User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 12:01 PM

Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

(Thread Starter)

I have a 2001 Spectra with a P0301 code. 1.8 L Engine. I switched coil packs and code stayed at #1. I replaced plugs, #1 fuel injector, Fuel filter. Fuel pressure is 52 PSI, but goes to 0 psi immediately when key is shut off. Cylinder pressure is OK. and computor is sending a signal to injector. Checked with NOID light.
I am at a loss as to cause of #1 misfire. ANY IDEAS ?
Thanks
Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 04:27 PM

This may help. This website's directions helped me greatly in troubleshooting my P0133 code a few months back.

P0301 Code - Cylinder #1 Misfire
Technical DescriptionCylinder #1 Misfire Detected

What does that mean?A P0301 code means that the the car's computer has detected that one of the engine's cylinders is not firing properly. In this case it's cylinder #1.

SymptomsSymptoms may include:
the engine may be harder to start
the engine may stumble / stumble, and/or hesitate
other symptoms may also be present

Causes:
A code P0301 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:
Faulty spark plug or wire
Faulty coil (pack)
Faulty oxygen sensor(s)
Faulty fuel injector
Burned exhaust valve
Faulty catalytic converter(s)
Running out of fuel
Poor compression
Defective computer

Possible Solutions
If there are no symptoms, the simplest thing to do is to reset the code and see if it comes back.

If there are symptoms such as the engine is stumbling or hesitating, check all wiring and connectors that lead to the cylinders (i.e. spark plugs). Depending on how long the ignition components have been in the car, it may be a good idea to replace them as part of your regular maintenance schedule. I would suggest spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap, and rotor (if applicable). Otherwise, check the coils (a.k.a. coil packs). In some cases, the catalytic converter has gone bad. If you smell rotten eggs in the exhaust, your cat converter needs to be replaced. I've also heard in other cases the problems were faulty fuel injectors.
#3 (permalink) Old 01-09-2006, 09:49 PM
Super Moderator

Drives: 08 Sportage, 87 Mazda RX-7
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Jesus. DOnt go all off saying to this poor guy its this and that.... ILL TELL YOU EXACLY WHAT TO REPLACE. I noticed he didnt rear your post as he says it could be your coil packs which you said you replaced....
THis is a very common problem with the 1.8L..

GET NEW PLUG WIRES>>>>> it will be fine after..

08 Kia Sportage
07 Saturn Aura
87 Mazda RX-7
Working on a 07 RX-8

The Old
99 Sephia, 01 Spectra, 05 Spectra
#4 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 01:32 PM

(Thread Starter)

Eventhough I already replaced the wires I got another set and sure enough that was it. Now as soon as the computer completes relearn I should be golden.
Thanks for the help
Greg
#5 (permalink) Old 01-10-2006, 10:03 PM

Message for 1FASTKIA
You are just being petty, though I dont know thats the word for it, but not to worry, I will be placing you on my ignore list so I dont have to read any of your posts anymore, The information I placed was a sequence of troubleshooting steps that have helped many people track down problems in many unique situations.
But its okay, I will not stoop to such immature behavior.

Wishing all Well,
Christian
#6 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator

Drives: 08 Sportage, 87 Mazda RX-7
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

Well who was right first off???????
Thats what I thought..
Your resoning to this problem was crazy.. this that.. Blah blah blah.

for 1 if the ecu was faulty the car wouldnt run at all and it wouldnt have been a misfire code......
I have a book for every code for these cars... I know which code is for what... You were just guessing at this problem which isnt much help at all....... he wouldve started to replace everything you said and costed him hundreds of dollors for a 20 buck fix....

Ignore me all you want LOL your acting childish not me... I was just stating what was wrong with his car....

And if you ignore my posts you probaby wont be seeing a lot of posts lol since I post a lot.....

