Kia Forum banner

Brake Lights Not Working....

148K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  MissiAnne 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I have just noticed that everytime i stepped on the brake pedal the brake lights won't come on. I searched the threads and found two here but am not sure that it helps because the thread mentions a stuck plungger near the pedal and that the brake lights were on and off intermitently, well mine is totally out and i have checked it is not the bulbs.... I called the workshop to ask what might the likely cause of the disfunction, and was told it was was most probably the brake switch. Is the brake switch and the plungger the same thing? Can it be fixed without bringing the car to the workshop...? thanks alot people, any help is greatly appreciated....

#5 ·
From the kiatechinfo.com site.
The full power feed for the brake light circuit....
from battery (+) post to fuse BTN (30amp in engine compartment) to fuse Stop(15amp in cab of car) to the brake light switch(mounted on steering column), to the brake light lamps (rear of car), to ground wire bolted to body of car (by the brake light lamps).
Dave

#7 ·
Pretty simple.... the "link" to kiatechinfo is as simple as typing kiatechinfo.com into the address box at the top of your internet browser and pressing enter....
You MUST be running windows and using Internet Explorer (both Microsoft products) and also have downloaded and the SVG plugin from Adobe to use the site. It won't work with Mac or Linux.
The fuse panel would be shown in the owner's manual along with the labels I posted in my last message.
Dave

#8 ·
Hi Guys
I noticed today my cruise control quit working, also that I have no brake lights. After changing the switch at th break peadle had nothing. Checked the brake light behind rear window it was out. Changed it and cruise starting working,also both LR brake light bulbs where blown. After I got 1 break light bulb burning my cruise started working.

Just a note... hope I helped
my first post

#9 ·
Follow up my car is a 06 Optima 2.4L stright drive nothing but trouble. Changed crank shaft sensor 4 times, timing belt twice, low beam head light bulbs ever 2 months first the left then the right never the one I just changed. Talked to kia about this, they told to me have the dealer ship change bulb I did while under warrety still $50 buck.

#13 ·
Man, from the looks of all the different posts about malfunctioning brake lights and faulty electrical, I'm surprised Kia hasn't been sued. All of us out here driving with no brake lights for lord knows how long before we found it... no good. I almost got rear ended 3 times coming off the expressway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.