Kia Forum banner

Best option to program a 2017 Kia Sedona FOB

11K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  rougeben83 
#1 ·
We purchased a used 2017 for a fleet lot and it came with 2 key FOB's we were all excited and drive away well one of the doesn't work at all and they are refusing to program it but recommend a locksmith who may charge us. So is the dealership my best option to get the 2nd FOB working?

#2 ·
I was looking into buying a second FOB for a used 2017 that we just purchased, it only came with one FOB and a spare regular key.

I spoke to a local locksmith here in Dallas, he said he is not able to program the 2017 FOBs yet. He said the software has not been updated for the 2017 model. Check back in a couple of months to see if the software has released an update. He quoted me $225 for FOB, cutting, and programming.

Dealership quoted me 100 bucks for cutting and programming, 250 for the FOB. Which is crazy.

#3 ·
If your Sedona has keyless entry/start, it will require the original key code to programming additional FOBs. When you buy brand new, the key code comes with the 2 FOBs. With preowned, it's a crap shoot. Kia dealerships can look up the key code, but independent locksmiths cannot, so no choice but to let dealers do the programming. However, you can buy a genuine Kia FOB online for less than $250. Make sure it is the exact same one for your Sedona, as different trim levels come with different remote. I got my spare 6-button (Kia P/N 95440-A9300) off ebay for $85 shipped. Came brand new sealed in original packaging, which is important. Dealers may refuse to program it if it looks used. They probably could still programming it but since you bypassed them and din't let them make their money on the FOB...

If yours does not have keyless entry, then a locksmith with a good universal programmer should be able to program a new FOB. BTW, the physical key (or emergency key as Kia calls it) can be cut by any competent locksmith. Dealerships probably have them cut by an outside locksmith anyway. You can buy key blanks off ebay.

#4 ·
I was in the same boat as you, we only had one fob when we bought our fleet LX. I bought a new key fob for $85 on ebay (there's a lot of sellers in South Korea selling OEM parts) and had our local dealer program it - $125, which is the base rate for any service.

I called many locksmiths and they don't seem to have any luck with the newer keyless start models.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.