Your being the petty person here...

heres you resoning that was crazy

Faulty coil (pack)
Faulty oxygen sensor(s)
Faulty fuel injector
Burned exhaust valve
Faulty catalytic converter(s)
Running out of fuel
Poor compression
Defective computer

1. coil pack= he already replaced you didnt read his post.
2. Oxygen sensor will throw its own code and this wont casue a misfire EVER.
3. faulty fuel injector will not throw a misfire and also will have its own code.
4. burned exhaust valve.. hmmm car wouldnt run at all
5. bad catalytic converter wont throw a misfire code
6. running out of fuel hey dude you would have the low fuel light on and this wouldnt turn on the check engine light and def. not a misfire code.
7. poor compression the car would barely keep and idle even if it did start which i dont think it would...
8. defective ecu would casue car not to run..

So on every thought you had not one of those would ever thorw a misfire code...

get you facts right before you go all out telling ppl to replace this and that.

clap yourself on the back for and go cry me a river man...

not to be an azz but man calm down...

08 Kia Sportage
07 Saturn Aura
87 Mazda RX-7
Working on a 07 RX-8

The Old
99 Sephia, 01 Spectra, 05 Spectra
#7 (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rte205auto@Jan 10 2006, 03:32 PM
Eventhough I already replaced the wires I got another set and sure enough that was it. Now as soon as the computer completes relearn I should be golden.
Thanks for the help
Greg
Other than all the silly name calling and headbutting that went on during this issue apparently, I was just wanted to know if the issue actually was corrected??
In the welcome forum I read yesterday, I would not think that would be allowed on here anyway as this is supposed to be a friendly exchange of ideas, right???
Was just wandering if after the computer completed its relearn, which I am unsure of what you are talking about, if the problem was corrected, or if not, what did it take to correct it.
#8 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 07:59 PM

Maybe someone can help me out with a similar misfiring situation. I emailed 1fastkia about this privately, too.

My 04 spectra is only difficult to start sometimes. When it is, I'll have to give it gas and let it stumble around and idle it high and then suddenly it stabilizes and runs fine the rest of the duration and usually starts back up ok too. That is maybe 35% of the time. Other times it is normal. The error codes that came up were for cylinder 4, 3, and 2 (the autozone salesman who used to be a tech said it was mostly 4, then 3 and 2). I swapped the coil packs with my 03 that runs fine and also the coil wires and connectors to the coil packs. I replaced the plugs recently as well.

The only other error code that came up is for the torque converter circuit/switch. And sometimes it will not engage in drive or reverse. The rest of the time it shifts fine. And occasionally it might shift hard after accelerating at stop light shortly after it had been acting up. And if it flares up, once you get driving a bit it drives fine. Was thinking of doing a filter change and flush.

Any clues? It has 84k. I am going to check the battery connection (has new batt.) which could be loose on pos. side and make sure connections are secure under dash (had after market alarm installed which I removed and set wires back same with wire splicers).

Since I have the 03 I can try swapping something else out if you have any ideas.

Last edited by Apostasy; 01-06-2010 at 08:01 PM.
#9 (permalink) Old 09-12-2011, 09:37 AM

Default KIA problem

I have a 2000 Spectra with a similar problem. misfire codes on #2 and 3 cylinders. Have replaced the coil pack, and those 2 plugs. Car ran OK for 20 miles, then problem was back. Then it magically cured itself for 500 miles, now is back full time. Injectors are firing, but you can hear the miss out the tail pipe, it is like it is running on only 2 cylinders, and makes hardly any power. Any sugestions, other than Dynamite!!!
#10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2011, 08:24 AM

Default I solved it!

Finally solved the problem, after I did a compression test, and was ready to find a wrecking yard computer.
Number 3 spark plug wire was not firing for some reason. I replaced the wire with a scrap yard one I had from another vehicle, and the car magically ran like new! Seriously, it runs as smooth as silk now.
So all the misfire codes for #2 and 3 cylinders were caused by a bad plug wire on #3.
Hope this helps someone.

Kia Forum > KIA Models > Kia Cerato, Shuma & Spectra Forum > Shuma & Spectra (1997-2003)