Proper way to reset ECU? Which fuses? - Kia Forum
 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Full Member
 
Barreras956's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Laredo, Texas
Posts: 120
Drives: 2005 Kia Spectra LX
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Garage

Thread Starter (Thread Starter)
Proper way to reset ECU? Which fuses?

So my idle has been a bit higher than usual, which I've noticed is making my car somewhat vibrate when idling in drive or in park. They're about 900 almost 1000rpms. I wanted to try a ecu reset by removing the fuse for 15 minutes and then re installing and letting the car idle for another 15 minutes to reset the ecu. The only problem is my 2005 Kia Spectra has 3 ecu fuses. 2 in the engine labled ECU1 and ECU2, and 1 in the interior labeled ECU. The post I saw online with instruction just said to remove the ECU fuse, which is on most cars located in the engine, however, as you see our cars have 3. What's the proper way to do this procedure, and does anyone have any suggestions?

Barreras956 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-07-2014, 05:10 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Rockford, MN
Posts: 247
Drives: Subaru WRX
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)

If you wanna reset all the adaptive learning in all modules disconnect positive and negative battery cables and touch them together. It discharges any capacitors in the modules.
Kiatechkyle is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 04:34 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 18
Drives: 2005 Kia Spectra
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Never touch your negative and positive battery connections together u can blow your whole system. Just disconnect the negative on the battery what a few minutes then reconnect it usually will reset ur system. If that doesn't help check ur pcv valve for clogs or IAC for buildup
05spectraSX is offline  
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-31-2014, 11:10 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 298
Drives: 2014 Sportage LX AWD, 2014 Forte LX+
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05spectraSX View Post
Never touch your negative and positive battery connections together u can blow your whole system. Just disconnect the negative on the battery what a few minutes then reconnect it usually will reset ur system. If that doesn't help check ur pcv valve for clogs or IAC for buildup
Negative is Ground, DUH...

Only a person who didn't pay attention in school would short battery.

Positive or + has to be disconnected for 10 minutes or more. Most caps will discharge in that time. Good measure is to double it to 20 mins.
Ceezer is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2014, 10:21 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 18
Drives: 2005 Kia Spectra
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceezer View Post
Negative is Ground, DUH...

Only a person who didn't pay attention in school would short battery.

Positive or + has to be disconnected for 10 minutes or more. Most caps will discharge in that time. Good measure is to double it to 20 mins.
id have to argue with you on that one. I was taught the proper procedure with a DC circuit is to always disconnect the negative then if needed proceed to disconnect the positive. just to be on the safe side.
05spectraSX is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 08:12 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Rockford, MN
Posts: 247
Drives: Subaru WRX
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05spectraSX View Post
Never touch your negative and positive battery connections together u can blow your whole system. Just disconnect the negative on the battery what a few minutes then reconnect it usually will reset ur system. If that doesn't help check ur pcv valve for clogs or IAC for buildup
Care to explain how touching your negative and positive cables together with no voltage source (battery) is gonna 'blow your whole system'? I'm quite educated and experienced in DC circuits and strongly disagree with you.
RedGrandCarnival likes this.
Kiatechkyle is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 09:20 PM
Super Moderator
 
DavesSpectra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Massillon, Ohio, USA
Posts: 6,290
Drives: 2007 SpectraLX, 2006 SpectraSX, Kubuntu
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)

There is some confusion here...

The suggestion to touch the positive and negative together refers to the CABLES and NOT the posts on the battery.... by removing one cable from the battery (usually the negative(black)) lead and touching it to the positive lead (while still disconnected from the negative post on the battery) will not cause any serious problems...

JUST DON'T connect the battery terminals together!!!
THAT WILL CAUSE a VERY DANGEROUS condition!!!

With both of the battery cables disconnected and THEN touched together you have a very safe condition as the battery is no longer providing any current to the car...It's just sitting there...

The safest way is just disconnect the negative wire from the battery and wait aprox 1/2 hour... all charged backup capacitors will have discharged and the ECM's memory will have been erased.. The memory is stored in what is called an EPROM and the loss of power will result in erasure... An EEPROM (used in other electronics) will still have it's memory when power is re-established and may be used in newer and other cars...
DavesSpectra is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 07:16 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Rockford, MN
Posts: 247
Drives: Subaru WRX
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavesSpectra View Post
There is some confusion here...

The suggestion to touch the positive and negative together refers to the CABLES and NOT the posts on the battery.... by removing one cable from the battery (usually the negative(black)) lead and touching it to the positive lead (while still disconnected from the negative post on the battery) will not cause any serious problems...

JUST DON'T connect the battery terminals together!!!
THAT WILL CAUSE a VERY DANGEROUS condition!!!

With both of the battery cables disconnected and THEN touched together you have a very safe condition as the battery is no longer providing any current to the car...It's just sitting there...

The safest way is just disconnect the negative wire from the battery and wait aprox 1/2 hour... all charged backup capacitors will have discharged and the ECM's memory will have been erased.. The memory is stored in what is called an EPROM and the loss of power will result in erasure... An EEPROM (used in other electronics) will still have it's memory when power is re-established and may be used in newer and other cars...
i clearly stated in my orignal post on 10/07 to disconnect both cables.
Kiatechkyle is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator
 
DavesSpectra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Massillon, Ohio, USA
Posts: 6,290
Drives: 2007 SpectraLX, 2006 SpectraSX, Kubuntu
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)

You are a KIA Technician and this seems elementary to you...many readers of these forums and this thread are not all that educated on car safety and I'd much rather clarify the proper procedures for those reading this tread NOW and LATER than hear that someone was hurt by either trying to remove the positive cable first and shorting the wrench to a grounded part of the car or have them think (misread) that you should touch the positive and negative terminals on the battery together (DO NOT DO THIS as this harm YOU!!!)...
You MUST presume the next person reading YOUR (or my) post knows NOTHING about working on their car and needs basic cautions so they won't get hurt... We all have just started car repairs at sometime and many here at at that point...
If it is too simple for you ...so be it... We are here to help and NOT hurt others...
Dave
DavesSpectra is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 06:05 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 298
Drives: 2014 Sportage LX AWD, 2014 Forte LX+
Gallery: 0
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)

It may as well be 'proper' to disconnect Negative first... on a car's battery. Due to average Joe been accused of making contact of Positive on battery and chassis using his wrench.

If one wants to discharge caps properly and so on, and can 'avoid touching battery's positive with rest of car's metal parts - near impossible' I know.

I only have a little bit of electronics etc experience, made my Masters in Electrical Power back in 1988, may have forgotten shift load of BS.

Like, I only know of 5 Alien species living on this planet. And the reason they don't share their tech with us too
Ceezer is offline  
Reply

  Kia Forum > KIA Models > Kia Cerato, Shuma & Spectra Forum



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On