. Can someone help me with this or at least point me in the right direction? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 01:29 PM

Also, when the light first came on i disconnected the battery to clear the code. It stayed off for 3 days and then returned. Both times the light came on after a hot soak condition when I started the motor back up.
#3 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 07:56 PM
Veteran

Drives: 1990 VW Corrado SC 1.8L, 2005 Kia Spectra EX
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwrench View Post
My 2002 spectra ls 1.8L has the ck. engine light on with a code 1404 "heater module leak detected". Car runs great, just the ck. engine light stays on. Can't find this 1404 code explanation anywhere. Can someone help me with this or at least point me in the right direction? Thanks.
P1404-1 DMTL Power Stage(motor)
P1404-2 DMTL Power Heater
P1404 Leak detection module solenoid valve circuit malfunction

The DM-TL (Diagnostic Module Tank Leakage) is used to monitor the evaporative system for leaks. The diagnostic module consists of an air filter, an electrical driven air pump, a change-over valve and a 0.02 inch orifice for reference measurement . Heated type Module applied to improved Leakage Detection Module. Using the heated DM-TL can completely eliminate the humidity influence. So, the Leakage detection is never stopped caused by the current fluctuation (due to dew effects at extreme high humidity).
If the value exceeds threshold value, the ECM judged this as a fault and DTC is set.

You'll want to follow the EVAP line from the charcoal canister in the underchassis and it should lead you to it.

http://images.animelab.com/gallery/Akira/Images/akira022.jpg
Mike AKA Paco
For US Kia service info Kiatechinfo
#4 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 08:09 PM

Mike, thanks for your reply. Now I know where to look and what to look for. It is great to have web sites like this and people like you willing to share their knowledge.
#5 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacosworld View Post
P1404-1 DMTL Power Stage(motor)
P1404-2 DMTL Power Heater
P1404 Leak detection module solenoid valve circuit malfunction

The DM-TL (Diagnostic Module Tank Leakage) is used to monitor the evaporative system for leaks. The diagnostic module consists of an air filter, an electrical driven air pump, a change-over valve and a 0.02 inch orifice for reference measurement . Heated type Module applied to improved Leakage Detection Module. Using the heated DM-TL can completely eliminate the humidity influence. So, the Leakage detection is never stopped caused by the current fluctuation (due to dew effects at extreme high humidity).
If the value exceeds threshold value, the ECM judged this as a fault and DTC is set.

You'll want to follow the EVAP line from the charcoal canister in the underchassis and it should lead you to it.
Mike,
Very thorough answer to the question. Just a small follow-up. I've looked at all of the parts diagrams on quite a few kia parts sites and cannot find anything remotely called DM-TL, or air pump, or Leak Detection (with or without "Module") .
If this item is bad, what is the Kia nomenclature for it so that I can order one? Is it all part of the solenoid assembly?
Thanks in advance, Bob in NC
#6 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 07:34 PM
Veteran

Drives: 1990 VW Corrado SC 1.8L, 2005 Kia Spectra EX
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobainsworth View Post
Mike,
Very thorough answer to the question. Just a small follow-up. I've looked at all of the parts diagrams on quite a few kia parts sites and cannot find anything remotely called DM-TL, or air pump, or Leak Detection (with or without "Module") .
If this item is bad, what is the Kia nomenclature for it so that I can order one? Is it all part of the solenoid assembly?
Thanks in advance, Bob in NC
Bob,
PM me your VIN so I can locate a part #.

http://images.animelab.com/gallery/Akira/Images/akira022.jpg
Mike AKA Paco
For US Kia service info Kiatechinfo

Kia Forum > KIA Models > Kia Cerato, Shuma & Spectra Forum > Shuma & Spectra (1997-2003)