post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 03:27 AM Thread Starter

Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thread Starter (Thread Starter)
Brake Lights Not Working....

Hi all,

I have just noticed that everytime i stepped on the brake pedal the brake lights won't come on. I searched the threads and found two here but am not sure that it helps because the thread mentions a stuck plungger near the pedal and that the brake lights were on and off intermitently, well mine is totally out and i have checked it is not the bulbs.... I called the workshop to ask what might the likely cause of the disfunction, and was told it was was most probably the brake switch. Is the brake switch and the plungger the same thing? Can it be fixed without bringing the car to the workshop...? thanks alot people, any help is greatly appreciated....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 02:29 PM
Premium Member

Drives: 2015 Buick Verano "Leather Group", 2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwibawa76 View Post
Hi all,

I have just noticed that everytime i stepped on the brake pedal the brake lights won't come on. I searched the threads and found two here but am not sure that it helps because the thread mentions a stuck plungger near the pedal and that the brake lights were on and off intermitently, well mine is totally out and i have checked it is not the bulbs.... I called the workshop to ask what might the likely cause of the disfunction, and was told it was was most probably the brake switch. Is the brake switch and the plungger the same thing? Can it be fixed without bringing the car to the workshop...? thanks alot people, any help is greatly appreciated....
You didn't mention if you checked the fuse. Did you?

2015 Buick Verano Leather Group
2015 Kia Optima Hybrid
1987 Mazda RX-7 GLX

The Old
99 Sephia, 01 Spectra, 05 Spectra, 08 Sportage
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-03-2010, 04:08 PM

Drives: 2007 Rondo LX 7-pass 2006 Sedona LX

You didn't say what vehicle, but my 2006 Sedona switch failed and my 2007 Rondo switch failed. Both were replaced under warranty. The switch is located up under the dash on or hear the brake pedal arm at the servo attachment.

Last edited by blade1032; 09-03-2010 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Add info.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

I have opened up the fuse box but was not able to locate the specific writen fuse for the brakelights and also my car is 2002 Spectra.

Thanks for the reply guys
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-04-2010, 02:43 PM
Super Moderator

Drives: 2007 SpectraLX, 2006 SpectraSX, Kubuntu
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)

From the kiatechinfo.com site.
The full power feed for the brake light circuit....
from battery (+) post to fuse BTN (30amp in engine compartment) to fuse Stop(15amp in cab of car) to the brake light switch(mounted on steering column), to the brake light lamps (rear of car), to ground wire bolted to body of car (by the brake light lamps).
Dave
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 01:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavesSpectra View Post
From the kiatechinfo.com site.
The full power feed for the brake light circuit....
from battery (+) post to fuse BTN (30amp in engine compartment) to fuse Stop(15amp in cab of car) to the brake light switch(mounted on steering column), to the brake light lamps (rear of car), to ground wire bolted to body of car (by the brake light lamps).
Dave
Would it be possible to send me the link to kiatechinfo, I opened up the panel under the steering column but could not find the fuse box or anything there..... Thanks again...
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 02:54 AM
Super Moderator

Drives: 2007 SpectraLX, 2006 SpectraSX, Kubuntu
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)

Pretty simple.... the "link" to kiatechinfo is as simple as typing kiatechinfo.com into the address box at the top of your internet browser and pressing enter....
You MUST be running windows and using Internet Explorer (both Microsoft products) and also have downloaded and the SVG plugin from Adobe to use the site. It won't work with Mac or Linux.
The fuse panel would be shown in the owner's manual along with the labels I posted in my last message.
Dave
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 06:09 PM

Hi Guys
I noticed today my cruise control quit working, also that I have no brake lights. After changing the switch at th break peadle had nothing. Checked the brake light behind rear window it was out. Changed it and cruise starting working,also both LR brake light bulbs where blown. After I got 1 break light bulb burning my cruise started working.

Just a note... hope I helped
my first post
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-15-2011, 06:15 PM

Follow up my car is a 06 Optima 2.4L stright drive nothing but trouble. Changed crank shaft sensor 4 times, timing belt twice, low beam head light bulbs ever 2 months first the left then the right never the one I just changed. Talked to kia about this, they told to me have the dealer ship change bulb I did while under warrety still $50 buck.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-30-2011, 03:50 PM

Can anyone Please help me ? I have a 2006 Kia spectra and brake light's will not come on . I changed the brake switch , the fuses don't look bad. the bulbs are good . Now I'm lost at what to check. I didn't change the fuses but I thinking I will try that tonight.

Kia Forum > KIA Models > Kia Cerato, Shuma & Spectra Forum > Shuma & Spectra (1997-2003)