Kia Forum banner

About to purchase a '16 SXL leftover

3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Unwritten77 
#1 ·
My wife has been and I guess will always be in a minivan. She started driving a Ford Windstar in 2000 and then went to a 2002 Odyssey in 2004. The Odyssey we put 200k miles on with the only issue being a trans that was covered under the extended warranty (whew). She had a short stint in a Ford Flex but just didn't like it so for the past several years she has driven a '12 Chrysler T&C. It has been relatively trouble free but she is looking for a new van, even though the kids are grown, we do have a grand child.

We have the pricing below on a '16 Sedona SXL with the 8 passenger tech. Accessories include cross bars, locking lugs & cargo nets, none of which I care about. I was hoping for a better deal but not having the vehicle on the lot, I don't think the dealers were real motivated to sell the van. This was the best deal we could get on a vehicle all dealers had to go a state away for.

MSRP - $42,985
Dealer Discount - $3966.75
Dealer Fees + - $968.50
Dealer Price - $39,018.25
Kia Rebates - $1,000 or $500 + special financing (0% up to 60 months, .9% @ 66 months, 1.9% @ 72 months) We are taking the special financing for 60 months
Final Selling price - $38,518.25 +TTT

A deal on a '17 very much resembled the above with a slightly higher starting and ending price.

What can we expect to pay for an extended warranty? How susceptible are the front ends to road chips (our Odyssey was horrible, the T&C not so much)? Thinking about a clear bra.

Anything else we should be looking at?

See less See more
#2 ·
I think the 100k mile bumper to bumper extension was around $2k. I would definitely recommend the prepaid maintenance plan. It was only $800 for 3yr/36k miles and includes a set of tires towards the end of it. The tires alone probably would cost around $500 for those 19" rims.

I've had my '16 SX for 8 months now, just hit 10k miles. Haven't noticed any rock chips yet. I did get a nasty scratch on the rear bumper from a very poor parking job. (wish I had the 360 degree camera). Anyway, I have the Snow White Pearl paint and it's a tri-color paint that requires more than just base+clear. Makes repairs a little more difficult. Might want to research the paint color before buying if you are concerned about rock chips.

#3 ·
According to Edmunds, that's a fair price. I also expected greater discounts for a prior model year Kia, but as a 2016 SXL owner myself, I can say that I'm both pleased the discounts are not enormous (good for my resale value down the line?) and I am very pleased with the vehicle itself. We've had ours 9 months and 10K miles, no complaints at all.

Paint seems to be holding up fine, but a friend has the clear bra on his Toyota and likes it a lot. Worth $100 to you? Go for it.

The parking camera is really sweet. Good call on the Tech pkg. And make sure you install the free software upgrade, or have the dealer do it for you. That way you get Apple Car Play and Android Auto.

As for the warranty, I think a big plus for Kia in the first place is that you don't need the extended warranty because it comes with 10 year/100K powertrain and 5 year/60K B2B. We actually did get the prepaid maintenance with ours. I like doing my own routine maintenance, but I went for it this time because:
1) It is a lease. I admit it, my first Kia, I was a little skeptical and wanted to be able to walk away if things didn't go well. And it's nice to know the dealer is maintaining all the records for the entire length of our lease.
2) Dealer happens to be close to home, so it's no trouble for my wife to take it in on a slow weekday. Customer service has been fine so far.
3) They rolled it into the payment for so little extra - $300 for 45K miles, oil changes and tire rotations every 5K (That's really all it needs short of some visual inspections and air filters which I can do myself.) Manual says it can go 7500 miles between changes, but I prefer a more frequent schedule because it's very hot here in the summers, and most of my wife's driving is very short trips followed by sitting in a parking lot with engine idling, waiting for kids...

Most of all I really like the way it drives. It doesn't mind a full load - has good suspension and plenty of passing power. But it's also very comfortable and smooth with just one or two people on board. Feels less like a van from behind the wheel because of the driving dynamics, seating position, and traditional center console. Your wife may not be much of a driving enthusiast, but for the class, I think (and many pro reviews concur) the Sedona is the best handling.

Let us know how it works out.

#5 ·
You might want to get the Kia OEM remote start module, so you can use your smart key to remote start it. That eliminates having to carry an extra key fob with you. The smart key has plenty of range for me.

Both the smart key and the dedicated remote start fob can actually start the vehicle. The dedicated one has a range of 500ft or so though.

Dedicated Fob
Press once to lock (far left light flashes)
Press twice to unlock drivers door (middle light flashes)
Press twice and twice again to unlock all doors (middle light again)
Press once to lock and within a couple seconds hold until far right light flashes - remote start

if the lights don't flash then you are out of range. Press again to shutoff.

Smart Key
Press the lock button and then press either the open hatch button or the panic button and it will start
Press either again to shut off.

The car will run for 10 minutes, but I think you can change that to 5. Once you open a door you have 30 seconds to press the Start button or it will shut off. Still trying to find the best way to do that loading in the kids. Like I said, I just got my Kia also so give it a try.

#7 ·
Congrats!

The paint is very nice quality and resists chipping well. We have a couple small ones but nothing bad. My Lexus (and previous Lexus vehicles) is horrible with paint chips, and I do have a full clearbra on that for that reason. I've found japanese cars chip easily and american and german cars don't, I would add korean cars to that.

Ours is 2 years old, about 18,000 miles on it, but we have 2 year old twins so it gets the hell beat out of it, wash it once a month or so and just did, it holds up very well.

#8 ·
When we picked up the van I didn't even realize there were rear mud guards and window vents installed. Nice little feature. The window sticker says that is a $898 upgrade but there is not $900 there.

The wife is super excited after a day of driving around.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.